Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brandon Spikes holding out? No show for OTAs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Brandon Spikes holding out? No show for OTAs Reply with quote

Quote:
Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes was absent from the team's first organized team activity, held at Gillette Stadium on Monday, a league source confirms. The reason for the absence was unclear, but as colleague Mike Reiss noted on Sunday, Spikes has not been present much at the team's facility throughout the offseason.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4743589/source-spikes-not-present-at-ota

He's entering the last year of his contract at age 26 after a career year with 92 tackles and 5 FFs during the regaler season.

***Update***
Quote:
first official day of OTAs for Patriots and Brandon Spikes is a no-show; source says he hasn't been to facility in quite some time

http://twitter.com/shalisemyoung/statuses/336607899746983938

***Update***
Quote:
As I said on Total Access: I found #Patriots LB Brandon Spikes, who stayed away from OTAs. He's at Bommarito Performance Systems in Fla.

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/340245939107278849

Quote:
Pete Bommarito told me Spikes has hit his goals for athleticism. After mini-camp, Spikes will head back for pre-training camp training

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/340246291521085441

Quote:
Post going up on @NFL.com with Bommarito quotes. Why would Spikes do this? 1 thought: He's out to prove he's a 3-down LB in a contract year

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/340247338733928448
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:48 am; edited 6 times in total
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a holdout. Must be some personal thing going on.

Mack on the sig
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
It's not a holdout. Must be some personal thing going on.

It does say that he hasn't been present at the team's facility throughout the offseason.
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Mon May 20, 2013 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richter

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sincerely doubt he's getting a second contract from the Patriots anyway.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Because of his limitations as a player or because of his off-field persona?

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
Richter

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Richter wrote:

Combination of both, but more the former; he's a two down player in a passing league, and they have viable replacements in-house now. Mayo could slide back to the middle, Hightower could play there, Beauharnais might develop, and they have Collins and Ninkovich that can play outside. Worst case scenario, they have to draft one more front seven player to fill a hole at end next year if Ninkovich moves, or outside linebacker if they keep him at end and none of the young guys work out.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Richter wrote:

Combination of both, but more the former; he's a two down player in a passing league, and they have viable replacements in-house now. Mayo could slide back to the middle, Hightower could play there, Beauharnais might develop, and they have Collins and Ninkovich that can play outside. Worst case scenario, they have to draft one more front seven player to fill a hole at end next year if Ninkovich moves, or outside linebacker if they keep him at end and none of the young guys work out.
You don't think his big play ability (5 FF and 5 stuffs last season) might be enough of an overriding factor if he can keep it up through this season? I'm on the fence about him because while I realize he's a liability in coverage, I love his instinctiveness and the mean streak with which he plays.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
Richter

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Richter wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Richter wrote:

You don't think his big play ability (5 FF and 5 stuffs last season) might be enough of an overriding factor if he can keep it up through this season? I'm on the fence about him because while I realize he's a liability in coverage, I love his instinctiveness and the mean streak with which he plays.

No, I don't. He has a knack for that sort of play, but that kind of production is usually unsustainable. He's a great run defender, but it can't make up for his lack of speed and ability in coverage. I'd much rather have a faster, more versatile defender in the middle there, since the best defenses in the league tend to feature one (or more). I'm also irrationally high on Beauharnais, so I think there's a decent chance they already have a guy that can provide the proper skillset in the middle when Spikes departs next year.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Richter wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Richter wrote:

No, I don't. He has a knack for that sort of play, but that kind of production is usually unsustainable. He's a great run defender, but it can't make up for his lack of speed and ability in coverage. I'd much rather have a faster, more versatile defender in the middle there, since the best defenses in the league tend to feature one (or more). I'm also irrationally high on Beauharnais, so I think there's a decent chance they already have a guy that can provide the proper skillset in the middle when Spikes departs next year.

Don't fall too inlove with him, i could be wrong but you have a bad history with that right? don't mess it for the rest of it... the more you hate him the better.
Tom Brady Tribute
Richter

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Richter wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Richter wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Richter wrote:

Don't fall too inlove with him, i could be wrong but you have a bad history with that right? don't mess it for the rest of it... the more you hate him the better.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Bad history with prospects I like? I have a sterling record when it comes to that. It's rare that when I think a guy can play, he can't.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could got you confused with someone else, i was more referring to picking Patriot player you really like and they end up having bad seasons. [like in adopt-a-Patriot thread]

Just forgot it, i failed.

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/yeah-you-failed-jennifer-lawrence-gif.gif
Tom Brady Tribute
TomRalph

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikes is one of my favourite players. I know he's limited but he brings a fearless aggressiveness that our front 7 lacks without him.

I feared his days were numbered as soon as we selected Hightower.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4
finn54

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
It does say that he hasn't be present at the team's facility throughout the offseason.

Quote:
The reason for the absence was unclear, but as colleague Mike Reiss noted on Sunday, Spikes has not been present much at the team's facility throughout the offseason.

Can it really be considered a holdout if he has occasionally shown up? To label it a holdout without confirmation seems unwise at this point.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/yeah-you-failed-jennifer-lawrence-gif.gif

Also;

NO! BAD BILLY! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

It wasn't a direct link or anything, and i was using it on myself Laughing
Tom Brady Tribute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: