Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Roster hopeful Lockette is learning from Kaepernick
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Roster hopeful Lockette is learning from Kaepernick Reply with quote

Roster hopeful Lockette is learning from Kaepernick

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/19/5431627/roster-hopeful-lockette-is-learning.html#mi_rss=49ers

Quote:
Ricardo Lockette is so intent on landing a spot on the 49ers' roster that he bought a white board and markers so he could chart and study plays on his own time.

Lockette, 26, one of several undistinguished wide receivers fighting for a roster spot, has two notable advantages.

First is his access to the most critical player on the team. He and Kaepernick had instant chemistry when they met in February 2011, and they have been housemates since the 49ers added Lockette to the practice squad Sept. 25. They also spent the early part of the offseason training together near Atlanta.

Quote:
Lockette, 6-foot-2 and a muscular 211 pounds, said he's been studying film on new 49ers wide receiver Anquan Boldin, who built a 10-year NFL career not on speed he ran a slow 4.72-second 40 in 2003 but on smarts and toughness.

"I see how aggressive he is attacking the ball in the air, how he fights for yards after the play," Lockette said. "His passion for football every time he catches the football or even when he makes a mistake. There's a passion and aggression he brings to the game."

Nothing but positive things from Lockette since he's come on board. He should get a good opportunity to prove himself with Mario and Kyle sidelined.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: QB Reply with quote

Great to see at least one of our receivers building great rapport with his QB, and of course working hard to improve. Hopefully it will only help. I have this strange sense that Mario won't be back to start the year and we're going to need one of our young WRs to step up.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to see how much work he has put in all offseason and continuing up through the start of OTA's and training camp, but I seriously can't see a spot for him on the roster. Perhaps starting off if Manningham is on the PUP list; he can be our 6th wide out. Once manningham is healthy though, I can't see us carrying 7 wide receivers and I don't see them giving up on Jenkins yet. Kyle Williams still seems to be in favor with the staff as well.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooting hard for him and it would be great if he lands on the roster. However, if that is the case than Williams is probably gone. Well, actually since Manningham will likely start on the PUP list, we could keep both.

So we could go with Crabtree, Boldin, Williams, Lockette, Patton, and Jenkins for the start of the season.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Rooting hard for him and it would be great if he lands on the roster. However, if that is the case than Williams is probably gone. Well, actually since Manningham will likely start on the PUP list, we could keep both.

So we could go with Crabtree, Boldin, Williams, Lockette, Patton, and Jenkins for the start of the season.

Is Williams a candidate for PUP, or will he be ready for the season?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Is Williams a candidate for PUP, or will he be ready for the season?

I believe he'll actually be ready for the OTA's and training camp. i think manningham would have been ready sometime during the preseason.

48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's the 2nd oldest receiver on our team at 27. He does have a crap load of potential but has he missed his opportunity to reach it?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
He's the 2nd oldest receiver on our team at 27. He does have a crap load of potential but has he missed his opportunity to reach it?

Late bloomer?

SoCalNiner, Williams be ready to go for TC so he won't be on the PUP list.

Manningham will probably be ready around October.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he becomes a beast so we can laugh at the chicken fans.
Forge

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:

I didn't realize he was that old.

In baseball they have that "27 year old theory", so if it holds true, if there's any time for him to actually hit that potential, it would be this year i guess. I just don't know where we fit him on the roster without giving up on someone the staff likes (Jenkins/Williams).

757-NINER

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:

I didn't realize he was that old.

In baseball they have that "27 year old theory", so if it holds true, if there's any time for him to actually hit that potential, it would be this year i guess. I just don't know where we fit him on the roster without giving up on someone the staff likes (Jenkins/Williams).

I believe Lockette is still eligible for the PS in 2013
Forge

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Lockette has improved as much as we are hearing, and working and developing chemistry with Kaep, is it possible that in week 1, with Crabtree's injury, he could be the starter opposite Boldin? He certainly has the size for it, and I don't think he'll have trouble beating jams at the line...but looking at the wide receivers, our two most experienced coming off injuries and Jenkins and Patton having proven absolutely nothing, is it out of the realm of possibility that if he puts together a good camp he's our second starter?

48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
If Lockette has improved as much as we are hearing, and working and developing chemistry with Kaep, is it possible that in week 1, with Crabtree's injury, he could be the starter opposite Boldin? He certainly has the size for it, and I don't think he'll have trouble beating jams at the line...but looking at the wide receivers, our two most experienced coming off injuries and Jenkins and Patton having proven absolutely nothing, is it out of the realm of possibility that if he puts together a good camp he's our second starter?

Well we saw Ted Ginn have that role, I see no reason why Lockette cant. Kdub should be our #2 on week one but the #3 guy is where the battle is at. Also we cant forget about Marlon Moore

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:

What are you hearing about how much he has improved? Got a link where I can read about how much he's improved.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't realize he was 6'2. I always thought was someone who was barely 6 ft.

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: