Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

John Keim Redskins mail bag May 16th
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: John Keim Redskins mail bag May 16th Reply with quote

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins-mailbag-for-may-16-ask-john/article/2529831?utm_source=Washington%20Examiner:%20Redskins%20Newsletter%20-%2005/17/2013&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Washington%20Examiner:%20Reskins%20Newsletter

Highlights for me were as follows:

1. He sees Jawan Jamison threatening for a roster spot. Like all of us he loves Chris Thompson’s electric style, but like me he is very concerned about Thompson's durability. He sees Thompson as only a third-down back only. He agrees with what I've been saying about Royster is OK, but he is only adequate as a reserve and is replaceable, but that player has to be better, Royster shouldn't just be gotten rid of because we drafted some guys in the late rounds. He’s better running 15-20 times a game than given spot duty and being a third-down back. Keim seemed more excited about Jamison because he was a great pass protector in college, is a good pass catcher and he also fits our system well.

2. Keim talked about 5 players in the scondary that he thinks will be starters day 1. Like the rest of us he wants to wait to see the rookies play first in the preseason to make any final predictions. For now he has the starting cbs as:

Josh Wilson, DeAngelo Hall and E.J. Biggers in game 1.

He thinks Amerson will soon replace Biggers.

Safeties: Like us, he thinks Brandon Meriweather will win one starting spot but the other spot is up in the air. Like me he has a hard time seeing one of the rookie safeties earning a starting spot. It’s nice to fantasize about one of them doing so, but it's a far fetched thought. They both have to learn a lot and our defense is complicated for the safeties, they have to be interchangable.

He says we can't forget Tanard Jackson. If he is reinstated he could be A factor in the second half of the season but no one knows what kind of shape he's in because he would have had a year away from football.

Keim said this leaves Reed Doughty and DeJon Gomes to battle it out for the other starting spot next to Meriweather. We all know Doughty is better at SS, but so is Meriweather. DeJon Gomes needs to improve a lot before he can be counted on to be a starter but he's shown flashes, so it's not out of the realm of possibility to think Gomes can make the jump in his 3rd year in our system to be a starter.

He thinks it's "silly" to think either Thomas or Bacarri Rambo will come in and be better than Doughty or Gomes day one. Then, there is also Jordan Pugh who will be in the mix and has the versatility to play each position but has never started in the NFL.

Keim thinks they could use combinations and use players in different roles, we did that last year. He says that both Thomas and Rambo "might be" more talented than our returning safeties, but again, they have to learn a lot. The safeties in our defense are expected to do so much. They have a great role in both run support and in pass coverage and that takes a while to learn. Each safety also must be interchangeable at strong safety and free safety for the Redskins defensive scheme to be at its best. He thinks of the two rookies, Thomas could take over in the middle of the season if he improves his tackling.

Again though, John Keim's last line was, talk to me in August after he's seen them in pads. Laughing

Last edited by turtle28 on Sat May 18, 2013 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read.....

IMO Royster is done. He doesnt really do anything well. Jamison seems to have better hands, and is a better blocker with similar if not better running ability. Royster showed flashes in a coulpe games his rookie year, but really has'nt done much since.

What to do with Chris Thompson!!!! Thompson has all the potential in the world, but cant stay healthy......The same can be said for Helu. I guess they will slug it out in camp for one spot. I could see Thompson starting the year on the PUP list to fully recover from his knee injury. I really hope Helu will be able to keep his spot. I guess it all depends on his health. I cant imagine we keep 5 RBs. Should be a GREAT battle in camp for the RB position.

Morris, Jamison, Helu/Thompson.

As for Safety.........I cant imagine any way we keep Tenard Jackson unless we have a string of injuries. I really hope Thomas wins the job for FS in camp. He seems like a bright kid, and has tons of potential. I think he has a leg up on Rambo becasue he is more versitile. Rambo seems to need more seasoning in run support and tackling! I know alot of skins fans want to see Doughty go, but I think he is super important with leadership and knowledge in the secondary! He is great against the run and special teams. I dont see Gomes making this team unless he has an amazing camp. Hes not great against the run or pass.... Pugh is the wild card. He played pretty well last year when he got a chance. I guess we could roll with 5 S..

Meriweather, Doughty, Thomas, Rambo, Pugh.........Bernstine PUP
aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merriweather will start, if he's healthy.

I got a gut feeling we hit on both Safeties, but only 1 will start this season. (the other coming in for packages)

I don't know if it's the name or what it is, but I feel it will be Bacarri Rambo that earns the the other Safety spot as starter. I think he will prove to be an overall better player, than L. Landry.

I think 6th rd Rambo gets the nod over 4th rd Phillip Thomas. (Although I see Thomas coming in and getting good playing time)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sitting here watching Rambo highlights & I can't understand how this guy fell to us in the 6th rd. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMt4Y9Nt5bA
My brain doesn't comprehend that...

The guy has great vision, great hands & radar, plays smart like the kneel down he does in vid after the pic, can hit very well, can blitz the QB from the S position & seems to be real good at stripping the ball out from the runner. Seems to be very strong for his size.

There's only 2 things I see he needs to work on , imo.
1)He needs to wrap up when he tackles. Too many Landry type hits with no wrap up.
I know it's nice to get the highlight reel hits, but I want to see him take the guy down like a Fletcher tackle. (not asking too much...lol)

&

2)I know speed can't really be taught, but I would like him to try to improve his quickness, speed or lateral movement as best he can. Not saying he's slow by any means...looks great in the video, but he's going to be going up against top notch players on offense and will need every bit of his speed he has. Even at Safety. What did he run...4.6 area? 4.55?

He does look faster on tape though, so I'm really nitpicking here.

I will say again...
How this Georgia grad, made it to us in the 6th rd..I'll never know.
Dude has 1st rd instincts, when I watched him. crazy...
But I'll take it.

Yea, count me in on Rambo being the guy at the other Safety spot, guys...
I'm impressed.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
Good read.....

IMO Royster is done. He doesnt really do anything well. Jamison seems to have better hands, and is a better blocker with similar if not better running ability. Royster showed flashes in a coulpe games his rookie year, but really has'nt done much since.
Royster is a running back who needs a lot of carries to be effective, kind of like Alfred Morris. He very well may be done in DC because he isn't ever going to be a starter. He also isn't a guy you bring in as a change of pace like you would with Helu or our young draft picks and expect great results.

Royster also was injured before the season during training camp and the preseason. I think a lot of people forget that Royster had nagging injuries all year as well. If he's healthy, maybe he will show us something we didn't see last season, but I do agree that right now he's likely on the outside looking in when the final 53 man roster comes out.

Quote:
What to do with Chris Thompson!!!! Thompson has all the potential in the world, but cant stay healthy......The same can be said for Helu. I guess they will slug it out in camp for one spot. I could see Thompson starting the year on the PUP list to fully recover from his knee injury. I really hope Helu will be able to keep his spot. I guess it all depends on his health. I cant imagine we keep 5 RBs. Should be a GREAT battle in camp for the RB position.

Morris, Jamison, Helu/Thompson.
I tend to agree with this. I can't wait to see how it all pans out, we have good competition. I'm intrigued by Jamison, I know he has talent and if he had gone back to school was likely going to be a mid round pick in next years draft. I've been reading a lot of good things about him lately, so possibly he will be a real steal for us.

Quote:
As for Safety.........I cant imagine any way we keep Tanard Jackson unless we have a string of injuries. I really hope Thomas wins the job for FS in camp. He seems like a bright kid, and has tons of potential. I think he has a leg up on Rambo becasue he is more versitile. Rambo seems to need more seasoning in run support and tackling! I know alot of skins fans want to see Doughty go, but I think he is super important with leadership and knowledge in the secondary! He is great against the run and special teams. I don't see Gomes making this team unless he has an amazing camp. He's not great against the run or pass.... Pugh is the wild card. He played pretty well last year when he got a chance. I guess we could roll with 5 S..

Meriweather, Doughty, Thomas, Rambo, Pugh.........Bernstine PUP
I still think we'll keep only 4 safeties. It's far to early to predict but I do agree with a lot of what you said.

I guess at this point I'd say it will be this week 1:

SS: Doughty, Thomas
FS: Meriweather, Rambo

I think that Gomes and Pugh are going to have to play lights out this training camp and preseason to make the team and at this point I'd be shocked if it happens. So I think it's going to be hard for Gomes and Pugh to make the roster because of our draft picks and their talent and potential to be long term starters in the future. I definitely agree Bernstine will be on the practice squad because I don't think he's going to be 100%.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rizzy

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the common consensus on most of the players, as odd as it is since I was always a Reed basher I agree with you turtle that I think we keep the 4 you listed and prob pup/ir Bernstine. He just is the most fundamental/reliable of the rest and plays teams well.
NHL-Capitals
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rizzy wrote:
Agree with the common consensus on most of the players, as odd as it is since I was always a Reed basher I agree with you turtle that I think we keep the 4 you listed and prob pup/ir Bernstine. He just is the most fundamental/reliable of the rest and plays teams well.

Dude thats a dope Hankerson sig!!!!
Brian23

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Rambo to start at the FS spot as we don't have one...at all.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should have Helu and Thompson race in a 40, whoever doesn't tear their ACL makes the roster.

Redskins FFMD War Room
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=541707
Brian23

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
We should have Helu and Thompson race in a 40, whoever doesn't tear their ACL makes the roster.

Err. Helu doesn't have a problem with his ACL. His problem has been his achilles...
rizzy

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
rizzy wrote:

Dude thats a dope Hankerson sig!!!!

Yeah it is mike23md made it for me
NHL-Capitals
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceinthehouse wrote:
Merriweather will start, if he's healthy.

I got a gut feeling we hit on both Safeties, but only 1 will start this season. (the other coming in for packages)

I don't know if it's the name or what it is, but I feel it will be Bacarri Rambo that earns the the other Safety spot as starter. I think he will prove to be an overall better player, than L. Landry.

I think 6th rd Rambo gets the nod over 4th rd Phillip Thomas. (Although I see Thomas coming in and getting good playing time)

I don't see either rookie starting the season, but each earning playing time throughout the season. Next year, I think Thomas is the starting SS day 1 and Rambo is the starting FS day 1.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Laughing that's funny
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:

Err. Helu doesn't have a problem with his ACL. His problem has been his achilles...
I thought it was also a turf toe and the turf toe is what he's having problems with now and just had surgery on a month ago. He was getting better, but I thought I read he recently had a set back.

Here is the report from last year when we shut Helu down for the season:

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/09/26/roy-helu-placed-on-season-ending-injured-reserve/

Quote:
He was wearing a walking boot on his left foot. Helu most recently has been plagued by a turf toe injury. Earlier, he was hampered by Achilles’ tendon injuries in both legs.

“It was a heck of an experience the last month going through the Achilles and then the turf toe,” Helu said. “It was very difficult.”

MKnight82

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:

It was a joke.

Redskins FFMD War Room
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=541707

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: