Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

KO rush must bring our pass rush back to life

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62510
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: KO rush must bring our pass rush back to life Reply with quote

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nfceast&id=51431&src=desktop

Orakpo and Kerrigan must become one of the best pass rushing duos in the NFL if our defense is going to improve overall as a unit. Everyone is certainly counting on the former 1st round picks to become leaders on and off the field and lead this defense to new heights. Obviously, when we invested two first round picks on these players we expected for them to being us a dominant pass rush.

As I've stated before, Rak is 100% healthy now, 5 months before the season so we should look forward to a big year from him and if Jerrigan can just progress the way he did from his rookie year to last year, he should have double digit sacks this season. Having Rak back will make the entire front 7 better as teams will key on slowing down Orakpo and that will free up other pass rushers. Hopefully, our pass rush returns to getting 40+ sacks this year, as they did in 2011 when Rak was healthy opposite Kerrigan, instead of staying only getting in the low 30s in sacks as they did in 2012 w/o Rak. Also w/o Rak our pass defense dropped from 13th in 2011 to 30th last year. His pressure was greatly missed as quarterbacks had more time to find open wide receivers.

Quote:
Prior to last season, the questions about Orakpo were whether he could elevate his game from very good to to great -- joining the elite pass-rushers in the league with a double-digit sack total. He hasn't had that since his rookie season, when he was a defensive end in a 4-3 scheme. Though Pro Football Focus ranked him as the No. 4 rush linebacker in the league in 2011 (behind only Aldon Smith, DeMarcus Ware and Cameron Wake), nine sacks didn't feel like enough for a player drafted that high and playing in a defense designed to make stars out of outside linebackers.


Kerrigan was picked 16th overall in the 2011 draft. As I said, he has steadily gotten better in each of his seasons. When the Redskins selected Kerrigan, their vision a hyper-athletic pass-rush from each side of the defense that would force teams to have to focus on stopping one of them and thus freeing the other outside line backer up to go one on one. The Redskins hasn't had that kind of effective pass rush since the 80s when they had Mann and Manley. Teams did what most expected in 2011, they committed extra blockers to Orakpo. When they did this it allowed Kerrigan to face just one blocker and with his great pass rushing skills he was able to take advantage of less athletic right tackles. Kerrigan had 7.5 sacks as a rookie in 2011 and 8.5 in 2012, in spite of having to play without Orakpo in the final 14 games. Without Orakpo, teams were able to commit those extra blockers to Kerrigan last year but it didn't slow him down as he tallied one more sack on the season than he had as a rookie. Kerrigan has flashed playmaking ability in each of his first two seasons in DC. He had an interception returned for a touchdown in both 2011 and 2012.

Despite how well both players have played as Redskins, the team still hasn't gotten get the consistent, week-to-week quarterback pressure neded for the defense to become one of the best in the NFL. The Redskins need their young duo of pass rushing outside linebackers to take the next step in their development and become the best pass rush in the division. If Kerrigan and Orakpo can take the step from being good to elite, then Redskins as a team should take the next step as well and start winning playoff games.

It all starts up front with these two on the defense though.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: @Baltimore 2; Final Cuts 9; Reg Season 17
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
New Era Skins


Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 87
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is them all staying healthly, if they are we definitely got one of best tandems. Also with Jacksons return after the suspension brings a great spell to Orakpo. Brandon Jenkins is going to be a beast for us in my opinion as Kerrigans reserve. This core definitely has potential to be something special.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skinsfanLA


Joined: 19 Aug 2005
Posts: 5273
Location: In Thaiphoon's Head
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big fan of the nickname KO for our pass rush!

Similar to Area 51 we had at Saftey for 9 weeks a few years ago.
_________________
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
If you're paying for steak, and you get it well done, just order a burger.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ahhhh the old "unnamed source". It's been way too long, my very credible friend!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RSkinGM


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 3717
Location: Richmond, Va
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KO Rush,, so if they don't have a great year ,, then it becomes the OK rush .. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
THESKINSFAN21


Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Posts: 4283
Location: West Palm Beach
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
KO Rush,, so if they don't have a great year ,, then it becomes the OK rush .. Cool

Heyooooo!
_________________

mike23md on the sig
David Amerson-48 Tackles 12 PD 2 INT 1 TD 1 FF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 19614
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
KO Rush,, so if they don't have a great year ,, then it becomes the OK rush .. Cool


Would probably be better than the 0 rush we had last year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62510
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
KO Rush,, so if they don't have a great year ,, then it becomes the OK rush .. Cool


Would probably be better than the 0 rush we had last year.
Kerrigan did get 8.5...
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: @Baltimore 2; Final Cuts 9; Reg Season 17
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 19614
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
KO Rush,, so if they don't have a great year ,, then it becomes the OK rush .. Cool


Would probably be better than the 0 rush we had last year.
Kerrigan did get 8.5...


Last season, we had a combined 32 sacks, which is a raw ranking for 23rd best in the league (tied with Indianapolis). So Kerrigan had more than a quarter of our sacks. Bully for him.

However, we also faced the most passing attempts in the league, which means that guys like Kerrigan should have gotten a lot more. Boo-urns to him.

In fact, per http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2012/opp.htm we had the 5th worst sack rate [sacks / (passes attempted against + sacks)] in the league at 4.8%, only beating out New Orleans (4.7% (602 attempts vs. 30 sacks)), Oakland (4.5% (526 attempts vs. 25 sacks)), Tampa Bay (4.1% (627 vs. 27)) and Jacksonville (3.6% (535 vs. 20 sacks)).

By comparison, Indianapolis who tied us with 32 sacks only faced 535 attempts, so they had a sack rate of 5.6%. While that's still below the league average of 6.2%, they were in their first year of a 3-4 conversion (our first year was a 4.8% (578 attempts vs. 29 sacks) ... or essentially where were in 2012).

In short, our pass rush was a zero last year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62510
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
KO Rush,, so if they don't have a great year ,, then it becomes the OK rush .. Cool


Would probably be better than the 0 rush we had last year.
Kerrigan did get 8.5...


Last season, we had a combined 32 sacks, which is a raw ranking for 23rd best in the league (tied with Indianapolis). So Kerrigan had more than a quarter of our sacks. Bully for him.

However, we also faced the most passing attempts in the league, which means that guys like Kerrigan should have gotten a lot more. Boo-urns to him.

In fact, per http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2012/opp.htm we had the 5th worst sack rate [sacks / (passes attempted against + sacks)] in the league at 4.8%, only beating out New Orleans (4.7% (602 attempts vs. 30 sacks)), Oakland (4.5% (526 attempts vs. 25 sacks)), Tampa Bay (4.1% (627 vs. 27)) and Jacksonville (3.6% (535 vs. 20 sacks)).

By comparison, Indianapolis who tied us with 32 sacks only faced 535 attempts, so they had a sack rate of 5.6%. While that's still below the league average of 6.2%, they were in their first year of a 3-4 conversion (our first year was a 4.8% (578 attempts vs. 29 sacks) ... or essentially where were in 2012).

In short, our pass rush was a zero last year.
yep. I get that, I was just saying that he played as good as or better than he had as a rookie.

This is what Rak can do for you....

It can turn your "Zero" pass rush into a "hero" pass rush!

See our team tied for 10th in the nfl in 2011 with 41 sacks. 9 more than last year
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: @Baltimore 2; Final Cuts 9; Reg Season 17
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 19614
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
KO Rush,, so if they don't have a great year ,, then it becomes the OK rush .. Cool


Would probably be better than the 0 rush we had last year.
Kerrigan did get 8.5...


Last season, we had a combined 32 sacks, which is a raw ranking for 23rd best in the league (tied with Indianapolis). So Kerrigan had more than a quarter of our sacks. Bully for him.

However, we also faced the most passing attempts in the league, which means that guys like Kerrigan should have gotten a lot more. Boo-urns to him.

In fact, per http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2012/opp.htm we had the 5th worst sack rate [sacks / (passes attempted against + sacks)] in the league at 4.8%, only beating out New Orleans (4.7% (602 attempts vs. 30 sacks)), Oakland (4.5% (526 attempts vs. 25 sacks)), Tampa Bay (4.1% (627 vs. 27)) and Jacksonville (3.6% (535 vs. 20 sacks)).

By comparison, Indianapolis who tied us with 32 sacks only faced 535 attempts, so they had a sack rate of 5.6%. While that's still below the league average of 6.2%, they were in their first year of a 3-4 conversion (our first year was a 4.8% (578 attempts vs. 29 sacks) ... or essentially where were in 2012).

In short, our pass rush was a zero last year.
yep. I get that, I was just saying that he played as good as or better than he had as a rookie.

This is what Rak can do for you....

It can turn your "Zero" pass rush into a "hero" pass rush!

See our team tied for 10th in the nfl in 2011 with 41 sacks. 9 more than last year


You're looking at the raw number again.

Sack Rate: 509 attempts vs. 41 sacks = 7.5% sack rate (tied for sixth with St. Louis (484 vs. 39) and NY Giants (589 vs. 4Cool).

And I agree with you regarding Orakpo ... I'm just saying that we need him back because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj563ViG7Qg&t=6 (slightly NSFW due to language)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group