Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seahawks DE Bruce Irvin suspended by the NFL for 4 games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown_Mamba

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:
There is no defensive leader at the moment. It was was one of my major concerns about the Seahawks defense last season.

Russell Wilson is well on his way to being the offensive leader but he is still young and the offensive positive testers happened before he took on that role.

I really feel like Wagner and/or Thomas are in prime positions to be defensive leaders. But they're not very vocal.

Dirk No-Miss-zki fan
chpjns15

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown_Mamba wrote:
Tooki wrote:
There is no defensive leader at the moment. It was was one of my major concerns about the Seahawks defense last season.

Russell Wilson is well on his way to being the offensive leader but he is still young and the offensive positive testers happened before he took on that role.

I really feel like Wagner and/or Thomas are in prime positions to be defensive leaders. But they're not very vocal.

Agreed. But I think that Sherman, Big Red, and KJ Wright make up for it. They seem to be the leaders of that D.

"If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, don't play."

"Getting a paper cut, that is tragedy. Someone falling down a sewer and dying, that is comedy."
Tooki

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chpjns15 wrote:
Brown_Mamba wrote:
Tooki wrote:

Agreed. But I think that Sherman, Big Red, and KJ Wright make up for it. They seem to be the leaders of that D.

Firstly, I miss Lofa. Secondly, I don't see the leadership from those players. I do hold a slight bias to vocal leaders but the defense is quite undisciplined. I haven't seen anybody stand up and take control (which is understandable considering how young it is and that the older players aren't vocal guys either).

I do expect somebody to grow into the role but as of right now I don't see that definitive leadership that the team needs.
Ring Worm Sherm

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we have Russell Wilson playing we will be fine. He is our leader. We have a good amount of great leaders on this team. Mike Rob, Unger, Clem, Earl, Baldwin, etc. We will be fine. The young pups are just making some mistakes which happens, and hopefully they learn from it. While it's annoying and frustrating and people will call us the Seadderall Seahawks, losing Irvin really isn't that big of a deal. Especially for only four games and two of them being at home where our pass rush will still be great with Avril, Bennett, and Clem should be back sometime early in the season. I'm really not too worried about this but just more annoyed this keeps happening.

“Its pay back, Russell Wilson"
Tooki

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Also) At least Bruce is able to participate in the off-season workouts.
Ring Worm Sherm

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown_Mamba wrote:
Tooki wrote:

I would say Earl is very vocal on the field. He's pretty quiet off the field, but thats a good thing. If you listen to his Mic'd up he is very passioniate, talkative, and always getting guys in their spots. There is no doubt in my mind we have good leaders on the defensive side. Maybe you could be meaning in the locker room also and trying to keep these guys in line, but I think keeping them from taking PEDs is out if their control. I'm sure they have said cut it out.

Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ring Worm Sherm wrote:
Brown_Mamba wrote:
Tooki wrote:

I would say Earl is very vocal on the field. He's pretty quiet off the field, but thats a good thing. If you listen to his Mic'd up he is very passioniate, talkative, and always getting guys in their spots. There is no doubt in my mind we have good leaders on the defensive side. Maybe you could be meaning in the locker room also and trying to keep these guys in line, but I think keeping them from taking PEDs is out if their control. I'm sure they have said cut it out.
Agreed. Earl is the leader of the secondary, no question. We'll see Wagner take over as the leader of the defense soon enough.

^Rammy
Biggest Irvn, Michael, and ET Supporter

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'll put the 2013 Seahawks one spot over the 2008 Steelers on the Top 10
hdshot

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Sherman is the leader on the D right now. He gets under the skin of other teams and their fans which takes a lot of heat off his team mates from the head games players use on each other.

I don't see BI being much of a leader, just pure talent of speed.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdshot wrote:
I would say Sherman is the leader on the D right now. He gets under the skin of other teams and their fans which takes a lot of heat off his team mates from the head games players use on each other.

I think there's a difference between being vocal and being a leader. Chad Johnson was never a leader in Cinci. Seattle has a loud DB crew aside from Earl. The irony is that out on the field, Earl directs. It's pretty normal for your FS to be the leader of the secondary though. They see everything going on in front of them.

I wish we could create a hybrid of Wagner and Tatupu. Wagner's physical play and ability combined with Tatupu's instincts and leadership. We'd have a MLB of Ray Lewis caliber.

^Rammy
Biggest Irvn, Michael, and ET Supporter

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'll put the 2013 Seahawks one spot over the 2008 Steelers on the Top 10
imani

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
hdshot wrote:

I think there's a difference between being vocal and being a leader. Chad Johnson was never a leader in Cinci. Seattle has a loud DB crew aside from Earl. The irony is that out on the field, Earl directs. It's pretty normal for your FS to be the leader of the secondary though. They see everything going on in front of them.

I wish we could create a hybrid of Wagner and Tatupu. Wagner's physical play and ability combined with Tatupu's instincts and leadership. We'd have a MLB of Ray Lewis caliber.

Aside from the natural leadership, pretty much

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
TheDudeAbides

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I think it's something we're go to see more and more of - the Seahawks (shocked we haven't seen the Seadderall Seahawks jokes flying just yet...) appear to be at the vanguard, but much of that has to do with our youth as a team - and as this is a very prevalent stimulant used in colleges everywhere (not just sports), I think the percentage of players who are already hooked on it coming into the league will grow (I understand it's addictive, as any amphetamine would be).

We do need to get some leaders to step up and get guys clean ASAP (maybe during the offseason, when a treatment plan could go somewhat quietly) - this is as talented a squad as we've ever seen in Seattle and if it blows up because of PEDs, it's going to be just another Seattle sports disappointment. Might have to call Cleveland and see if they have support groups out there... we're getting to that point.

TommyC376 on the Sig
clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that the fact that throughout this topic you guys have differing opinions on who is or isnt in that leadership role shows the lack of leadership. Most teams fans will name the same relative group of guys as leaders. Clearly you guys have an extremely talented and young group. The leadership should emerge as you keep the core together.

I think WIlson is on his way to becoming the leader of the team, but it's real hard for a first year QB to take that role. I think the overall attitude of the team will chgange over the next couple of seasons. As people believe the Seahawks to be good the attitude of the team will change.

THey play with a chip on their shoulders right now because they get no respect. As they put together some successful seasons they will begin to play with a quiet confidence and thats where the leaders will take shape.

They mirrors my Niners so much. The Niners played on defense with an attitude for a few years. Now they just play like they know they are good. It's just a different feel. They don't waver and they play with better control of their emotions.

We are in for some serious games in the coming years for sure.

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
imani

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:
i think that the fact that throughout this topic you guys have differing opinions on who is or isnt in that leadership role shows the lack of leadership. Most teams fans will name the same relative group of guys as leaders. Clearly you guys have an extremely talented and young group. The leadership should emerge as you keep the core together.

I think WIlson is on his way to becoming the leader of the team, but it's real hard for a first year QB to take that role. I think the overall attitude of the team will chgange over the next couple of seasons. As people believe the Seahawks to be good the attitude of the team will change.

THey play with a chip on their shoulders right now because they get no respect. As they put together some successful seasons they will begin to play with a quiet confidence and thats where the leaders will take shape.

They mirrors my Niners so much. The Niners played on defense with an attitude for a few years. Now they just play like they know they are good. It's just a different feel. They don't waver and they play with better control of their emotions.

We are in for some serious games in the coming years for sure.

Most of us agree that the defense lacks, and is still developing, a true and unquestioned leader. We all agree the Russell Wilson and Mike Rob make up the leaders on offense. Russell Wilson is the clear leader, undisputed leader of this entire team. How long he's been in the league doesn't really affect that. The PED problem itself is showing a lack of disciplinary action within the organization and FO, combined with the absence of no-tolerance policies. Pete is a great players coach and likes to roll with the punches and go with the flow. The problem, is that it seems to be getting us into to trouble as some the players are being careless in that leniency. We'll take on any talented player that's willing to compete for their spot, but now we need to implement some boundaries. We can't continue to have these offseason hiccups and distractions and expect it not to come back and haunt us down the road. Something needs to be done, and I don't think one strong leader out of the players is going to prevent every single seahawk from making these kind of mistakes in the offseason. It's time to establish a standard

I'm not really seeing all the similarities with the Niners that people are talking about either. We're two physical football teams, with up and coming QBs and a strong running game. Aside from that, we are completely different. This defense doesn't thrive off of emotion (though, that doesn't mean it isn't ever-present), it thrives off of competitiveness, as does the rest of the team. DIfferent coaching styles, schemes, personnel, and position value. The way each team rose to the top was completely separate and almost unique, individually. I'm not necessarily saying it's you, but some 49ers fans (and fans around the league) are making it seem like we are following in the 49ers footsteps and borrowing their mantras. I believe this to be very far from the truth. It just seems to be a common conclusion because the niners were able to put it together a season before the seahawks did.

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Ring Worm Sherm

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, how old is Bruce Irvin?

It you google him, the first hit says he was born in November 1987. Then there is another wiki saying he was born in January 1990. Then on ESPN it says he was born January 1987. So he is either 26 or 23. Which one is it? I really hope he is not 26 because he will be out of his prime in like 4 years

imani

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a lot more tread than other players, due to his back story. I'd say he starts slowing down around 32/33

wwhickok wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: