Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

It's official: Martez Wilson will be an OLB, not ILB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
domepatrol91

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: It's official: Martez Wilson will be an OLB, not ILB Reply with quote

Quote:
The third-year linebacker arrived in New Orleans ready to play outside linebacker in former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams' 4-3 defense. Then before last season, he was switched to defensive end during Steve Spagnuolo's one-season stint with the Saints. Now a year into that experiment, Wilson finds himself back at outside linebacker.

Only this time, he's doing so in the 3-4 alignment being implemented by new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/05/new_orleans_saints_olb_martez.html

It's really not surprising, but as far as I know this has been the first time that we've had anything other than speculation as to where 'Tez is going to play.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is his best chance to win a starting spot given how weak we are at OLB so hopefully he steps up and performs.
FLOODx

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I asked him he said he'd be playing both, but I'm guessing he'll see most of his time at OLB.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Far RR is 1 For 3.

Hicks At DE...Yes.

Smith At OLB...no.

Tez At OLB...no.

The Saints Have DOne A Fabulous Job At PIssing Tezs Career Away.
Harper41

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, Martez was one of the best pass rushers on the team last year. He just didn't see a ton of snaps. He should do fine at OLB and his athleticism will definitely help with covering TEs.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Eh, Martez was one of the best pass rushers on the team last year. He just didn't see a ton of snaps. He should do fine at OLB and his athleticism will definitely help with covering TEs.

-He Is Not A Good Edge Rusher...He Is Good At Blitzing The A/B Gap.
-He Has Proven Nothing In Man Coverage

He DOes Not Have The Football Abilities To Be OLB. He Is An ILB.
Harper41

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

-He Is Not A Good Edge Rusher...He Is Good At Blitzing The A/B Gap.
-He Has Proven Nothing In Man Coverage

He DOes Not Have The Football Abilities To Be OLB. He Is An ILB.

Last year, at DE, he was a top pass rusher in the league on a per snap basis. Small sample size but this myth of him not being a good edge rusher is simply that... A myth. I trust an NFL DC more than the posters on footballsfuture, if Ryan sees him as an OLB then he's more than likely a better fit there.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
krewebrees

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official: Martez Wilson will be an OLB, not ILB Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
It's really not surprising, but as far as I know this has been the first time that we've had anything other than speculation as to where 'Tez is going to play.

I'm still gonna consider this speculation, and everything else, until Payton, Ryan, or Tez says where he's playing. I believe he will play both, but be listed at outside. I'm not to concerned with where they're listed. I could see Galette, Thomas, Wilson, and Butler all on the field at once, but who cares that's 4 OLBs if they're doing what they're good at. Thomas in coverage the others blitzing.

Adopt a Saint 2013
Malcolm Jenkins: 71 tckl, 3 PDef, 2 int, 2 ff, 2.5 sck
Fray32

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could be playing defensive tackle for all I care. As long as him, Hicks, Galette see the field significantly more this year than years prior, I'll be okay. These guys are the kinds of incredible athletes we've been missing in our front 7 since...... uhm..... just goes to show how long its been Laughing
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
-He Is Not A Good Edge Rusher

I think you missed a couple games, bro. He is better than you are giving him credit for.

Robust Perry wrote:
They were the dirtiest organization in football

In reference to the Saints.
QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with that. He's so athletic that this should work out.
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

I think you missed a couple games, bro. He is better than you are giving him credit for.

Let me think...ok...here it is. Here are his sacks:

Week 5 (vs Panthers): Lined up at ILB. Shot through the A gap, out-muscled the center and ran down Cam Newton like a Lion does a gazelle. THIS IS HIS ROLE IN THE NFL.

Week 18 (vs 49ers): Lined up at ILB. Different game similar story. Shot up the A/B gap like a cannon and collected 1.5 sacks. THIS IS HIS ROLE IN THE NFL.

Week 5 (vs Chargers): Lined up at RDE. He went up against a LIMPING LT (Jared Gaither)and was able to easily run around the LT for the sack/fumble. You or I could have made that sack.

Week 9 (vs Eagles): Lined up at ILB...shot up the A gap like a rocket and put Michael Vick into the dirt before Vick had the opportunity to scramble. Very ala 2011. THIS IS HIS ROLE IN THE NFL.

Week 10 (vs Falcons): Line up at ILB. Matt Ryan tripped over his own goofy feet and Martez Wilson two hand touched him for a sack. He was simply in the right place at the right time.

What were you saying again?
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So because he's had success at ILB it means he can't have success at OLB? Bravo, fantastic fool proof logic.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
navysaintsfan wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

Week 5 (vs Panthers): Lined up at ILB. Shot through the A gap, out-muscled the center and ran down Cam Newton like a Lion does a gazelle. THIS IS HIS ROLE IN THE NFL.

Week 18 (vs 49ers): Lined up at ILB. Different game similar story. Shot up the A/B gap like a cannon and collected 1.5 sacks. THIS IS HIS ROLE IN THE NFL.

Week 5 (vs Chargers): Lined up at RDE. He went up against a LIMPING LT (Jared Gaither)and was able to easily run around the LT for the sack/fumble. You or I could have made that sack.

Week 9 (vs Eagles): Lined up at ILB...shot up the A gap like a rocket and put Michael Vick into the dirt before Vick had the opportunity to scramble. Very ala 2011. THIS IS HIS ROLE IN THE NFL.

Week 10 (vs Falcons): Line up at ILB. Matt Ryan tripped over his own goofy feet and Martez Wilson two hand touched him for a sack. He was simply in the right place at the right time.

Because sacks are the only measure of ones pass rush ability. If that were the case we should have been done with Cam Jordan after his rookie season.

Are you honestly going to act like you never saw Tez getting into the backfield while lining up at DE? He did it a lot. Just never got to the QB. That doesn't mean he can't.

Robust Perry wrote:
They were the dirtiest organization in football

In reference to the Saints.
Harper41

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:
navysaintsfan wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

Because sacks are the only measure of ones pass rush ability. If that were the case we should have been done with Cam Jordan after his rookie season.

Are you honestly going to act like you never saw Tez getting into the backfield while lining up at DE? He did it a lot. Just never got to the QB. That doesn't mean he can't.

Yep, I posted an article from PFF awhile ago that showed on a per snap basis he was one of the best DEs in the league at pressuring the QB, he just didn't play much which I blame Spags more. I can definitely see Martez Wilson being a 10 sack guy and athletic enough to slow down the top TEs in the league.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: