Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ah, the Onion again (updated with another Onion article!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Ah, the Onion again (updated with another Onion article!) Reply with quote

Gotta love the Onion poking fun at our boys again...

Quote:

Biggest Sports Collapses
With Sergio Garcia plummeting from first place to a seven-way tie for eighth at the Players Championship last weekend, Onion Sports examines some of the worst chokes in the history of athletic competition.

82 B.C.: After bloodying a lion within an inch of death, a Roman gladiator momentarily ponders the cruelty of mankind, giving the lion time to bite into the guy’s throat and eat him
1930-present: Detroit Lions
1964: Following a heavyweight title, promising young boxer Cassius Clay proceeds to go winless for the rest of his career while virtual unknown Muhammad Ali begins his dominance of the sport.

And here's a bit about Calvin Johnson:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/calvin-johnson-says-he-played-2012-season-with-bro,32537/

Last edited by Laimbrane on Wed May 22, 2013 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey now. That collapse didn't begin until 1958.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Hey now. That collapse didn't begin until 1958.

That's what my thoughts were. I get the joke, would just make more sense if they didn't include our championship years.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
MrLionzz

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lions were beasts in the 50's so 1930 till present is a bit of a stretch. I think that the lions are one of the organizations on the rise. Key Free agents, Promising rookies and a host of solid vets.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrLionzz wrote:
The Lions were beasts in the 50's so 1930 till present is a bit of a stretch. I think that the lions are one of the organizations on the rise. Key Free agents, Promising rookies and a host of solid vets.

You had the 5th overall pick this year so up is about the only direction to go. It's like saying we are down to only 5 arrests this year so its getting better.
tippitover

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
MrLionzz wrote:

You had the 5th overall pick this year so up is about the only direction to go. It's like saying we are down to only 5 arrests this year so its getting better.

Judging on how your posting im going to guess your not a Detroit fan. With that assumption in mind quietly exit the forum and take your trolling somewhere else. Please and thank you and don't let the door hit ya where the lord split ya.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tippitover wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:
MrLionzz wrote:

Judging on how your posting im going to guess your not a Detroit fan. With that assumption in mind quietly exit the forum and take your trolling somewhere else. Please and thank you and don't let the door hit ya where the lord split ya.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that isn't trolling. May be a bit of pointing out the obvious, but in the end he is right.
tippitover

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
tippitover wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:
MrLionzz wrote:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that isn't trolling. May be a bit of pointing out the obvious, but in the end he is right.

While I have no gripe of the validity of the comment the fact that a poster from another team comes in here to point out our short comings from the last year AKA "you guys suck" is off putting and in poor taste. Also I see it as another low blow to comment on "Arrests" as we were the poster children last offseason for people who couldnt keep there weed at home.

All Im saying is if I was commenting on another teams section I would add constructive conversation. Something that would add to conversation not just a blerb about how we essentially suck and our players are just praying to land on community chest so they can get a "get out of jail free" card.

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ah, the Onion again Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:
Gotta love the Onion poking fun at our boys again...

Quote:

Biggest Sports Collapses
With Sergio Garcia plummeting from first place to a seven-way tie for eighth at the Players Championship last weekend, Onion Sports examines some of the worst chokes in the history of athletic competition.

82 B.C.: After bloodying a lion within an inch of death, a Roman gladiator momentarily ponders the cruelty of mankind, giving the lion time to bite into the guy’s throat and eat him
1930-present: Detroit Lions
1964: Following a heavyweight title, promising young boxer Cassius Clay proceeds to go winless for the rest of his career while virtual unknown Muhammad Ali begins his dominance of the sport.

I absolutely love the Cassius Clay reference. To think he went winless and is still arguably the greatest athlete of all time is amazing. Wink

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: