Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

T Smiths family problems, Witten Peak, Rod moved Wilber
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hold out hope for Arkin because I thought he played quite solidly at C last preseason-- especially since he was pretty much holding down the fort himself and that he had never played a single snap at C before at any level of football.

Interestingly, this isn't the first time I've heard what Callahan had to say about Arkin. There's a poster at Blogging the Boys called Birddog26 who is a free-lance scout/consultant for NFL teams. He gave Callahan's reasoning, almost word-for-word, when asked, during the season, why Arkin wasn't active.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
I hold out hope for Arkin because I thought he played quite solidly at C last preseason-- especially since he was pretty much holding down the fort himself and that he had never played a single snap at C before at any level of football.

Interestingly, this isn't the first time I've heard what Callahan had to say about Arkin. There's a poster at Blogging the Boys called Birddog26 who is a free-lance scout/consultant for NFL teams. He gave Callahan's reasoning, almost word-for-word, when asked, during the season, why Arkin wasn't active.

He is an excellent person to follow on Twitter.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the end of the season I am expecting:

LT--Smith
LG--Livings
C--Frederick
RG--Leary
RT--Parnell

That line actually has the potential to be pretty good. I think we see a lot of encouraging things from our young players this season. Frederick seems like a really smart guy and something we have been missing is a guy capable of making the right line calls. Frederick should be able to do that very well.

Doug Free may start the season off as the starter, but i think he continues to suck once hes out on the field and Parnell takes over, but i can also see Parnell winning it in camp.

Leary should have been drafted last year in the 3rd or so, but some bogus knee issue let him fall into our laps. All reports are that he was starting to look good at the end of last season and he also looked good in the rookie camp this year. I think he is a serious contender for one of the guard spots. Dont see Livings losing his spot. Our line was terrible last year, but he was probably the second best lineman behind smith for us.

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
A lot to like in this article from gosselin, who is certainly not afraid to criticize the cowboys:

www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/rick-gosselin/20130517-gosselin-surprisingly-help-for-dallas-cowboys-offensive-line-could-already-be-on-roster.ece

What would really benefit us, is if both Leary and Arkin were to take the necessary leap forward this year and emerge as starters - along with Parnell.

That would give us:

Smith (22)
Arkin (25)
Frederick (22)
Leary (24)
Parnell (26)

and would allow us to focus on the DL heading into the 2014 off-season.

This scenario is waaaaay too good to be true.

Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

He is an excellent person to follow on Twitter.

If I ever do get twitter it will be specifically for birddog, Broaddus, Sturm, and the BTB guys
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
A lot to like in this article from gosselin, who is certainly not afraid to criticize the cowboys:

www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/rick-gosselin/20130517-gosselin-surprisingly-help-for-dallas-cowboys-offensive-line-could-already-be-on-roster.ece

What would really benefit us, is if both Leary and Arkin were to take the necessary leap forward this year and emerge as starters - along with Parnell.

That would give us:

Smith (22)
Arkin (25)
Frederick (22)
Leary (24)
Parnell (26)

and would allow us to focus on the DL heading into the 2014 off-season.

This scenario is waaaaay too good to be true.

Hey, we're way overdue for some lucky breaks on the OL Laughing

^^^Deadpulse
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People were ready to call it quits on Free when he never played for his first couple seasons. It really would be a huge boost if Arkin proved everyone wrong and earned a starting job. I'm not going to hold my breath, though.

I do really have hope in Leary and Parnell. Will be disappointed if one/both of those guys don't step up.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What'd the article say about Arkin? It said subscriber for me.

I'm excited about Wilber and Crawford this year more than Arkin and Leary. If we could get two rookies to step up that'd be big. Parnell and Arkin would be a huge help

Props to IDOG_det on the sig.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“His development at guard was delayed because he couldn’t focus on the position,” Callahan said. “Here’s a guy who never played center before and now we tell him, go inside and play there. He went to training camp trying to improve his skill at guard, and now he has to take over the center spot, learn all the calls and all the adjustments — with the [first team] no less — and not disrupt any continuity or timing. And he did an admirable job.
“Then Costa comes back, and we bring in Cook late. After camp, we moved him back to guard. So in fairness to him, he didn’t get the reps he needed to take at guard. I’m not making excuses. I’m just telling you the facts.”

Callahan as quoted by Gosselin

About Arkin: taken as a developmental project, small school LT intended to bulk up and play G in the NFL. Rookie year, no offseason due to lockout. Second year spent learning a position he'd never played before.

This is, in many ways, his first real shot at earning a game day spot on the roster. He admittedly has shown very little... But that's largely because he's had zero actual opportunity.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
Quote:
“His development at guard was delayed because he couldn’t focus on the position,” Callahan said. “Here’s a guy who never played center before and now we tell him, go inside and play there. He went to training camp trying to improve his skill at guard, and now he has to take over the center spot, learn all the calls and all the adjustments — with the [first team] no less — and not disrupt any continuity or timing. And he did an admirable job.
“Then Costa comes back, and we bring in Cook late. After camp, we moved him back to guard. So in fairness to him, he didn’t get the reps he needed to take at guard. I’m not making excuses. I’m just telling you the facts.”

About Arkin: taken as a developmental project, small school LT intended to bulk up and play G in the NFL. Rookie year, no offseason due to lockout. Second year spent learning a position he'd never played before.

This is, in many ways, his first real shot at earning a game day spot on the roster. He admittedly has shown very little... But that's largely because he's had zero actual opportunity.

I don't buy it. He got more reps on the offensive line than anyone else. Sure, some of it came at center. But it's not like a receiver playing cornerback. He was given an extremely good opportunity to show what he could do as an interior blocker last year, and he didn't show much.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
Quote:

I don't buy it. He got more reps on the offensive line than anyone else. Sure, some of it came at center. But it's not like a receiver playing cornerback. He was given an extremely good opportunity to show what he could do as an interior blocker last year, and he didn't show much.

Gurode looked like crap at guard, was moved to center and was an above average starter for about four-five seasons for us. Who's to say Arkin couldn't have the same type of path?

^^^Deadpulse
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
Quote:

Gurode looked like crap at guard, was moved to center and was an above average starter for about four-five seasons for us. Who's to say Arkin couldn't have the same type of path?

I'm not saying that at all. But to use the excuse that he's had "zero actual opportunity" to show anything is wrong, IMO. He's had a lot of training camp reps, and hasn't shown enough to make him even a good bet to make the roster.

Hopefully this year is different. But he hasn't shown much, and it's not because he hasn't had the opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't tell me we have 5 guys that their best opportunity is at C, and we have no real guards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: