Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A.J. Jenkins: BFS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: A.J. Jenkins: BFS Reply with quote

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/05/the-skinny-aj-jenkins-muscled-up-this-offseason.html

Barrows talks about how Jenkins spent this offseason so far gaining weight and working with Lockett and Kap to get faster and stronger. There are some encouraging words but no new weight listed or pictures of his new physique. Think

Quote:
Nothing inhibited Jenkins this offseason. He spent six weeks with quarterback Colin Kaepernick and fellow wideout Ricardo Lockette in Atlanta where they concentrated on strength and speed training. It remains to be seen whether that work will translate to the field, but recent photos of Jenkins show a more bulked-up receiver, and the reports from Atlanta were positive as well.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/05/the-skinny-aj-jenkins-muscled-up-this-offseason.html#storylink=cpy

Quote:
Said Lockette: "I think A.J. will definitely surprise a lot of people this year. Last year, he took it as a building year. This year from what I've seen so far, it's night and day. I expect big things out of him. He expects big things out of himself, and Kap expects big things out of him. I think Niner nation and the Niner empire will be proud of what A.J. Jenkins brings to the field this year."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/05/the-skinny-aj-jenkins-muscled-up-this-offseason.html#storylink=cpy

I like hearing this alot. I know a ton of people are down on Jenkins but there has to be a reason they liked him so much. I think a full offseason in the pros will do wonders for this guy. Its great to hear hes making strides to becoming bigger and stronger. The article said he was at 192 last year. I'm guessing hes bulked up to around 205? Just a guess. We all know he has the speed and the quickness and last year during the preseason he showed some great hands making some really nice catches. His biggest issue, to me, was the lack of concentration and toughness. He could make a great circus catch but drops an easy 5 yard out. That to me is nerves and lack of focus. Basic mental things that can be cleaned up.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear how hard Jenkins and Lockette are working. With the knee injuries to Mario and KDub, and the loss of Ginn and Moss, it sure seems there's an opportunity for these two, and for Patton

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for pictures, but no luck. I'd like to see how much weight he's actually been able to put on.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
I've been looking for pictures, but no luck. I'd like to see how much weight he's actually been able to put on.

I was doing the same. kinda weird for barrows to tell us he weighs more and looks bigger but wont tell us his weight or show pics.

Y u no like us barrows??

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I've kind of come to grips with the fact that AJJ was a bad pick. Maybe its too early, and maybe just maybe he might even surprise some people this year, but I just don't see a great receiver or the potential to become one. And that's what you want in a first round pick.

✰★✰ In Harbaugh We Trust ✰★✰
BP wrote:
One late season surge and postseason run doesn't make Kaep a better QB than Carson Palmer
Forge

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll reserve judgment for now until i see him in action. One of his biggest issues was definitely not being strong enough at the line and getting past the secondary, but he had some other issues too. I keep hearing nothing but more and more good things about Lockette, and with Patton, Manningham, Williams, Boldin and Crabs in the rotation, Jenkins has to know that he's fighting for his roster spot, even if it's next year. Being buried at #6 (or even 7 depending on Lockette) on the depth chart this year would almost be the death bell for his career in san francisco

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm cool with him adding some weight aand love that he's working out with Kaep. But his issues weren't exactly physical more mental I hope he's focusing his offseason on that too.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not saying AJ can't turn it around or that he will turn it around but I do have one thought.

If he does turn it around how much better would this make Baalke's drafting look?

The general view is his 2010-2011 and 2013 draft were all strong drafts with the 2012 draft being his weakest draft. But really 2012 was considered a depth draft and the top two picks that draft were in positions where the team was pretty much loaded. And they traded down enough to get the capital that contributed to 14 picks in the 2013 draft.

AJ Jenkins turning it around would put 2012 in close to the class of the other 3 Baalke Drafts.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
Forge

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I am not saying AJ can't turn it around or that he will turn it around but I do have one thought.

If he does turn it around how much better would this make Baalke's drafting look?

The general view is his 2010-2011 and 2013 draft were all strong drafts with the 2012 draft being his weakest draft. But really 2012 was considered a depth draft and the top two picks that draft were in positions where the team was pretty much loaded. And they traded down enough to get the capital that contributed to 14 picks in the 2013 draft.

AJ Jenkins turning it around would put 2012 in close to the class of the other 3 Baalke Drafts.

I would definitely not say that we were "loaded" at wide receiver when we drafted Jenkins. If Jenkins had displayed the ability, he would have easily started at the third wide receiver spot last year I think. He just never showed it. It wouldn't have taken much to beat Moss/K-dub out of that spot. Right now, we have gotten next to nothing out of that entire draft class, so in order for me to consider it as good as his other draft classes, I'll have to see more production from LMJ (not his fault really, we're kind of stacked there), and definitely see Looney more. honestly, the rest of the draft is probably already done in my opinion. Slowey is already gone, and I'd be surprised if Robinson, Fleming or Johnson make the team this year considering all the defensive help we have obtain through the draft this year, though i think they all have practice squad eligibility, which would be an option.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
AMG1713

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:

2013 football school

- from 49ers.com

Not sure I can really see that much of a difference, but who knows how much bigger Jenkins' frame allows him to be. He just needs to be stronger.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o_0 wrote:
TBH I've kind of come to grips with the fact that AJJ was a bad pick. Maybe its too early, and maybe just maybe he might even surprise some people this year, but I just don't see a great receiver or the potential to become one. And that's what you want in a first round pick.

Nothing is what you've seen. So while you haven;t seen a great receiver yet neither have you seen anything to rule out that possibility.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
o_0 wrote:

Nothing is what you've seen. So while you haven;t seen a great receiver yet neither have you seen anything to rule out that possibility.

Eh. When he couldn't even get on the field after our receiving corps was decimated by injuries, thats when it set in.

✰★✰ In Harbaugh We Trust ✰★✰
BP wrote:
One late season surge and postseason run doesn't make Kaep a better QB than Carson Palmer
49ersfan2152

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
I'm cool with him adding some weight aand love that he's working out with Kaep. But his issues weren't exactly physical more mental I hope he's focusing his offseason on that too.

Yes you are right but working with Kap has to be a big help to his mental game an confidence.

gridiorngreat thnk you for the sig

Favorite Teams
Redsox, 49ers, Celtics, Uconn BB, Bruins, LSU FB
iwentundrafted

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have zero confidence in AJ and have already basically given up on him becoming anything special for this team. #3 Wr possibly but I dont have my hopes up. Like others have said, he couldnt make an impact with 2 players ahead of him going down.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing the lack of confidence in Jenkins is astounding. I really can't believe it. If he continues to not make a name for himself during this season, THEN I'll question the pick. But until then, he's still an unknown and I reserve judgement.

When Mario and K-Dub went down, Moss became a full time starter and Crabs got a ton more looks and touches. There's no reason to give up Jenkins, yet...

candyman93 wrote:
San Francisco is going to put an unmerciful beat down on everyone they play next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: