Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Just a coincidence?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericsvibe

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Just a coincidence? Reply with quote

Ever since I can remember, phins fans have complained about the dolphins lack of interest when it comes to in state college talent. We have moaned about the stud players from florida schools that were passed up. Well, if the last 3 drafts are any indication, it seems that Ireland has been scouting the hell out of the instate schools, the result being 6 players taken in the last 3 drafts.

Mike Pouncey-UF
Lamar Miller-UM
Olivier Vernon-UM
Jelani Jenkins-UF
Mike Gillislee-UF
Caleb Sturgis-UF

Remember it has been reported that the phins were targeting 2 more that got away, both of which were TE's. Jimmy Graham and Jordan Reed.
Do you guys think this is just pure coincidence, or do you believe the Ireland is spending allot more time scouting in state players.

I think Ireland is targeting in-state players, and I'm going to keep a eye towards draft eligible prospects next year from the big florida programs.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The failure to snag Jimmy Graham is a disgrace.

But I kind of agree, it's not a coincidence. I think it's being done for two reasons. First, the local talent is REALLY good and in theory it should be easier (ie cheaper) for the Phins to extensively scout. We should have a better scouting report on all these Florida players than the rest of the league. Second, the Dolphin brand needs a boost and getting college players from UF and UM should help generate at least a little interest from Floridians. The draft is the great "crossover" from being a rabid college fan who then follows an NFL player/team based on his alma mater. My nephew is now a Panther fan strictly because of Cam Newton.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:

But I kind of agree, it's not a coincidence. I think it's being done for two reasons. First, the local talent is REALLY good and in theory it should be easier (ie cheaper) for the Phins to extensively scout. We should have a better scouting report on all these Florida players than the rest of the league. Second, the Dolphin brand needs a boost and getting college players from UF and UM should help generate at least a little interest from Floridians. The draft is the great "crossover" from being a rabid college fan who then follows an NFL player/team based on his alma mater. My nephew is now a Panther fan strictly because of Cam Newton.

College football in Florida is back. FSU and UF are back on top of the standings, and many are predicting Miami to win the ACC this year, thus would make them also a top 15 team.

Even a few of the lesser schools, FIU, UCF and USF are putting out quality talent. Johnathon Cyprien, Kemal Ishmael, and Latavius Murray were all drafted this year. USF had 2 players drafted as well.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
bpastermack

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a coincidence

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dolphan9954"]
Deadeye wrote:

and many are predicting Miami to win the ACC this year

I haven't heard anyone predict Miami to win the ACC this coming season. They're still ways away from FSU and Clemson.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about time our FO realized the amount of talent in their home state.

The State of Florida puts more high school grads in the NFL, per capita, than any other State and its been this way for over 20 years.

Also don't forget that we wanted TY Hilton, another that got away.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a coincidence and I'm all for it. Lots of good football schools here in FL and like mentioned above it's easier to scout.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a coincidence before when we seemed to be ignoring in state talent? It's a statistical fact that given a small sample size like this you can very easily have times when it seems like for a few years in a row we are ignoring in state schools, and then other years like we are targeting their players. Remember when we were supposedly targeting Big 10 players? Also, a statistical norm. Lately it could seem like we are targeting in state guys, or maybe SEC guys?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
Was a coincidence before when we seemed to be ignoring in state talent? It's a statistical fact that given a small sample size like this you can very easily have times when it seems like for a few years in a row we are ignoring in state schools, and then other years like we are targeting their players. Remember when we were supposedly targeting Big 10 players? Also, a statistical norm. Lately it could seem like we are targeting in state guys, or maybe SEC guys?

Doesn't seem like a coincidence to me. I've said for years that if you want the weather in South FL to be a home field advantage then stop drafting kids from Michigan and Ohio State so frequently.......especially since the Big 10 has been what some would call a slow conference.

To me it is in part due to the error in Parcells philosophy that fast players get slower in the 4th quarter but big players don't get smaller.

What this philosophy should be is fast players get slower in the 4th quarter but big players that aren't too fast get even slower.

So, how can we stay fast in the 4th quarter? Bring in guys that play fast and are conditioned throughout their life to the FL heat and humidity.

Obviously talent trumps all, but there's no doubt the FO has a different philosophy about FL players than it did under Parcells reign.
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's marketing. Every team takes this into account.

Look at the Super Bowl Champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2002:

Florida:
OT Lomas Brown
OT Kenyatta Walker
DL Buck Gurley

Florida State:
QB Brad Johnson
DE Greg Spires
LB Derrick Brooks
S Dexter Jackson

Miami:
DT Warren Sapp
LB Nate Webster

UCF:
TE Charles Lee
OL Cornell Green

South Florida:
OL Ryan Benjamin

You see, it's assumed that College Football is more of a priority than Pro Football in Florida. One of the best ways to broaden your fan base is to lure in the Seminole & Gator Fans. When the Buccaneers recognized this strategy, they had a waiting list for season tickets. Deviating from it, they had 6 blackouts last year.

Jacksonville Jaguars recognize this. For years, they've been drafting Florida Gators & the Tebow rumors are directly aimed at drawing in the Gator Fans.

Did you see the building at the end of the season? Practically empty. Now imagine if you can lure in those Gators fans.... Building would be packed.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
It's marketing. Every team takes this into account.

Look at the Super Bowl Champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2002:

Florida:
OT Lomas Brown
OT Kenyatta Walker
DL Buck Gurley

Florida State:
QB Brad Johnson
DE Greg Spires
LB Derrick Brooks
S Dexter Jackson

Miami:
DT Warren Sapp
LB Nate Webster

UCF:
TE Charles Lee
OL Cornell Green

South Florida:
OL Ryan Benjamin

You see, it's assumed that College Football is more of a priority than Pro Football in Florida. One of the best ways to broaden your fan base is to lure in the Seminole & Gator Fans. When the Buccaneers recognized this strategy, they had a waiting list for season tickets. Deviating from it, they had 6 blackouts last year.

Jacksonville Jaguars recognize this. For years, they've been drafting Florida Gators & the Tebow rumors are directly aimed at drawing in the Gator Fans.

Did you see the building at the end of the season? Practically empty. Now imagine if you can lure in those Gators fans.... Building would be packed.

I absolutely agree with your overall point.

There's several reasons for the Dolphins to target players from FL.......so why wouldn't they?
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its absolutely not a coincidence, Ireland has openly talked about how important it is in building strong relationships with the in state coaches. He already has one with Golden and wants the same with Muschamp.
Pickle

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a coincidence, as fishfan has stated Ireland wants to build relationship with the top Florida Schools and has already started that by double and triple dipping into Florida talent.

gopherwrestler
GO GATORS
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
Deadeye wrote:

College football in Florida is back. FSU and UF are back on top of the standings, and many are predicting Miami to win the ACC this year, thus would make them also a top 15 team.

Even a few of the lesser schools, FIU, UCF and USF are putting out quality talent. Johnathon Cyprien, Kemal Ishmael, and Latavius Murray were all drafted this year. USF had 2 players drafted as well.

College football in Florida is not back. Every year I read the same crap how Florida State or Miami will win the ACC and every year Virginia Tech somehow represents the ACC in the BCS... Laughing Miami is just another ACC school litered with skilled players and a lack of dominant lineman.

Of course Miami drafted a bunch of Florida players for marketability. I believe Sturgis will make the team. And of course Pouncey is solid but outside of that I am not hopeful of anyone else. I do not even know what position Oliver Vernon plays to say he will excel.. Laughing
green4gulf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
dolphan9954 wrote:
Deadeye wrote:

College football in Florida is not back. Every year I read the same crap how Florida State or Miami will win the ACC and every year Virginia Tech somehow represents the ACC in the BCS... Laughing Miami is just another ACC school litered with skilled players and a lack of dominant lineman.

Of course Miami drafted a bunch of Florida players for marketability. I believe Sturgis will make the team. And of course Pouncey is solid but outside of that I am not hopeful of anyone else. I do not even know what position Oliver Vernon plays to say he will excel.. Laughing

You may be correct, but without any research I bet it's safe to say each of the 3 Florida colleges consistently put more players in the NFL than a team like Maryland, although none of their uniforms are quite as ugly Laughing

I agree that the schools in FL have been overrated for several years, but FL high school ball is what counts anyways. Our main export stopped being Oranges 30 years ago and became Football players. More NFL players per capita than any other state.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: