Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Finding talent on the roster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catamount

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Finding talent on the roster Reply with quote

A few positions seem to have been either ignored or not taken too seriously by Gettlemen. While I understand that Marty left him unable to address all needs, I think they are counting on some roster players to step up.

Tight End: We re-signed Hartsock and let Barnidge go to Chud's Browns. No free agent activity. What gives? Nelson Rosario is the answer to that question. He spent a season converting from a 6' 5' WR with 4.6 speed to a TE. Expect his weight to have increased from 225 to 235 or 240 this season, and expect him to take over as the #2 receiving TE.

Wide Receiver: Many wanted Steve Smith's replacement. Here is the delimma: Who was there in free agency we could afford? When do you draft a #1 WR? First Round, MAYBE the second. How do you pass on Star Lotulelei to take Tavon Austin or Cordarrelle Patterson? A: you don't. In the second round, there were no WRs who upgrade us like adding a versatile under tackle. Regardless, we have drafted SEVERAL WRs recently and brought in 2 free agents. Gettlemen had to feel that competition and opportunity will pressure the coal pile into a few diamonds. I see potential in Hixon, who is ready for an increased role. I see a ton of upside in Gettis if healthy, and I see some interestng slot potentiall in Pilares and Adams. If we can get one more season out of Smitty, I think we will better know what we have at WR in 2014.

Offensive Line: I was SHOCKED that we did not do more here. No free agents, 1 fourth rounder. Hangartner and Williams would have saved $3 million or so in cap room--why are they still on the roster? Well, they have experience at multiple positions. Enough, it would seem, to cover RG for a while until Kugbila is ready. I am not satisfied that this is a solid plan, but I also think they are banking on Bell's continued development at RT.

Cornerback: I am not upset about the CB situation like many others. Last season, Thomas looked good and got some valuable experience. Norman took his lumps, but did we really think a 5th round rookie was a #1 CB (after Gamble was injured)? Dockery was decent to good, and he is a 6 footer. Add DJ Moore and veteran Drayton Florence to the mix and you have a decent group of CBs. Munnerlyn is one of the best nickels around, so expect the improved pass rush to make the young CBs look better. I see Thomas and Norman with starting potential--do not underestimate the experience they got last year and the effect of the new DL on the opposing QB.

Safety: Godfrey is better at FS than he was at SS, so we upgraded by switching posiitions. At SS, DJ Campbell was fair last season. Experience will help. Gettlemen brought in Mitchell to compete for the job. I feel that Lester will end up with the job, however, so we have 3 SS candidates competing, and we know one was average or "Fair". Getting Lester is going to prove to be a HUGE find. Whiile not on the roster already, he did not cost us in free agency or a draft pick.

Comments? Reactions?

Expect these positions to be addressed in 2014, if necessary, but I think Gettlemen feels the team is better at these positions than most of us do.
wolf7373

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think you hit on a lot of points. Nelson Rosario is interesting and I'd love to see what this guy could do as a receiving TE. There really are very few all around good TEs. Harstock and Rosario compliment each other nicely to go with Olsen.

WR: I still believe in Lafell. Maybe I am being stubborn but I watched this guy at LSU and I just have a feeling this will be the year he proves himself as a true #2. Gettis has always been in the back of my mind as well but he has a long way to go because of his injuries. Hixon, I have always liked him and commented on how underrated he was while still in New York. Ultimately the WRs impact will depend on Cam and the offensive scheme.

The offensive line is the biggest question mark entering this season. Byron Bell has to be consistent and better than last year. I do not know how many more great years Gross has. Does Amini Silatolu take a big stride next season? Is this Kugbila guy going to harness the potential he apparently has? The Panthers have to hope the O-line can gel and establish themselves early on or it may be a tough year offensively.

The secondary isn't the biggest question mark because ultimately it looks pretty bad. I think this Mike Mitchell guy is very interesting and will be the starting SS. What I hope is that the Panthers secondary takes a lot of chances and creates turnover. Will they give up big plays? Yes, but winning the TO battle is a must in this division especially. As far as Robert Lester, I feel he will go the James Anderson route. He will be a really good ST player and get an opportunity to start when the opportunity knocks.

We have to wait and see but the Panthers have the makings of a great D-line and I think Cam's potential is limitless. A great QB and front four can mask a lot of issues, hopefully that is the case this season.
catamount

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolf7373 wrote:

The secondary isn't the biggest question mark because ultimately it looks pretty bad. I think this Mike Mitchell guy is very interesting and will be the starting SS. What I hope is that the Panthers secondary takes a lot of chances and creates turnover. Will they give up big plays? Yes, but winning the TO battle is a must in this division especially. As far as Robert Lester, I feel he will go the James Anderson route. He will be a really good ST player and get an opportunity to start when the opportunity knocks.

I like this paragraph. Good stuff.

I also liked what you said about WR. It was optimistic and probably on point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: