You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Billy Spikes's All Time Top Ten Safeties
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very enjoyable read for sure.

Here's my thoughts and keep in mind I AM a Steeler fan.

Edit: Billy was nice enough to point out I'm blind as a bat in the morning lol. I see Ed Reed now Very Happy

Secondly, I think one of the 'Honorable Mentions' should've been at #9 and Troy should've been an honorable mention, but I like the respect you gave him.

Thirdly and this is just my opinion, switch Rodney Harrison with, well, anyone on the list and put him either lower, or as an HM, I'm good with it. I'm not denying he was great, I just don't think he was top 5 great.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!

Last edited by wwhickok on Fri May 24, 2013 7:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:

Here's my thoughts and keep in mind I AM a Steeler fan. First of all, I'm surprised that Ed Reed wasn't on the list anywhere.

Secondly, I think one of the 'Honorable Mentions' should've been at #9 and Troy should've been an honorable mention, but I like the respect you gave him.

Ed Reed is number 3 on the list.
Tom Brady Tribute
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

Here's my thoughts and keep in mind I AM a Steeler fan. First of all, I'm surprised that Ed Reed wasn't on the list anywhere.

Ed Reed is number 3 on the list.

LOL it's 0700, I dont' know how i missed that, but I did. Good call Billy Very Happy

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know most of you find Rodney Harrison too high on the list and it's unfortunate because he was out of the spotlight for much of his career because he played on a lot of terrible Chargers teams but on my prospective he is a guy who played the run, pass and blitzed at a very high level his entire career, a guy who was stuck on bad teams for most of his time in the NFL and was still able to be a very fearful and impactful player, someone who's had nearly unreal amount of consistency and impact towards winning two Superbowls during the 2003/2004 seasons [as i mentioned, he was responsible for 8 turnovers by himself in 6 playoff games] while been surrounded by average, not elite talent in the secondary like a Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu during some of those times. [Randell Gay, Troy Brown starting along side a then average Asante Samuel]

He is also the only DB [and first player overall] to have at least 30 sacks and 30 INTs in his career.

He will never get the credit he deserves and some of the other players are great aswell and you can make cases for them to be placed over him, but i see it as i see it.
Tom Brady Tribute
Badger75

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emlen Tunnell identified the two contemporaries that were the best as Jack Butler and Jack Christensen.

Christiansen went on to be the HC at Stanford. Cool
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackerPride wrote:
I just want to show love for my player Nick Collins, Superbowl 45 play of the game and all-pro 3 of 6 years, legit 4.40 safety who hit hard and covered well. Had potential for the Hall and top 10 all-time safety. Had a nose for the spectacular play.

It is so sad his career was cut short. I do believe if he had been able to continue playing he would have been in this conversation big time. Sad
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
Emlen Tunnell identified the two contemporaries that were the best as Jack Butler and Jack Christensen.

Christiansen went on to be the HC at Stanford. Cool

It was great to see the great players from the past get a little love here. Smile
stillersenat

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
I know most of you find Rodney Harrison too high on the list and it's unfortunate because he was out of the spotlight for much of his career because he played on a lot of terrible Chargers teams but on my prospective he is a guy who played the run, pass and blitzed at a very high level his entire career, a guy who was stuck on bad teams for most of his time in the NFL and was still able to be a very fearful and impactful player, someone who's had nearly unreal amount of consistency and impact towards winning two Superbowls during the 2003/2004 seasons [as i mentioned, he was responsible for 8 turnovers by himself in 6 playoff games] while been surrounded by average, not elite talent in the secondary like a Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu during some of those times. [Randell Gay, Troy Brown starting along side a then average Asante Samuel]

He is also the only DB [and first player overall] to have at least 30 sacks and 30 INTs in his career.

He will never get the credit he deserves and some of the other players are great aswell and you can make cases for them to be placed over him, but i see it as i see it.

Well said Billy, but I think that Rodney is in the next tier down of "Safeties that aren't elite but don't get enough credit". There a many of them and usually it's up to the fans of the team that the safety played for to call out the accolades of the safety and ask for more credit to go to that safety.

Remember that Harrison is also seen as a lot of bad things. While some would say "hard hitting" plenty of us have seen him take "cheap shots" (in my case: I watched him deliver a forearm shiver to the head of a player). Add in the HGH issue and Harrison starts to look like the poster boy for all the "cheating ways"of the Pats that are lumped together (whether deserved or not).

I'm not saying your eval of Harrison is wrong, just pointing out why others won't see it the way you do.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:

Member of the 1980's all decade team and he doesn't even get an honorable mention? Evil or Very Mad

Leroy Butler didn't and he was 90's All Decade.

Cliff Harris didn't and he was 70's All Decade.

And they were both 1st team All Decade (Browner was 2nd team).

Then there is Nolan Cromwell and Carnell Lake (both 2nd team as well).

Can't fit em all.

but but but he was our safety a when I was a little kid. There is Nostalgia there!
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

Well said Billy, but I think that Rodney is in the next tier down of "Safeties that aren't elite but don't get enough credit". There a many of them and usually it's up to the fans of the team that the safety played for to call out the accolades of the safety and ask for more credit to go to that safety.

Remember that Harrison is also seen as a lot of bad things. While some would say "hard hitting" plenty of us have seen him take "cheap shots" (in my case: I watched him deliver a forearm shiver to the head of a player). Add in the HGH issue and Harrison starts to look like the poster boy for all the "cheating ways"of the Pats that are lumped together (whether deserved or not).

I'm not saying your eval of Harrison is wrong, just pointing out why others won't see it the way you do.

I understand that and you can actually point out bad things in pretty much every player, Rodney is an easier target than most though, yes.

The list is how the list is, i feel it's accurate [and yes, some names were left off like a Joey Browner but i felt that if I'll start putting too many names in the HM i will have to keep including similar guys and it won't end]

I'm glad that nearly everyone seemed to like it for the most part.
Tom Brady Tribute
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

While I wouldn't put Rodney on the list myself, none of those things actually make him a worse football player (unless those cheap shots resulted in penalties). It may not be fair to everyone else to evaluate him that way, but I don't think we can use those to pretend he was a worse player than he was.
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatum at 13?
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodney is a top 3 safety. Everyone remembers the New England years but he held together a really low talent defense here in San Diego for a decade. He was on our only Superbowl team.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read there, I'm shocked to see Rodney that high though

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:

Just to call it how I see it, you severely overrate him because he as a patriot.
Just as one example, he didn't do a single thing better tha Brian Dawkins did, yet Dawkins is 3 spots lower. I really don't see an argument for any of he guys you have over him in the top 10 and pretty much al, three he's are debatable. Harrison was a very good player, Imo he was never elite nor did he change games the way others did on that list.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: