Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns sign former Pats, Cards QB Brian Hoyer to 2-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dawgpoun8017


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 12370
Location: Waterloo,NY
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
MarkPrice25 wrote:
I don't see the harm in bringing Hoyer in.

-If he stinks up the room, he's gone. It's not like he was expected to start.
-If he beats out Thad, he's a great #3 QB.
-If he shocks the world and beats out everyone, who knew?

No way we can lose, really.


This is how most folks look at signing a #3 QB.

Browns fans? Well....


Most teams rarely see their 3rd strong QB on the field. The Browns...


And most teams fans don't clamor for the backup to play as much as our fan base either
_________________
2013 Joe Blackburn HOF Award Recipient
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Estonianzulu


Moderator
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 26852
Location: Middle of Nowhere VA
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
MarkPrice25 wrote:
I don't see the harm in bringing Hoyer in.

-If he stinks up the room, he's gone. It's not like he was expected to start.
-If he beats out Thad, he's a great #3 QB.
-If he shocks the world and beats out everyone, who knew?

No way we can lose, really.


This is how most folks look at signing a #3 QB.

Browns fans? Well....


Most teams rarely see their 3rd strong QB on the field. The Browns...


And most teams fans don't clamor for the backup to play as much as our fan base either


Im not sure that's true. Any bad team without a QB thinks the backup is better. Just look at New York
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dawgpoun8017


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 12370
Location: Waterloo,NY
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
MarkPrice25 wrote:
I don't see the harm in bringing Hoyer in.

-If he stinks up the room, he's gone. It's not like he was expected to start.
-If he beats out Thad, he's a great #3 QB.
-If he shocks the world and beats out everyone, who knew?

No way we can lose, really.


This is how most folks look at signing a #3 QB.

Browns fans? Well....


Most teams rarely see their 3rd strong QB on the field. The Browns...


And most teams fans don't clamor for the backup to play as much as our fan base either


Im not sure that's true. Any bad team without a QB thinks the backup is better. Just look at New York


Maybe I'm wrong but it just seem we do it more than most
_________________
2013 Joe Blackburn HOF Award Recipient
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LETSGOBROWNIES


Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Posts: 7950
Location: CINCINNATI
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
MarkPrice25 wrote:
I don't see the harm in bringing Hoyer in.

-If he stinks up the room, he's gone. It's not like he was expected to start.
-If he beats out Thad, he's a great #3 QB.
-If he shocks the world and beats out everyone, who knew?

No way we can lose, really.


This is how most folks look at signing a #3 QB.

Browns fans? Well....


Most teams rarely see their 3rd strong QB on the field. The Browns...


And most teams fans don't clamor for the backup to play as much as our fan base either


Im not sure that's true. Any bad team without a QB thinks the backup is better. Just look at New York


Probably, but not every team's fans seem to think that the GM signed a 3rd stringer to come in and start because he hates the current starter and is simply biding his time before completely ruining the franchise.
_________________


First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MalcolmBrown


Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 675
Location: 2014 Adopt a Brownie: Jim Dray: 10 Receptions, 144 Yards (14.4 ypc), 1 TD, 8 FD
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
MarkPrice25 wrote:
I don't see the harm in bringing Hoyer in.

-If he stinks up the room, he's gone. It's not like he was expected to start.
-If he beats out Thad, he's a great #3 QB.
-If he shocks the world and beats out everyone, who knew?

No way we can lose, really.


This is how most folks look at signing a #3 QB.

Browns fans? Well....


Most teams rarely see their 3rd strong QB on the field. The Browns...


And most teams fans don't clamor for the backup to play as much as our fan base either


Im not sure that's true. Any bad team without a QB thinks the backup is better. Just look at New York


Probably, but not every team's fans seem to think that the GM signed a 3rd stringer to come in and start because he hates the current starter and is simply biding his time before completely ruining the franchise.


Lol, Yep. Hoyer on the Roster? Only news because it's shaking up the bottom of the depth chart. Thad Lewis had to start last year? If he's better than Lewis, suit him up. May the best 3rd string QB, never have to start.
_________________
"You mean...this ain't Malcolm Browns car...? ...Damn...my bad..."

Athens, Ohio AKA South Cleveland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freakygeniuskid


Moderator
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 5527
Location: Charlotte, NC
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Probably, but not every team's fans seem to think that the GM signed a 3rd stringer to come in and start because he hates the current starter and is simply biding his time before completely ruining the franchise.


I'm pretty sure that's because most team's GMs haven't openly shared their dislike for their starting QB or possess a proven track record of completely ruining franchises Very Happy
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LETSGOBROWNIES


Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Posts: 7950
Location: CINCINNATI
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freakygeniuskid wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Probably, but not every team's fans seem to think that the GM signed a 3rd stringer to come in and start because he hates the current starter and is simply biding his time before completely ruining the franchise.


I'm pretty sure that's because most team's GMs haven't openly shared their dislike for their starting QB or possess a proven track record of completely ruining franchises Very Happy


He apparently hates him so much that he decided not to bring in his replacement. He didn't like him as a prospect and/or didn't like the selection for the Browns on draft day. Fair enough. Neither did most on this site. That said, people can change their opinions over time.

Mike Lombari's history here was 20 years ago. I'd like to think people can become better at their job after 20 years. Also, as far as his time with the Raiders, he's not even remotely responsible for any of that, neither was anyone else who had to work for Al Davis, the guy was a crazy old man who had an unhealthy obsession with ht/wt/speed players. Like Jerry Jones, Davis did as he damned well pleased with HIS team.
_________________


First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freakygeniuskid wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Probably, but not every team's fans seem to think that the GM signed a 3rd stringer to come in and start because he hates the current starter and is simply biding his time before completely ruining the franchise.


I'm pretty sure that's because most team's GMs haven't openly shared their dislike for their starting QB or possess a proven track record of completely ruining franchises Very Happy


When you say 'most team's GMs haven't openly shared their dislike for their starting QB', are you aware that you're making that up?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Estonianzulu


Moderator
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 26852
Location: Middle of Nowhere VA
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
freakygeniuskid wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Probably, but not every team's fans seem to think that the GM signed a 3rd stringer to come in and start because he hates the current starter and is simply biding his time before completely ruining the franchise.


I'm pretty sure that's because most team's GMs haven't openly shared their dislike for their starting QB or possess a proven track record of completely ruining franchises Very Happy


When you say 'most team's GMs haven't openly shared their dislike for their starting QB', are you aware that you're making that up?


Most team's GM's havent' openly called their starting QB a "panicked disaster"

But to be fair to Lombardi, hating on Cleveland is kind of the job requirement for most talking heads.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LETSGOBROWNIES


Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Posts: 7950
Location: CINCINNATI
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
Entropy wrote:
freakygeniuskid wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Probably, but not every team's fans seem to think that the GM signed a 3rd stringer to come in and start because he hates the current starter and is simply biding his time before completely ruining the franchise.


I'm pretty sure that's because most team's GMs haven't openly shared their dislike for their starting QB or possess a proven track record of completely ruining franchises Very Happy


When you say 'most team's GMs haven't openly shared their dislike for their starting QB', are you aware that you're making that up?


Most team's GM's havent' openly called their starting QB a "panicked disaster"

But to be fair to Lombardi, hating on Cleveland is kind of the job requirement for most talking heads.


He was referencing the pick, most notably the use of 22nd overall pick on a 28 year old QB, not his evaluation of the player.

Again, most folks on this site, many of whom are respected posters, were saying the EXACT same thing.

Time and perspective can change opinions rather easily.
_________________


First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
Entropy wrote:
freakygeniuskid wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Probably, but not every team's fans seem to think that the GM signed a 3rd stringer to come in and start because he hates the current starter and is simply biding his time before completely ruining the franchise.


I'm pretty sure that's because most team's GMs haven't openly shared their dislike for their starting QB or possess a proven track record of completely ruining franchises Very Happy


When you say 'most team's GMs haven't openly shared their dislike for their starting QB', are you aware that you're making that up?


Most team's GM's havent' openly called their starting QB a "panicked disaster"

But to be fair to Lombardi, hating on Cleveland is kind of the job requirement for most talking heads.


He called Weeden a 'panicked disaster'? I thought he called the Browns' pick of Weeden at #22 in the first round a 'panicked disaster'--since that's what happened. It seems the issue was criticizing where he was picked (something most did), and not criticizing Weeden. At that time, there were many that believed we could have gotten Weeden in the 2nd round.

And you know what he didn't do? He didn't 'openly share his dislike' for Weeden since he's worked for the Browns. In fact, he's been in a position to provide support for him--and it seems there has been support provided for him.

Grossi just refuses to write that story, since it contradicts the picture he's been painting.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LETSGOBROWNIES


Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Posts: 7950
Location: CINCINNATI
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
Entropy wrote:
freakygeniuskid wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Probably, but not every team's fans seem to think that the GM signed a 3rd stringer to come in and start because he hates the current starter and is simply biding his time before completely ruining the franchise.


I'm pretty sure that's because most team's GMs haven't openly shared their dislike for their starting QB or possess a proven track record of completely ruining franchises Very Happy


When you say 'most team's GMs haven't openly shared their dislike for their starting QB', are you aware that you're making that up?


Most team's GM's havent' openly called their starting QB a "panicked disaster"

But to be fair to Lombardi, hating on Cleveland is kind of the job requirement for most talking heads.


He called Weeden a 'panicked disaster'? I thought he called the Browns' pick of Weeden at #22 in the first round a 'panicked disaster'--since that's what happened. It seems the issue was criticizing where he was picked (something most did), and not criticizing Weeden. At that time, there were many that believed we could have gotten Weeden in the 2nd round.

And you know what he didn't do? He didn't 'openly share his dislike' for Weeden since he's worked for the Browns. In fact, he's been in a position to provide support for him--and it seems there has been support provided for him.

Grossi just refuses to write that story, since it contradicts the picture he's been painting.


Yessir.
_________________


First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Estonianzulu


Moderator
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 26852
Location: Middle of Nowhere VA
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:

He called Weeden a 'panicked disaster'? I thought he called the Browns' pick of Weeden at #22 in the first round a 'panicked disaster'--since that's what happened. It seems the issue was criticizing where he was picked (something most did), and not criticizing Weeden. At that time, there were many that believed we could have gotten Weeden in the 2nd round.


If Lombardi wanted to portray Weeden as a potential franchise QB, he would have defended the pick by saying we got our guy and didn't risk losing him. If Weeden is a franchise QB, then its not a "Disaster" of any kind. Disaster implies that the selection was a bad one. If you overdraft a pro-bowler, was it a disaster regardless of the situation?

He wanted to portray the selection of Weeden as a bad pick so he called it a disaster. But that was his job as an analyst, to make people tune in and notice and one way to do that is kick the dog when he's already down (like ESPN and SI like to do as well because as Colin Cowherd so rightly points out, Ohio fans will tune in even more when you badmouth us).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
Entropy wrote:

He called Weeden a 'panicked disaster'? I thought he called the Browns' pick of Weeden at #22 in the first round a 'panicked disaster'--since that's what happened. It seems the issue was criticizing where he was picked (something most did), and not criticizing Weeden. At that time, there were many that believed we could have gotten Weeden in the 2nd round.


If Lombardi wanted to portray Weeden as a potential franchise QB, he would have defended the pick by saying we got our guy and didn't risk losing him. If Weeden is a franchise QB, then its not a "Disaster" of any kind. Disaster implies that the selection was a bad one. If you overdraft a pro-bowler, was it a disaster regardless of the situation?

He wanted to portray the selection of Weeden as a bad pick so he called it a disaster. But that was his job as an analyst, to make people tune in and notice and one way to do that is kick the dog when he's already down (like ESPN and SI like to do as well because as Colin Cowherd so rightly points out, Ohio fans will tune in even more when you badmouth us).


He wanted to portray the Browns' front office of Holmgren and Heckert as panicking and reaching to fill a need. There aren't any Lombardi criticisms of Weeden that I am aware of.

But I think you're 100% right about the rest.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bulldog


Joined: 18 Nov 2008
Posts: 5845
Location: Salem
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 6h

Brian Hoyer deal $1.965 million, $250,000 of 2013 $715,000 salary fully guaranteed $1 million base in 2014, $250,000 roster bonus, escalator

_________________
2013 First Ballot Recipient of the Joe Blackburn Award
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group