Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ike Taylor Talks With Jim Rome About Rehab

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63497
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Ike Taylor Talks With Jim Rome About Rehab Reply with quote

http://jimrome.com/2013/05/14/ike-taylor-talks-with-jim-rome-about-rehab/#.UZP3BhHDqog.email

Ike Taylor Talks With Jim Rome About Rehab

Quote:
The two-time Super Bowl champion told Jim Rome on his radio program hes turned this down time into making his game better and is expecting big things in 2013.

Im looking for a hell of a season, says Taylor.

Days after turning 33, Taylor not only sees himself playing for another four to five years, but doing so at a high level. He knows that if the Steelers are going to go where he wants them to go, hell have to be the one to shut down every opponents best receiver.

I want every bit of it. I want every bit of it, Taylor says, pointing out theres only one way to settle those matchups. If he feels like hes the man, I feel like Im the man, so its man on man.

_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49729
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see 4 or 5 years, but I see 2 or 3, which is why I didnt want a corner early this year.

Better yet, we got the mid round corner I wanted. I think Hawthorne can be a starter. Hopefully him and Allen are the future...with Curtis Brown still in the mix.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63497
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
I dont see 4 or 5 years, but I see 2 or 3, which is why I didnt want a corner early this year.

Better yet, we got the mid round corner I wanted. I think Hawthorne can be a starter. Hopefully him and Allen are the future...with Curtis Brown still in the mix.
yep, I totally agree with you. 4 or 5 years seems like a bit much for him. He'd be 38 or 39 by that time.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
thewadewilson


Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 146
Location: me on the sig Espn Insider forget Kiper
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has been one of my favorite players since he first got in the lineup
_________________


Pittsburgh Steelers/Houston Texans Fan
Whiz Khalifa Black & Yellow/Slim Thug I'm From Houston Texas home of the Texans
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigben07MVP


Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9418
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who expects Ike to still be a shutdown corner when he's 36 (only 3 years from now), they need to take off the black and gold glasses. No NFL player in their 30s is going to come out and say "Yeah I think I have about 2 maybe 3 years left." I do feel confident in the young talent we have but Ike is crazy if he really thinks he will still be a shut down corner 5-6 years from now.
_________________

Florida State Seminoles - Pittsburgh Steelers - Cleveland Cavaliers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MightyJoeYoung


Joined: 03 Jun 2010
Posts: 2939
Location: Wakefield, England
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why he can't play as long as someone like Champ Bailey has. He's as well conditioned as anyone in the league and hasn't had very many injuries. That would give him about another 4 years.
_________________


Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49729
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
I don't see why he can't play as long as someone like Champ Bailey has. He's as well conditioned as anyone in the league and hasn't had very many injuries. That would give him about another 4 years.


Bailey is only 2 years older than Ike, and has already shown signs of decline. He isnt even close to what he once was, and Ike was never nearly as good as Bailey was.

DONT GET ME WRONG, he potnetially COULD still be good in 4 to 5 years, but its not likely. For DBs, 33 or 34 is USUALLY the age when you start seeing a real decline...so its a year by year thing.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49729
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:
Anyone who expects Ike to still be a shutdown corner when he's 36 (only 3 years from now), they need to take off the black and gold glasses. No NFL player in their 30s is going to come out and say "Yeah I think I have about 2 maybe 3 years left." I do feel confident in the young talent we have but Ike is crazy if he really thinks he will still be a shut down corner 5-6 years from now.


Well, for one, you dont have to be a shut down corner to be an effective starter. There are only a few shutdown corners in the entire league.

Secondly...Ike has NEVER been a real shut down corner. He has had some games where he shut some WRs down, but overall, has never, in his career, been consdiered a shut down corner (outside of PART of the Steeler fanbase)...so I doubt anyone would expect him to be a shut down guy in 2-3 years....much less 5 or 6.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dan51790


Joined: 10 Apr 2013
Posts: 43
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Ike Taylor had hands and didnt drop 75% of passes that hit him right in the hands he would of been considered a top 10 corner throughout his career. He's always guarded every teams number 1 receiver and does it very effectively. He's been one of the more underrated players over the last decade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gatoradus


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 2216
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont think Ike will remain #1 cornerback for us in near future but because conditioning-wise he's similar to Darrell Green so I can see him still contributing at high level but probably either as a #2 or nickel cornerback. I'll say 36 is the cut-off year (of course just my guess) but yeah.

Hope he'll be around long enough for our youngsters to graduate from his Swaggin university Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MightyJoeYoung


Joined: 03 Jun 2010
Posts: 2939
Location: Wakefield, England
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:
I don't see why he can't play as long as someone like Champ Bailey has. He's as well conditioned as anyone in the league and hasn't had very many injuries. That would give him about another 4 years.


Bailey is only 2 years older than Ike, and has already shown signs of decline. He isnt even close to what he once was, and Ike was never nearly as good as Bailey was.

DONT GET ME WRONG, he potnetially COULD still be good in 4 to 5 years, but its not likely. For DBs, 33 or 34 is USUALLY the age when you start seeing a real decline...so its a year by year thing.

Yes, but Ike does also have less years on his body
_________________


Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MightyJoeYoung


Joined: 03 Jun 2010
Posts: 2939
Location: Wakefield, England
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personaly don't think he is given enough credit
_________________


Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49729
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan51790 wrote:
If Ike Taylor had hands and didnt drop 75% of passes that hit him right in the hands he would of been considered a top 10 corner throughout his career. He's always guarded every teams number 1 receiver and does it very effectively. He's been one of the more underrated players over the last decade.


He'll have a good week, and then go out and get torn up by an average players. Off the top of my head, Justin Gage manhandled him twice, and he struggled with Louis Murphy and Johnny Knox...among others.

I like Ike, but while he is underrated by some, he is overrated by others.

Catching the ball has not been his only issue. He has been plagued by inconsistency his entire career. He will have a half a season where he is a top 5 CB, and the other half he is barely top 25.

Overall, I have never considered Ike a top 10 corner. Even in years when our pass rush was elite, he struggled with consistency. I havent done an assessment in 2 years or so, but I remember having him in the 13-18 range a few years ago.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 3221
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As inconsistent as he's been, the shame is he's been the best CB the Steelers have had since Rod. That's waaay to long ago. While he's prolly best suited as a #2, he was a welcome change from Scott/Washington...etc. As for 3 years from now, I see him being at least the 2nd/3rd best CB. But that has more to do with potential personnel than talent/production.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group