You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots release DL Kyle Love; Claimed by Jaguars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I hear about this, the more I hope Love just steps away from the game.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Diabetes, and now the Jaguars? This guy just can't catch a break.

Live like you're down 3-1
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grachuus wrote:
2) Most players say they will continue being awesome and playing football look at guys like Merriman who did jack squat nothing after his PED issue. "Oh those things don't matter IMA do awesome guys!" This isn't to say that the players goals are unachievable or a lie just that reality is the new life challenges are a significant impediment to those goals for an already taxing job.

Not true, that's a myth. Lets set the record straight on this one. Merriman came back from his PED suspension and recorded 8.5 sacks in the final 5 games that year. The next year, he recorded 12.5 sacks in 15 games. So in the 20 regular season games following his PED suspension, Merriman recorded 21 sacks.

What did Merriman in was a bunch of leg injuries that followed those 20 games including a torn PCL and LCL in 2008(when his downfall started...1.5 years after his PED suspension).

Now, maybe getting off PEDs made him more susceptible to injuries and harder for him to recover but to say he did nothing after being suspended for PEDs is rewriting history and is also false.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Jags should still take a look at him

ask and you shall receive Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My .02 cents (as a law student) are that the patriots did something borderline Illegal by releasing kyle love because he had diabetes. There's a law that protects people who become diagnosed with diabetes from work repercussions, and although football is a different kind of job, NFL teams still have to follow the law.

Pretty low move by the patriots.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadgerBoy001 wrote:
My .02 cents (as a law student) are that the patriots did something borderline Illegal by releasing kyle love because he had diabetes. There's a law that protects people who become diagnosed with diabetes from work repercussions, and although football is a different kind of job, NFL teams still have to follow the law.

So the Patriots are never allowed to release him without you thinking that it's low, but they can release anyone else and that's alright? That's absolutely ridiculous.

adamq

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadgerBoy001 wrote:

not illegal at all. guys get cut because of injury all of the time, illness is no different.. I'm sure there's something in every contract protecting the teams.
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadgerBoy001 wrote:

Don't listen to pft/deadspin that tried to make that argument... it's off base. Type 2 diabetes is not covered under ADA. In MA, neither is type 1 (which is even worse), government employees that have it are bared from certain jobs (like cops for example). So there's absolutely nothing illegal by what they did.

Now, morally is it wrong? Again I don't think it is either. Love needs to lose that fat if he wants to stay healthy but a thinner Love is not an effective DT. He is risking his health by trying to play at his current weight. Why would the Pats keep an ineffective DT on the roster just b/c? Would it be okay for the Pats to disregard Love's well-being and allow him to keep his unhealthy weight in order to play for them? That seems even more objectionable.

Mack on the sig
BadgerBoy001

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
BadgerBoy001 wrote:

So the Patriots are never allowed to release him without you thinking that it's low, but they can release anyone else and that's alright? That's absolutely ridiculous.

I don't really know how nfl contacts work, and the patriots could be within their rights for doing this, but the way I've heard it is that immediately after learning he had diabetes, he was cut. I never heard any rumblings about his roster spot before, so it's probably safe to say this is why he was cut. The ADA specifically prohibits discrimination on the base of disability in employment. To me diabetes is a disability.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pats arent discriminating. Love simply cant do his job as a DT in the NFL and battle type II diabetes. Love needs to lose weight and get healthy, and obviously he cant continue to be an NFL DT for this too happen.

If Love suffered from Type I diabetes, it may be a different story since weight isnt an issue in that case.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Prior to the diagnosis, Kyle recently experienced unexplained weight loss, but since being diagnosed and having altered his diet, Kyle has regained most of the weight he lost, is in good health, and was not limited in any way during offseason workouts in which he was engaged up until being told he would be released."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/patriots-release-defensive-tackle-kyle-love-diabetes-diagnosis-215850735.html

It doesn't sound like its such a huge issue from this report. Another nfl team claimed him so it can't be as black and whie as your painting it to be.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadgerBoy001 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
BadgerBoy001 wrote:

I don't really know how nfl contacts work, and the patriots could be within their rights for doing this, but the way I've heard it is that immediately after learning he had diabetes, he was cut. I never heard any rumblings about his roster spot before, so it's probably safe to say this is why he was cut. The ADA specifically prohibits discrimination on the base of disability in employment. To me diabetes is a disability.
It doesn't apply in any way how you're trying to apply it to the NFL.

green24

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To expand on my point.. The Americans with Disabilities Act does not protect you from losing your job if you have a disability. It protects you from losing a job that you are qualified for, if you have a disability. If someone works at Bank of America and loses their legs, BoA can't terminate their employment as a result of the disability. However, if a lifeguard lost their legs, their employment could be rightfully terminated as a result of the disability, as they are no longer qualified to continue their job.

In cases like this with the NFL, where there is very limited roster spots and the competitive nature of those roster spots, something like the physical limitations that he has shown as a result of the diabetes could be enough for a role player to be viewed as less valuable to the team's ability to win than another guy who had looked to be below him before (that is; he isn't qualified for his job anymore).

Donut

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadgerBoy001 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
BadgerBoy001 wrote:

Let's not act like Love was some special player. He's a better fit for a 3-4 than a 4-3 anyways. i think Deaderick was even taking snaps away from him. If Belichick was confident he could do his job effectively he'd still be on the roster. We have Armstead, who had a heart attack at USC, Bruschi had a stroke, Cannon had Cancer and Matt Light had Crohns disease while he played here. It isnt some constant thing we do cutting players w/ physical ailments.Its not like the Patriots will ever come out and say anything because I don't think they really care what people in the media say.
green24 wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

At least he has a friend going w/ him Laughing They can understand each other's pain

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: