Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

QB David Garrard tells players he's leaving Jets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KBS756

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
A non issue. He wouldn't have made the team anyway.

Without the injury I would have expected him to start the first few weeks ... he;s better then Sanchez and McElroy for sure.
jg6041

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I give him credit for not dragging it out.
He could have hung around to collect some money.
We hardly knew ya David best of luck to you.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
jetfuel

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy that he is out of the mix for the QB's. The guy would have done nothing but drag the team down. He would either steal time from Geno or would have taken the job away from Sanchez for 1 or 2 games until he got hurt. Then they would have put Sanchez in for a few games until he got booed out of the stadium. Sanchez should start and Geno be the back up from day one. Once Sanchez starts his usually ways put Geno in. This was the one signing that I really hated this year.
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This certainly sucks. I thought he'd at least make it through part of the season.

Now if Sanchez starts, the home crowd will be chanting for Geno from the get-go. And as others have said, it probably would be better for Smith to sit for at least the first 6-8 games. It will be interesting to see if the Jets consider bringing in another QB.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
teamorange wrote:
A non issue. He wouldn't have made the team anyway.

Without the injury I would have expected him to start the first few weeks ... he;s better then Sanchez and McElroy for sure.

He really isn't, he hasn't been good since 07. You guys think Sanchez has bad pocket awareness? It would've been awesome watching ekill go on page long rants about Garrard being awful

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Django

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need that vet QB to mentor Geno...
ukjets21

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Django wrote:
Need that vet QB to mentor Geno...

We have a QB coach don't we. I think this vet mentoring things is one of the most overstated things in the NFL.

Adopt a Jet: Sheldon Richardson

Tackles - 77
Sacks - 3.5
Forced Fumbles - 1
4 Carries - 4 Yards - 2 TDs
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called this now get rid of Sanchez and let Geno be the main focus

the more time in training camp he spends with MM, Lee and the 1's the most prepared he'll be. Splitting snaps with bums isn't going to make him better

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather see Geno sit for a minute and adjust. I have no doubt in his IQ, but he will have to adjust his skills to the NFL level. But if he is our best option, then we have to put him out there.

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU & V-Tech (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
Rich51

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be truthful, I want to see who plays best in the preseason.

I hope someone stands out. What I would hate to see is nobody standing out and the job given to someone because he didn't stink as much as the others
famousj

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a shame David Garrard's knee could not hold up. Garrard would have given Geno a better example of a starting NFL QB than Mark Sanchez has shown. I have every confidence Geno Smith will be ready to play Game 1. Geno's ability will outshine Mark Sanchez in preseason and he will earn the starting nod. I expect Sanchez to be traded regardless. The Jets will get another QB via trade or from one of the June 1st cuts. Mark Sanchez has played his last game as the starting QB for the New York Jets. The future of this franchise depends on it.

Props to Sandwich for Sig

Idzik: SPEND BABY SPEND!!!!
mikemart

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/david-garrard-considering-coaching-internship-offer-jets-185830894.html

Surprised this wasn't mentioned at all here, Could be good for Geno if he does it.

Credit to Jamison

Jets, Yankees, Rangers, Knicks, Syracuse
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's think realistically here guys; if anyone really thought Garrard could win that QB battle, that was nothing more than wishful thinking. I'll admit the idea he could potentially win the job in camp floated around in my mind, but the more I thought about it the more I thought this is Sanchez's job to lose. Garrard, due to his durability problems, should have been nothing more than a vet presence on the bench for Sanchez and Geno to look up to during games. I do hate that he had to retire, because I think he could have been really valuable in this role. However, there are reports that say Garrard is considering the Jets offer to be a consultant during training camp for the QBs. That way he can still impart some wisdom and knowledge on our young guys.

I think no matter what these "reports" said a few days ago, Sanchez will be on the team. The only way possible I see him not being here is if Geno plays lights out during preseason, which could happen, but is doubtful IMO. Or maybe if a starter goes down on another team, perhaps then someone would be desparate enough to trade for Sanchez. But again, that's doubtful.

Even with Garrard in the mix, Sanchez was the only experienced QB who hasn't been hampered by injury issues. I would have been nervous if we went into the season with just Geno, Garrard, and McElroy because of Garrard's health concerns. I still think it will be Sanchez who does win this competition in camp. The past 2 seasons there has been a lot of negative plays Sanchez has accounted for, so it's easy for people to write him off. You could see his confidence just plummeted last season. That was due to 3 different factors: injuries to skill players, poor offensive line, and Sparano's system. I won't even include Tebow because it was clear he was never a threat to Sanchez, as Ryan wouldn't play him. I will say that Tebow-mania didn't do Sanchez any favors though and added fuel to the already huge fire.

That all being said, if we thought last season would be indicative of Sanchez's future as an NFL QB, this season will really be the last chance he gets. If he can't bounce back mentally and still makes dumb mistakes, he will take the money we owe him and be looking to hold a clip board for some team next year. I really do like the Geno pick, and I LOVE how he has handled himself at rookie mini camp, but he is coming into a new offensive system. He def has a lot more starting experience at the college level, which Sanchez didn't have when he came out, but there is going to be a lot of process. And even though it's a new system for Sanchez too, he did run a variant of the WCO back at USC, so he is more prepared that Geno is in that regard. But, obviously if Geno shows he can handle it and is the better QB in training camp, by all means I hope he starts then.

And another thing, if Sanchez is demoted to backup, he won't mope or be a cancer. I'm not really sure why people think he wouldn't be a good QB to have as a backup to Geno. Sanchez will be supportive of the starter and do his best in that role, if that is the hand he is dealt. Remember he was benched last year and he didn't make any waves. Even if you absolutely just despise Sanchez for his abysmal play last season, you can't say that the guy isn't a good teammate or doesn't work hard.

IMO, I do think Sanchez will start the majority of the season, though I do think depending upon our record Geno will get his chance to show what he can do. I'm thinking our Bye could be a good indicator of when Geno is finally given the reigns of this team. Our schedule in the second half of the season isn't as daunting as the first half, so that would be the best time to let Geno start. I think our team learned a very valuable lesson from Sanchez though, and hopefully they won't neglect the offense like they have in the past. Even if Geno doesn't get much playing time this season, they will build around him for next year. I know everyone wants instant gratification, especially with how Sanchez has played lately, but Geno is def our QB of the future. He could potentially be our QB of the present by the time training camp ends, but we will have to see how things play out.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCK: 123 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsfandan423 wrote:
Let's think realistically here guys; if anyone really thought Garrard could win that QB battle, that was nothing more than wishful thinking. I'll admit the idea he could potentially win the job in camp floated around in my mind, but the more I thought about it the more I thought this is Sanchez's job to lose. Garrard, due to his durability problems, should have been nothing more than a vet presence on the bench for Sanchez and Geno to look up to during games. I do hate that he had to retire, because I think he could have been really valuable in this role. However, there are reports that say Garrard is considering the Jets offer to be a consultant during training camp for the QBs. That way he can still impart some wisdom and knowledge on our young guys.

I think no matter what these "reports" said a few days ago, Sanchez will be on the team. The only way possible I see him not being here is if Geno plays lights out during preseason, which could happen, but is doubtful IMO. Or maybe if a starter goes down on another team, perhaps then someone would be desparate enough to trade for Sanchez. But again, that's doubtful.

Even with Garrard in the mix, Sanchez was the only experienced QB who hasn't been hampered by injury issues. I would have been nervous if we went into the season with just Geno, Garrard, and McElroy because of Garrard's health concerns. I still think it will be Sanchez who does win this competition in camp. The past 2 seasons there has been a lot of negative plays Sanchez has accounted for, so it's easy for people to write him off. You could see his confidence just plummeted last season. That was due to 3 different factors: injuries to skill players, poor offensive line, and Sparano's system. I won't even include Tebow because it was clear he was never a threat to Sanchez, as Ryan wouldn't play him. I will say that Tebow-mania didn't do Sanchez any favors though and added fuel to the already huge fire.

That all being said, if we thought last season would be indicative of Sanchez's future as an NFL QB, this season will really be the last chance he gets. If he can't bounce back mentally and still makes dumb mistakes, he will take the money we owe him and be looking to hold a clip board for some team next year. I really do like the Geno pick, and I LOVE how he has handled himself at rookie mini camp, but he is coming into a new offensive system. He def has a lot more starting experience at the college level, which Sanchez didn't have when he came out, but there is going to be a lot of process. And even though it's a new system for Sanchez too, he did run a variant of the WCO back at USC, so he is more prepared that Geno is in that regard. But, obviously if Geno shows he can handle it and is the better QB in training camp, by all means I hope he starts then.

And another thing, if Sanchez is demoted to backup, he won't mope or be a cancer. I'm not really sure why people think he wouldn't be a good QB to have as a backup to Geno. Sanchez will be supportive of the starter and do his best in that role, if that is the hand he is dealt. Remember he was benched last year and he didn't make any waves. Even if you absolutely just despise Sanchez for his abysmal play last season, you can't say that the guy isn't a good teammate or doesn't work hard.

IMO, I do think Sanchez will start the majority of the season, though I do think depending upon our record Geno will get his chance to show what he can do. I'm thinking our Bye could be a good indicator of when Geno is finally given the reigns of this team. Our schedule in the second half of the season isn't as daunting as the first half, so that would be the best time to let Geno start. I think our team learned a very valuable lesson from Sanchez though, and hopefully they won't neglect the offense like they have in the past. Even if Geno doesn't get much playing time this season, they will build around him for next year. I know everyone wants instant gratification, especially with how Sanchez has played lately, but Geno is def our QB of the future. He could potentially be our QB of the present by the time training camp ends, but we will have to see how things play out.

If Geno starts Sanchez should be traded/cut. He is not a bad guy by any means but the whirlwind of media around that move is too much to deal with. If we get rid of him then thats one less outside pressure they will have to deal with.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sucks for Garrard, I really thought he was going to be able to accomplish something with the Jets but at least he didn't prolong this and take it into training camp. He gave the Jets plenty of time to decide how to address it, if they feel it needs to be addressed.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: