Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

D Hall: It ain't about the money, I got that from Oakland
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeT14

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: D Hall: It ain't about the money, I got that from Oakland Reply with quote

Quote:
“I’ve been blessed,” Hall said. “I’ve been in this league a long time, I’ve made a lot of money – I got $8 million to play eight games in Oakland. So for me this time around it wasn’t about the money.”

Quote:
“We started something here in Washington with coach [Mike] Shanahan,” Hall said. “That was the biggest thing I wanted to stress. I felt like my contract along with Haynesworth was the reason we were in the situation we were in. So for me it wasn’t about the money. I wanted to come back here, I wanted to finish something I started; I grew up in the Virginia Beach area, I’m a local kid, went to Virginia Tech so I wanted to be a part of this football team. I’ve been a part of it when we weren’t so good so to finally be on the cusp of being great, I want to be a part of that. I was willing to take that pay cut and get back on this football team and help us win.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/15/deangelo-hall-i-got-my-money-in-oakland-its-not-about-that-now/

- mike23md on the sig!
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love D Hall Cool

mike23md on the sig
David Amerson-48 Tackles 12 PD 2 INT 1 TD 1 FF
markrc99

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the problem with that fairy-tale...

Quote:
"A person familiar with the deal said Monday night that Hall decided to return for approximately $2 million in 2013... Hall talked to other teams but couldn't find a better option than to stay where he was - albeit for considerably less money." http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130402/hall-redskins.ap/#ixzz2T8krpBcP

Okay, so you understand what you just read right? Had he received a better offer, guess what? Yeah... I'll have none of it, thank you! Other sources contend he's being paid $1.25M, which is less than they're paying E.J. Biggers right now! He's low risk now so I sort of have to acknowledge... Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right & Hall does exactly all that stuff he's saying. He gets it done this time, I'll be cheering too!
brandonb2005

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:

Quote:
"A person familiar with the deal said Monday night that Hall decided to return for approximately $2 million in 2013... Hall talked to other teams but couldn't find a better option than to stay where he was - albeit for considerably less money." http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130402/hall-redskins.ap/#ixzz2T8krpBcP

Okay, so you understand what you just read right? Had he received a better offer, guess what? Yeah... I'll have none of it, thank you! Other sources contend he's being paid $1.25M, which is less than they're paying E.J. Biggers right now! He's low risk now so I sort of have to acknowledge... Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right & Hall does exactly all that stuff he's saying. He gets it done this time, I'll be cheering too!

But at the same-time you have to test the water to see what value is regardless, remember the business aspect of the league. I believe every thing D.Hall is saying, I remember reading a article when he first got here saying, he wanted to be drafted here because he loved it when the skins brought S.Taylor, Kellen Winslow and him in for a pre-draft visit. But we ended up drafting Sean Taylor.

Also add in the fact that he basically choose to come here over all the other teams after he cleared waivers when he was released from Oakland.

He sees what direction we are going in and with him being older and more mature, he probably is chasing a ring at this point. He should be good financially being a top 10 pick at the age of 20 plus what he made in Oakland and when he was resigned the first time by the Redskins.
markrc99

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brandonb2005 wrote: "But at the same-time you have to test the water to see what [a player's market] value is regardless, remember the business aspect of the league. I believe everything D.Hall is saying, I remember reading a article when he first got here saying, he wanted to be drafted here... Also add in the fact that he basically choose to come here over all the other teams after he cleared waivers when he was released from Oakland. He sees what direction we are going in and with him being older and more mature, he probably is chasing a ring at this point."

You mean you believe everything except the part that he chose to play for less in Washington. And of course, the ring stuff, because had some other team offered him $3M to play elsewhere, that's where he'd be right now. Or that money didn't have anything to do with his decision. All those things have been refuted, right? Yeah... He may want to be a champion but he isn't one himself. If the team decides to carry him, he'll be happy to ride along. What I would say to him is: if only we were that good. Perhaps his game will improve now that he's playing for the minimum. I really can't see that happening, but I don't discount it completely. My suspicion is that he's going to actually have to compete for a roster spot and that he'll be up against it. Someone in the organization wanted to afford him an opportunity to make the team. I suspect it's the owner, Dan Snyder. I don't know if the writing is on the wall, but if it is, I think he's through. I'm sorry.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say if he was offered better contracts from other teams, it was never reported other teams were interested in him. From everything that was reported, we gave him the best offer.

I'm glad we got him at a rate at what he's worth. I think with Hall making less money he will be focused on playing better in this contract year so he can earn a new long term deal and the last multi year deal of his career. He has to know that's on the line this year just as it was for him back in 08 when the Raiders cut him mid season and we signed him. Hall played well when he came to us that season and earned a multi year contract. I'm sure he'll play some better football this year trying to earn a new deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:

Quote:

That's how I understand it also Markrc99. We're on the same page in both of your posts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
brandonb2005

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:
brandonb2005 wrote: "But at the same-time you have to test the water to see what [a player's market] value is regardless, remember the business aspect of the league. I believe everything D.Hall is saying, I remember reading a article when he first got here saying, he wanted to be drafted here... Also add in the fact that he basically choose to come here over all the other teams after he cleared waivers when he was released from Oakland. He sees what direction we are going in and with him being older and more mature, he probably is chasing a ring at this point."

You mean you believe everything except the part that he chose to play for less in Washington. And of course, the ring stuff, because had some other team offered him $3M to play elsewhere, that's where he'd be right now. Or that money didn't have anything to do with his decision. All those things have been refuted, right? Yeah... He may want to be a champion but he isn't one himself. If the team decides to carry him, he'll be happy to ride along. What I would say to him is: if only we were that good. Perhaps his game will improve now that he's playing for the minimum. I really can't see that happening, but I don't discount it completely. My suspicion is that he's going to actually have to compete for a roster spot and that he'll be up against it. Someone in the organization wanted to afford him an opportunity to make the team. I suspect it's the owner, Dan Snyder. I don't know if the writing is on the wall, but if it is, I think he's through. I'm sorry.

Shanahan wants hall to be here, and has said that repeatedly, but with the cap situation his salary just wasn't good for the team. Like D.Hall said in the interview Alberts contract and his former contract is what had us in the whole to begin with. Granted he didn't play like a 8million dollar corner, he played well enough IMO with virtually the worst safety play in the NFL outside of the Panthers.

See what a lot of people are quick to point out is how much he gets beat when they don't really understand the game of football. D.Hall is not a shut down or cover corner. He is a ball hawk who will take chances, and in taking those chances you will get beat occasionally/often. Football is a team game and the secondary has to play as a unit for the back end to be successful. Yes we have younger talent but they still have to develop.
Minnifield has never played an NFL down, Crawford is far from a finished product to play a substantial amount of downs on defense. That leaves us with Amerson (rookie, who will have growing pains), Josh Wilson starter, and EJ Biggers. So now you see we really couldn't afford to lose him after all. Our coaching staff and the players really like D.Hall, I can see him playing a lot of nickel while still starting opposite Josh Wilson. Biggers and Amerson will more then like like play outside when D.Hall moves inside on nickel formations.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, I understand what type of player Hall is, I just don't like that type of player because I don't think it's a productive type of DB.

If in order to be a ball hawk, you have to gamble on nearly every snap you have you aren't a good db. And if by gambling all the time you let your teammates out to dry and having to cover more area than they can because they are making up for your misjudgments on the field, then I don't approve of that.

If you don't do you job and cover your man or area the way you should, then you aren't being a good DB.

If other players are required to try to cover your mistakes all the time, the you aren't a good DB.
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Just for the record, I understand what type of player Hall is, I just don't like that type of player because I don't think it's a productive type of DB.

If in order to be a ball hawk, you have to gamble on nearly every snap you have you aren't a good db. And if by gambling all the time you let your teammates out to dry and having to cover more area than they can because they are making up for your misjudgments on the field, then I don't approve of that.

If you don't do you job and cover your man or area the way you should, then you aren't being a good DB.

If other players are required to try to
cover your mistakes all the time, the you aren't a good DB.

Well Biggers has been worse with less turnovers,age shouldn't be a reason to assume EJ will grow as a player,Hall is better....

mike23md on the sig
David Amerson-48 Tackles 12 PD 2 INT 1 TD 1 FF
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

If other players are required to try to
cover your mistakes all the time, the you aren't a good DB.

Well Biggers has been worse with less turnovers,age shouldn't be a reason to assume EJ will grow as a player,Hall is better....
I'm certainly not assuming anything with any player
markrc99

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brandonb2005 wrote: "Shanahan wants hall to be here, and has said that repeatedly, but with the cap situation his salary just wasn't good for the team [which Hall himself as acknowledged]. ... Granted he didn't play like a 8million dollar corner, he played well enough IMO with virtually the worst safety play in the NFL... See what a lot of people are quick to point out is how much he gets beat when they don't really understand the game of football. D. Hall is not a shut down or cover corner. He is a ball hawk who will take chances, and in taking those chances you will get beat occasionally/often. ... Minnifield has never played an NFL down, Crawford is far from a finished product to play a substantial amount of downs on defense. That leaves us with Amerson (rookie, who will have growing pains), Josh Wilson starter, and E.J. Biggers. So now you see we really couldn't afford to lose him after all. Our coaching staff and the players really like D.Hall, I can see him playing a lot of nickel while still starting opposite Josh Wilson. Biggers and Amerson will more then likely play outside when D. Hall moves inside on nickel formations."

What Mike Shanahan says and the fact of any given matter haven't always been consistent. Ask an adamant Cooley fan or anyone like myself who tracked closely the circumstance regarding Jamaal Brown or competition in training camp. Ask some Bronco fans. Dude, he's known for his doublespeak. More so than any other coach? I can't say, but my guess is certainly no less. They just and resigned him for $1.25M, which is by no means indicative of a high degree of confidence. To my mind, even though he flashes the ability from time to time, he isn't a true ballhawk. De' Hall is just a gambler & a poor one at that. You raise concern about the younger players, but with the exception of just one other CB, De' Hall allowed the most yards throughout the entire league! I don't know if it's true, but in one of these articles I cite or read, a reader contends he gave up the most in 2011. This notion that it can get a lot worse is a stretch, to say it mildly. These first four address the fact that Hall & Doughty are liabilities in downfield coverage.

Quote:
“You don’t ever see [Woodson] running down the field not looking for the ball,” Hall told the Washington Post. “He’s always underneath, blitzing, having some type of zone coverage underneath so he can see the ball, using instinctive football ability under there. And that’s kind of what we’re doing.” Hall has been a liability in downfield coverage over the past few seasons, though he’s remained a strong tackler and can make plays on the football. The new responsibilities could certainly play to the strengths of Hall’s game." http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/02/deangelo-hall-thinks-hes-the-next-charles-woodson/

Quote:
"Unlike Charles Woodson, DeAngelo Hall has been utterly awful when it comes to downfield coverage. Even head coach Mike Shanahan admits DeAngelo Hall’s poor form and considers him to be a liability in downfield coverage." http://www.faniq.com/blog/Redskins-to-place-their-faith-in-DeAngelo-Hall-20-NFLs-new-Charles-Woodson-Blog-50270

Quote:
"Pro Bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall has been one of the most controversial players on the field for the Redskins. Often times he has shown elite playmaking ability, only to be burnt downfield the next game." http://proplayerinsiders.com/redskins-hall-looking-to-turn-things-around/

Quote:
"Doughty, a free agent who figures to be back, is a solid tackler but a liability downfield." http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/report/WAS/14594684/redskins-report-strategy-and-personnel

Now, you acknowledged that Hall isn't even a cover corner. Watching him, I can tell you that besides his poor recognition & inability to turn & run, change of direction is an issue too! Finally, he's being paid accordingly. Remember, there's no commitment, in order to earn that money he has to make the team. I guess you're going to be shocked if they cut him again. I have no idea why you would be, he's not this guy people think he is. Now, of equal concern is his attitude & complete insubordination.
Quote:
"Hall was playing the side opposite Andre Johnson... far from the action. "That's how it was. That ain't how it's going to be from here on out. I'm going to be wherever the [expletive] ball's going," Hall said. "Wherever the receiver's going, that's where the [expletive] I'm going. That's the bottom line. That's something we got to do in order to win games. So that's what's going to happen." And apparently, defensive coordinator Jim Haslett's opinion on the subject is not of great importance to Hall. "It don't matter what he say," Hall said. "It don't matter what he say. This my team. This my defense. So I'm [going to] follow the receivers around. That's what I'm [going to do]. If we got to do that to win games, that's what we do." Hall, however, has previously mentioned his concerns about his role to Haslett. ...

On his crucial touchdown, Johnson won his individual battle against free safety Reed Doughty, out-jumping Doughty to come up with the ball. The Redskins were in a man-to-man defense with nickel cornerback Phillip Buchanon having responsibility for Johnson underneath and Doughty over the top. But Buchanon surprisingly released Johnson to Doughty before he should have, and Doughty was no match for the taller and stronger all-pro wideout."
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/deangelo-hall/deangelo-hall.html

Quote:
"Even though CB DeAngelo Hall blasted off on him after Monday night's loss, Redskins rocket scientist Jim Haslett has no problem with the Pro Bowler. ..."He's an emotional guy. He's high-strung," Haslett said of Hall, who surrendered a 30-yard completion on third-and-21 late in the fourth quarter on a play where Haslett had dialed up a blitz that left Hall in single coverage with Cowboys WR Dez Bryant. ... "Sooner or later, someone's going to (expletive) figure it out," Hall said after the game. "You don't have to be a rocket scientist." http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/09/redskins-jim-haslett-has-no-beef-with-deangelo-hall/1#.UZTHWRyv0_I

See, this is just totally unacceptable, you can't have this $h!+, I'm sorry. Just so you know, that first one is from 2010 & you can see from the url, the 2nd one is from 2011. And there's been other incidences since. This sort of behavior, trashing your coach in the media is synonymous with the former culture, which of course, Hall is a product of. The reason I don't believe he's Shanahan's player is because he isn't & this just doesn't jive with Shanahan's emphasis on discipline & high character. Santana Moss has done this too. He voiced frustration in '07 & again in 2010, directed at the coaching staff. During the offseason last year, he had to be told to come to camp in better shape! These leftovers from the culture of failure should be let go, I'm sorry. I don't get it, pre-draft almost everybody in here was like; coverage, coverage, coverage, coverage. And so, okay great, these guys, many whose market value is at rock bottom & are clear liabilities, they need to go. So London Fletcher, ah, no...he stays. Oh, okay, now Reed Doughty, um excuse me...he stays too. De' Hall? Yeah, he stays as well. But as I've said before, even if there were an argument for these guys, the team didn't have to pay them anywhere near what they did to keep them.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post markrc99! I fully endorse it. I've been saying it for years but in most of redskins nation that message falls on deaf ears.
brandonb2005

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its laughable at this point that you guys think are secondary would be better without Hall at this point.

Just because you per say don't like his style of play doesn't mean he isn't productive. With improved safety play you will see a completely different cornerback.

Look at the bad years Carlos Rogers had with us...He played extremely inconsistent because he felt the need to press for turnovers and got away from what he was. Carlos is and was one of the best cover corners when he was locked in and was just worrying about blanketing his guy.

Hall cant change direction??? He is one of the most athletic corners in the league. He gets burnt a lot because he is often looking in the backfield or bites on double moves. Thats the first time I ever heard anything negative about his agility/athleticism.

Simply put...our secondary looks a lot better like it is right now! As opposed to not having Hall when it would look like this...

CB- Josh Wilson (Starter)
CB- EJ Biggers or Amerson (Starter)
CB- EJ or David
CB- Minnifield and Crawford

EJ Biggers has great speed and blanket ability, but he has a hard time locating the ball/ getting his head turnaround.

Shanahan and Hass have been stressing the importance of getting turnovers since they arrived. Without Hall we only have one CB (Amerson) who can do that and he hasn't even played a down in the NFL, so it has yet to be proving.

Right now we have the perfect mix of cover corners and ball hawks including the rookie safeties + Merriweather.

We can only hope at this point that Rambo, Thomas, and Amerson develop together into a consistent unit.

Also at this point I expect to D.Hall to ball out this year with it being a contract year.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hall is one of the worst starting CBs in the league. I honestly do think we'd be better without him, because I believe the other cb who replaces him wouldn't gamble as much as Hall.

I most certainly would rather have Biggers or Amerson start because they'd be at worst equal to Hall in coverage immediately, and they will only improve over the next 4 or 5 years and Hall will be regressing as a player in that same timeframe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: