Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bernard Pollard won't go with Ravens to the White House
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Bernard Pollard won't go with Ravens to the White House Reply with quote

Quote:
Breaking: So @Crushboy31 says to @NorrisandDavis he intends to get his @Ravens SB ring ,but will NOT go w/ them to White House @1057TheFan

http://twitter.com/sportswcoleman/statuses/334641971014557697

Quote:
And @Crushboy31 will NOT get his @Ravens SB ring at ceremony either , telling @NorrisandDavis "he will be on vacation" @1057TheFan

http://twitter.com/sportswcoleman/statuses/334643599385972736

After been released this off-season Pollard says he will be a no-show to the ring at ceremony and also the the White House visit, he says he will take his Superbowl ring some other way though.

Seems like he's bitter for getting cut after a SB win.
Tom Brady Tribute
ravens5520

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you blame him? I understand the direction the organization is taking with out safeties, but I'd be bitter to with how his released went down.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens5520 wrote:
Do you blame him? I understand the direction the organization is taking with out safeties, but I'd be bitter to with how his released went down.

How did it go down that makes you believe you'd be bitter too?

Unless I missed something, it didn't seem any different than any normal cut. We decided that with losing Ed, we'd be better off with cutting ties with Pollard as well because they complemented each other very well, but apart they aren't as good as the sum.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As FM asked, how is this different from other players being cut? I'm not saying he shouldn't/can't be upset, that's his prerogative, but as an outsider looking in, I'm not sure his release "went down" any different from other's. Seems like a lot of people outside of the organization and fan base are trying to make a lot of transactions far more than they really are this offseason for the Ravens. The story on the front page of si.com right now is still harping on the Boldin trade, for example.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens5520 wrote:

Yeah, I do. There are plenty of players from that team that aren't with the team anymore. The 2012 squad won the Super Bowl. Those were his teammates that he won with. He experienced all those ups and downs with them.

Him not going simply justifies releasing him in the first place. Here you have a team celebration- a team accomplishment... and he backs out for personal reasons. That's a me-first attitude. Those are the actions of someone that put themselves ahead of the team.

Now do I care if he's not there? No. It doesn't bother me at all. But I will hold him not showing up against him. Be classy and celebrate with your team, a unit that you should hold etched in your memory. If I were in his situation I most certainly would show up because I would think about and know that years from now, I would want to say, "I remember when my team won the Super Bowl.. I remember meeting Barack Obama and him congratulating us, I remember getting my ring with all the guys and the jokes we told for that one final time before we all went on our separate ways... and I remember it being a special time in my life- one last time for me to hold onto the feeling of being the ultimate champion in my sport before going back to business. That moment will never die."

But no. Instead Pollard will remember years from now that he was sipping on pina coladas, drinking some rum, or what have you... perhaps making it rain in a club, at a bar, maybe the beach... location unimportant... and he will remember that while he could have done all that other crap some other time and attended a truly unique experience... he didn't because he was throwing a hissy fit, temper tantrum and blaming the Ravens for his boo-boo. It's a profession, a business. In any business you've got to deal with crap circumstance. But in every business you also have brothers in arms (or ladies)... and THAT'S what makes it worthwhile (outside of financial compensation).

All I know is that if this is the extent of Pollard's character, I can truly say we made the right decision in moving on. If there are any players with grip cases against this franchise, he isn't one of them IMO.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether the allegations were true or not Pollard got threw under the bus as a release. Maybe not by the team directly but the media definitely had a slew of conspiracy theories that I seriously doubt harbaugh straightened out on a personal level with Pollard. Not saying he should have and quite honestly I don't care but to act like a mockery wasn't made of Pollard and his release is ridiculous. It was made out like everybody on the team was tired of his actions And the locker room was glad to see him leave. Now this may or may not have been true but nobody went out their way to say otherwise and the fact that specific events were used leads me to believe that their was some merit to the story.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmorecareful wrote:
Whether the allegations were true or not Pollard got threw under the bus as a release. Maybe not by the team directly but the media definitely had a slew of conspiracy theories that I seriously doubt harbaugh straightened out on a personal level with Pollard. Not saying he should have and quite honestly I don't care but to act like a mockery wasn't made of Pollard and his release is ridiculous. It was made out like everybody on the team was tired of his actions And the locker room was glad to see him leave. Now this may or may not have been true but nobody went out their way to say otherwise and the fact that specific events were used leads me to believe that their was some merit to the story.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/John-Harbaugh-Releasing-Bernard-Pollard-Purely-A-Cap-Move/78952787-ba5e-46e6-aa50-b3035714c00c

John Harbaugh wrote:
“It’s a cap move, pure and simple,” Harbaugh said. “Bernard is another guy that I have tremendous respect for. We talked often. He was part of our leadership council.”

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/John-Harbaugh-Releasing-Bernard-Pollard-Purely-A-Cap-Move/78952787-ba5e-46e6-aa50-b3035714c00c

John Harbaugh wrote:
“It’s a cap move, pure and simple,” Harbaugh said. “Bernard is another guy that I have tremendous respect for. We talked often. He was part of our leadership council.”

Bro its one thing to release a statement and another to reach out to the player, u can read between the lines that he hasn't spoke to Pollard about the allegations made by what he said in the statement. He spoke in past tense and didn't really address anything specific. Once again I don't really care but everything u read about Pollard and his release paints him as a cancer in the locker room and I don't see any players or coaches coming to his defense on it.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:

John Harbaugh wrote:

You honestly believe that? lol.
NickZambo

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised the White House will be open to host the Ravens with the sequester cuts and all.

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
TreeFiddy350

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of advice from a New England fan: Don't make Pollard angry.
Laughing
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmorecareful wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:

John Harbaugh wrote:

Bro its one thing to release a statement and another to reach out to the player, u can read between the lines that he hasn't spoke to Pollard about the allegations made by what he said in the statement. He spoke in past tense and didn't really address anything specific. Once again I don't really care but everything u read about Pollard and his release paints him as a cancer in the locker room and I don't see any players or coaches coming to his defense on it.

Coaches and players seldom just start reaching out to the media to try and correct things said by them. That's the media's job -- to stir the pot and get viewers/readers. I'm not arguing that it isn't the case -- I'm arguing that assuming it is based on what's been said in the media, and then ignoring the flip side argument which has also been said to the media, is an ignorant stance to take.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:

John Harbaugh wrote:

Why wouldn't I?

Why could it not be a bit of both? That A) His attitude was a potential problem they did not want to deal with after losing both Ray and Ed who could keep him in check, as well as B) they recognized his lack of coverage skills would be exploited once Ed was gone.

It's not an all or nothing type deal which I feel most people are trying to spin it as. If Pollard was this awesome player with a boisterous attitude, a lot more would be forgiven. But, he simply was in the best position for him next to Ed because they both were great at what the other lacked. Now that Ed left, Pollard would likely be exposed, much like he was in the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:

John Harbaugh wrote:

Why wouldn't I?

Why could it not be a bit of both? That A) His attitude was a potential problem they did not want to deal with after losing both Ray and Ed who could keep him in check, as well as B) they recognized his lack of coverage skills would be exploited once Ed was gone.

It's not an all or nothing type deal which I feel most people are trying to spin it as. If Pollard was this awesome player with a boisterous attitude, a lot more would be forgiven. But, he simply was in the best position for him next to Ed because they both were great at what the other lacked. Now that Ed left, Pollard would likely be exposed, much like he was in the Super Bowl.

It's like I said earlier, why wouldn't his lack of coverage skills actually be MORE exploited when Ed Reed was here? Ed's coverage responsibilities had nothing to do with Pollard, so idk why you think just because Ed is gone that now somehow Pollard is going to be exposed more. That just doesn't make logical sense. Not one bit.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
It's like I said earlier, why wouldn't his lack of coverage skills actually be MORE exploited when Ed Reed was here? Ed's coverage responsibilities had nothing to do with Pollard, so idk why you think just because Ed is gone that now somehow Pollard is going to be exposed more. That just doesn't make logical sense. Not one bit.

Because Pollard rarely had to play the back-half of the field when he was on the field with Reed allowing him to succeed in the role he's best at. Remember when Pollard was heavily criticized for being terrible in coverage? That's because with the Chiefs and Texans (especially the latter) he was used more as a traditional safety who had more coverage responsibilities. Baltimore was smart and used him mostly near the LOS or in the intermediate area of the field. Without Reed or a true center fielding threat they don't have that luxury.

Now Huff can play the back-half pretty well too but with his man-coverage skills I assume he's going to be lining up on TEs and WRs quite a bit too so they need another safety who has some range (which Elam does, although he's more of a SS type too). Pollard wasn't a great fit for the rest of the personnel anymore.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: