Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OTA/Minicamp/Preseason Schedules and Leaving Valley Ranch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: OTA/Minicamp/Preseason Schedules and Leaving Valley Ranch Reply with quote

OTA Schedule

Quote:
OTA and Minicamp Schedule

May 21-23: Organized Team Activities
May 28-30: Organized Team Activities
June 3-6: Organized Team Activity
June 11-13: Mandatory minicamp

Fantastic write-up from Broaddus on the coaching staff. HERE

Quote:
What I noticed about Kiffin is that he likes to move from drill to drill at times pulling players out of the line and working with them on a one-on-one basis if he doesn’t see something right.

Quote:
It’s all about quickness with Marinelli and how you get up the field. He doesn’t have time for players that get tired. If he sees you playing without effort, he is all over you. There were several times during the practices where he had a few choice words for his guys.

Looking forward to seeing how this defensive front responds.

Also, love the fact that Leon Lett is getting some tutelage under Marinelli. Should pay off in spades for him.

More on Marinelli...

Interview w/ Herm Edwards
Quote:
On what makes Rod Marinelli so good:

“Rod is very consistent. When you need a hug, Rod is going to give you a great big hug, but he is going to force you to play up to your talent level. He is not going to allow you to waste you your God-given talent. He’s going to make sure that you understand, it’s not just about you. It’s about the 10 other guys that are expecting you to do your job, and do it at the highest level you can do it at. He’ll tell you this, we say it all the time, ‘Hey look, we want you to go hard, as hard as you can go every play. If you need to tap out for rest, we’ve got guys over here. You tap out. We’ll give you a couple plays rest.’ It became all of the sudden, the cry on defense. ‘We’re going to run as hard as we can run. We’re going to run to the ball. We’re going to chase the ball, this is how we play. If I need a rest, I’ll tap out.’ Those guys after a while had so much pride about not leaving that huddle due to the fact that they were tired, they made sure that they had their self in shape.”

Quote:
Where I chose to watch practice from during the weekend, there were plenty of opportunities to observe Gary Brown and his work with the running backs. The one trait that I was impressed with Brown, was his attention to detail.

Broaddus refers to the attention to detail numerous times throughout article. Though a little gun shy, have to admit I'm very much looking forward to seeing this team take the field in September.

Preseason Schedule

Quote:
vs Miami Dolphins (Canton, OH) Sunday 8/4 8pm NBC
@ Oakland Raiders Friday 8/9 10pm --
@ Arizona Cardinals Saturday 8/17 430pm --
vs Cincinnati Bengals Saturday 8/24 8pm --
vs Houston Texans Thursday 8/29 8pm --

Via Facebook
Quote:
DeMarcus Ware
Getting my armor ready for the season....will be suited up for battle!

Sean Lee

Quote:
Lee, who said he’s been studying film of how Chicago Bears linebackers Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs played in the Tampa-Two scheme, is in the final year of his rookie contract. It’s likely that the Cowboys will try to sign him to a long-term deal.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=249538

Dez Bryant

Quote:
"There’s no more games, no more wondering,”

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=248623

Gosselin: When it’s all said and done, Jason Garrett will call the plays for the Cowboys this season

Quote:
On why there is still a delay with the Cowboys when it comes to naming a play-caller:

Gosselin: “Because I think Jason Garrett is going to call the plays. I think they’re trying to put some separation between the end of last season and the start of the season. I think Jason Garrett feels he has to make the playoffs this season. Three straight years of non-playoffs, I think he has to make the playoffs this year to continue on as coach

Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.

Last edited by WizardHawk on Thu May 16, 2013 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still don't know if I see Garrett calling plays, but whatever.

I'm excited about our new additions to the staff. Monte, for as old as he is, definitely doesn't act it. Love seeing that he's constantly correcting and teaching.

^^^Deadpulse
textaz03

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to read a great article that goes deep into Kiffens and Marinelli's defensive scheme, check out this one by Rafael Vela. It's about the "Jet" technique that they employ with the Dlineman. Very interesting on its history.

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2013/05/the-sprinters-scheme-part-2-can.html?m=1

At the tail end of the article, I found this most interesting

Quote:
The Jet has worked, for tackles and ends alike. Most important for Cowboys partisans, tackles and ends who appear too small have thrived in it. Freeney played over a decade of super football at 6'1", 268 lbs. His book-end Robert Mathis played at 6'2", 245. Henry Thomas, the Vikings nose tackle Jimmy Johnson tried in vain to include in the Herschel Walker trade, weighed only 277 lbs.

Here is another article from Rafael talking about the Slant Nose that Kiffen runs with his defense.

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2013/05/the-kiffin-4-3-sprinters-scheme.html?m=1

Quote:
Being large is not a requirement for an effective Tampa-2 nose. In Minnesota, Henry Thomas played the 1 at well under 300 lbs. In Tampa, Brad Culpepper, a 275-lb. fire ant, clogged the middle, letting Sapp run free.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the term "looks good on paper" springs to mind, this is the most encouraging news I have heard from this coaching staff in a while.

Being a teacher for a decade now, I have noticed that there has been a significant and steady decline in the student's attention span and ability to pay close attention to detail. The same could also be said for professional athletes. I mean, they were studetns as well and may very well be in that mindset.

All in all, I am a stickler for detail in the classroom and I have to say, it makes all the difference. So if these coaches are really harping on details, details, details, then I anticipate a much needed chnage in the execution of our defensive players. We shall see.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 1h
Tyrone Crawford said he's about 285-295 lbs. coaches told him he's playing LDE & both DT spots.

Think

Ace5 wrote:
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Quote:
Tyrone Crawford said he's about 285-295 lbs. coaches told him he's playing LDE & both DT spots.

Think

I'd imagine he'll sub in for Spencer on some downs at LE...maybe they're thinking about playing Crawford at LDE and moving Spencer to SLB in certain packages?

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing Marinelli mold Crawford. Maybe the next Melton?

^^^Deadpulse
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Quote:

Think

I'd imagine he'll sub in for Spencer on some downs at LE...maybe they're thinking about playing Crawford at LDE and moving Spencer to SLB in certain packages?

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing Marinelli mold Crawford. Maybe the next Melton?
they could also kick Spencer across to RDE to give Ware a break or if Ware is injured (assuming there is some issue with Wilber at RDE)

Personally, I'd like to see a heavy line up, say Crawford Lissy Rat Hatcher on occasional run downs. Those guys can still pass rush, should it be a play action, but we'd have an extra 80 lbs or so on the line as well. Then with Spencer at Sam, you could use him in the typical Kiffin zones or blitz him, either one.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Maybe the next Melton?

Been saying this for a while.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/05/on-the-move-cowboys-explore-options-with-frisco-arlington-and-irving-for-a-new-practice-facility.html/

Quote:
Arlington officials met with the Cowboys earlier this year about building a practice facility near Cowboys Stadium. And Irving officials have made it known they don’t want to lose a franchise that has been part of the city’s fabric since Texas Stadium opened its doors and roof in 1971.

Ace5 wrote:
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/05/on-the-move-cowboys-explore-options-with-frisco-arlington-and-irving-for-a-new-practice-facility.html/

Quote:
Arlington officials met with the Cowboys earlier this year about building a practice facility near Cowboys Stadium. And Irving officials have made it known they don’t want to lose a franchise that has been part of the city’s fabric since Texas Stadium opened its doors and roof in 1971.

Didn't realize how outdated Valley Ranch was. Can't say I'm surprised they're looking at a new facility.

^^^Deadpulse
buckwild

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:

Quote:

Didn't realize how outdated Valley Ranch was. Can't say I'm surprised they're looking at a new facility.

Read that Frisco is actually the front runner if they decide to move. Not really alot of space near the death star for a practice facility.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Free will compete with Jermey Parnell for the starting job at right tackle. Last year, Free and Parnell rotated on the right side for the final month of the season.

If were looking for key training camp battles, it doesn't get any bigger than that.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
Felix=Fast!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:

Quote:

Read that Frisco is actually the front runner if they decide to move. Not really alot of space near the death star for a practice facility.
Wasnt room in Arlington for Jerry World but if arlington wants it bad enough they will tear down some apartments and make room
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:
Quote:
Free will compete with Jermey Parnell for the starting job at right tackle. Last year, Free and Parnell rotated on the right side for the final month of the season.

If were looking for key training camp battles, it doesn't get any bigger than that.

I feel like there are a lot more interesting camp battle this year than most.

LG, RG, RT, S, S, and SLB are starting positions with legitimate competition. The 3rd WR and 2nd TE as well. The defensive line rotation will be very interesting to see how it shakes out as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@AdamSchefter: NFL and NFLPA are on verge of pushing back draft to May and moving up start of league year to before combine, per sources.

@AdamSchefter: NFL and NFLPA are close to enacting these calendar changes for the next three years.

I'm curious, what other schedule changes???

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: