Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who will prove to be the best offseason acquisition?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
green4gulf


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 2240
Location: TN, by way of Palm Beach FL
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
^^What he said, offense needs to be on the field more. Teams also couldn't run on as easily so they passed more than usual. The biggest thing the defense can improve upon is takeaways.


I disagree with the theory that Offenses passed the ball against our Defense because our run Defense was so outstanding.

Our run Defense was nothing special.....slightly above average, and only looked great in comparison to our pass Defense.

My argument is; Offenses passed on our Defense simply because they could.

As evidenced by this years early Draft picks, it seems the FO agrees.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maddogg


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 1702
Location: A Galaxy Far Far Away......
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every team passes on every team they face. Its life in the NFL now. The rules have changed so much that it is hugely advantageous that you do.
_________________



Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 2, Tackles 4 Assists 2

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 2 : Death 10 Joe 7
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Warpticon


Joined: 21 May 2010
Posts: 1587
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
Our defense hasn't been what's holding this team back the past couple seasons. And we've improved it (on paper) again this year.

Wallace needs to be the key acquisition this season.


While that is the common perception around here, I'll point out that our Defense was ranked an abysmal 27th against the pass last year and at the same time our Offense was only ranked 26th in passing.

My point is the Defense certainly had a lot to do with our losing.....at least equally as much as our Offense.


It really didn't. You're looking at team "rankings" in terms of gross yardage with no context. That is next to meaningless.

The Dolphins gave up the 6th most pass yardage in the league, which is why they're "ranked" 27th. What that number doesn't take into account is that the Dolphins D was on the field for 1073 plays, the 7th highest total in the league (meanwhile, the offense played only 981 plays, the 5th lowest total in the league). Or that they had 600 passes thrown against them, the 6th highest total in the league. When your run defense is stout, teams have to pass against you, and if you are on the field for enough plays, you will inevitably give up some yardage. What's important is your efficiency, and the Dolphins were decent in that regard.

The Dolphins held opponents to the 9th best completion percentage against and surrendered the 6th fewest passing touchdowns while having the 6th most passes thrown against them. They were 11th at preventing 3rd down conversions, which were primarily passing downs.

In the most important aspect of defense, the Dolphins allowed 18 points per game on defense while holding opponents to 2.97 points below their seasonal averages, the sixth best differential in the league. They did this while operating at a sizable play deficit and rarely having a lead of any significant size. So, no, I don't think it's fair to say that the defense had a lot to do with losing at all.

None of this is to say that pass D couldn't use improvement. It definitely could. But it's nowhere near as bad as looking at the raw yardage alone makes it look.


Well said

A big part of the reason our Defense was on the field is because they couldn't stop anyone.

I'll add that it can be argued that since our Offense scored so little it affected other teams play calling which made us look better than we actually were in scoring Defense.

Since its like arguing which came first, the chicken or the egg.........Well have to agree to disagree.


This is nonsense. That's exactly the opposite conclusion you should draw with that information. When a defense is in the top 3rd of a league in creating 4th downs and the top 5th of the league in preventing points from being scored, and you know this, it's not just a mistake to say they can't stop anyone. It's an outright falsehood. We'll have to "agree to disagree" because you clearly have your own preconceived notions and no interest in looking at the facts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bpastermack


Joined: 17 Feb 2009
Posts: 13146
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to defensive rankings, total yards might be the worst barometer. These are the stats I would look at...

1. Total points allowed
2. Passing efficiency
3. Yards per rush

even these have shortcomings. If all teams do is run draw plays against you then their yards per rush will be higher and sacks don't get included for instance.

This is where Miami ranked in these categories last year...

1. 7th
2. 13th
3. 7th

and in sacks? 7th

All of this points to us having a solid defense, borderline top 10. But in my opinion not quite good enough to rattle the likes of Tom Brady, but we have made strides and are young!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheKillerNacho


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 9638
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best rookie: Dion Jordan
Best FA: Brent Grimes if healthy
_________________
With much cheese,

Nacho Simulation Football League
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Phinsnation84


Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 528
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
Best rookie: Dion Jordan
Best FA: Brent Grimes if healthy


What he said
https://t.co/CLTjDLytgV
_________________

Olivier Vernon
2014 Stats: 1 SACK 3 TCKLs 0 FF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green4gulf


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 2240
Location: TN, by way of Palm Beach FL
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
Our defense hasn't been what's holding this team back the past couple seasons. And we've improved it (on paper) again this year.

Wallace needs to be the key acquisition this season.


While that is the common perception around here, I'll point out that our Defense was ranked an abysmal 27th against the pass last year and at the same time our Offense was only ranked 26th in passing.

My point is the Defense certainly had a lot to do with our losing.....at least equally as much as our Offense.


It really didn't. You're looking at team "rankings" in terms of gross yardage with no context. That is next to meaningless.

The Dolphins gave up the 6th most pass yardage in the league, which is why they're "ranked" 27th. What that number doesn't take into account is that the Dolphins D was on the field for 1073 plays, the 7th highest total in the league (meanwhile, the offense played only 981 plays, the 5th lowest total in the league). Or that they had 600 passes thrown against them, the 6th highest total in the league. When your run defense is stout, teams have to pass against you, and if you are on the field for enough plays, you will inevitably give up some yardage. What's important is your efficiency, and the Dolphins were decent in that regard.

The Dolphins held opponents to the 9th best completion percentage against and surrendered the 6th fewest passing touchdowns while having the 6th most passes thrown against them. They were 11th at preventing 3rd down conversions, which were primarily passing downs.

In the most important aspect of defense, the Dolphins allowed 18 points per game on defense while holding opponents to 2.97 points below their seasonal averages, the sixth best differential in the league. They did this while operating at a sizable play deficit and rarely having a lead of any significant size. So, no, I don't think it's fair to say that the defense had a lot to do with losing at all.

None of this is to say that pass D couldn't use improvement. It definitely could. But it's nowhere near as bad as looking at the raw yardage alone makes it look.


Well said

A big part of the reason our Defense was on the field is because they couldn't stop anyone.

I'll add that it can be argued that since our Offense scored so little it affected other teams play calling which made us look better than we actually were in scoring Defense.

Since its like arguing which came first, the chicken or the egg.........Well have to agree to disagree.


This is nonsense. That's exactly the opposite conclusion you should draw with that information. When a defense is in the top 3rd of a league in creating 4th downs and the top 5th of the league in preventing points from being scored, and you know this, it's not just a mistake to say they can't stop anyone. It's an outright falsehood. We'll have to "agree to disagree" because you clearly have your own preconceived notions and no interest in looking at the facts.

This is turning into one of those " the statistics you post don't matter only the statistics I post do" arguments.

I'm not really into that.

For me the bottom line is; our Pass Defense needs a lot of improvement, but at least our Coaching staff and GM seem to recognize that and have made some personnel adjustments to try to account for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green4gulf


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 2240
Location: TN, by way of Palm Beach FL
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phinsnation84 wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Best rookie: Dion Jordan
Best FA: Brent Grimes if healthy


What he said
https://t.co/CLTjDLytgV


I agree.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group