Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who will prove to be the best offseason acquisition?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Who will prove to be the best offseason acquisition? Reply with quote

Who do you think will be the best addition to this team from this current off season?

I suspect it will be Dion Jordan in the long run, but I think Brandon Gibson is going to shock a lot of people at how productive he can be. Certainly Mike Wallace should out produce Gibson in totals, but per dollar I suspect Gibson will be the MUCH better buy.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best rookie year one? Caleb Sturgis K, honorable mention to Gillislee and Jamar Taylor

I think Jordan will take a year to really blossom once they get him in the weight room and help him learn how to rush the passer with his hand int he ground.

Best FA? Wallace. The guy will do more than catch passes. He will also change the way the defense plays us and force the safeties to roll over and play deeper, which will open up the run game and the underneath stuff. Honorable mention is Keller, Ellerbe if he repeats his end of the year tear from last year, or even Clabo

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if he will get a chance but as far as value ie. initial investment as the denominator for production, Jasper Collins.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallace
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bringing back Reggie Bush or Sean Smith....addition by subtraction.

As for players on the roster...

Wallace, not only for what he does as a WR, but how he will draw attention from the other offensive players.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent Grimes, he is an achilles injury separated from being a top 5 CB. He's pretty cheap for how good he has been, if he is near that level it's a bargain.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
RealMetalFan

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
Brent Grimes, he is an achilles injury separated from being a top 5 CB. He's pretty cheap for how good he has been, if he is near that level it's a bargain.

You beat me to it. One of the best zone corners in the NFL when he was healthy.

That right there is Catrinel Menghia, hottest woman who ever lived, soon to be Catrinel Alexander if she isn't careful.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our defense hasn't been what's holding this team back the past couple seasons. And we've improved it (on paper) again this year.

Wallace needs to be the key acquisition this season.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Our defense hasn't been what's holding this team back the past couple seasons. And we've improved it (on paper) again this year.

While that is the common perception around here, I'll point out that our Defense was ranked an abysmal 27th against the pass last year and at the same time our Offense was only ranked 26th in passing.

My point is the Defense certainly had a lot to do with our losing.....at least equally as much as our Offense.
SUG

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take a bit of a different route here.

I'll say on Deff either Phillip Wheeler or Ellerbe.
The mere thought of Cam Wake & Deion Jordan could very well force Deff to throw a lotta 3 step drops.
I'm fully expecting those guys to light/blow up opponents.

On Off, I gotta go with Keller, Gibson &/or Lamar Miller.
Man the entire NFL knows who Mike Wallace is, he will always be double teamed.
L. Miller can be a dual threat as he can catch pretty well outta the backfield & Keller wares out 80% of NFL LBs.
Either of these could be extremely productive underneath as the Tannehill further helps develop our WC Off & we
clearly have 3 good/great WRs.
Don't go to sleep on Gibson, I saw him play against us in Mia last yr & he is a silky smooth route
runner with great hands who is an absolute load to bring down.

sug
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the draft, Caleb Sturgis. I have a guy who works with me who is good friends with Caleb, they hung out this last weekend. He told me Sturgis is really happy he is in Miami, Caleb is from right here in Saint Augustine so he is close to home and cant wait to get out there.

FA - I think Wallace will impress, though I dont think he will put up Mega numbers, I see him with 900+ yards 5-8 TDs (Im going low)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
cddolphin wrote:

While that is the common perception around here, I'll point out that our Defense was ranked an abysmal 27th against the pass last year and at the same time our Offense was only ranked 26th in passing.

My point is the Defense certainly had a lot to do with our losing.....at least equally as much as our Offense.

It really didn't. You're looking at team "rankings" in terms of gross yardage with no context. That is next to meaningless.

The Dolphins gave up the 6th most pass yardage in the league, which is why they're "ranked" 27th. What that number doesn't take into account is that the Dolphins D was on the field for 1073 plays, the 7th highest total in the league (meanwhile, the offense played only 981 plays, the 5th lowest total in the league). Or that they had 600 passes thrown against them, the 6th highest total in the league. When your run defense is stout, teams have to pass against you, and if you are on the field for enough plays, you will inevitably give up some yardage. What's important is your efficiency, and the Dolphins were decent in that regard.

The Dolphins held opponents to the 9th best completion percentage against and surrendered the 6th fewest passing touchdowns while having the 6th most passes thrown against them. They were 11th at preventing 3rd down conversions, which were primarily passing downs.

In the most important aspect of defense, the Dolphins allowed 18 points per game on defense while holding opponents to 2.97 points below their seasonal averages, the sixth best differential in the league. They did this while operating at a sizable play deficit and rarely having a lead of any significant size. So, no, I don't think it's fair to say that the defense had a lot to do with losing at all.

None of this is to say that pass D couldn't use improvement. It definitely could. But it's nowhere near as bad as looking at the raw yardage alone makes it look.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
cddolphin wrote:

It really didn't. You're looking at team "rankings" in terms of gross yardage with no context. That is next to meaningless.

The Dolphins gave up the 6th most pass yardage in the league, which is why they're "ranked" 27th. What that number doesn't take into account is that the Dolphins D was on the field for 1073 plays, the 7th highest total in the league (meanwhile, the offense played only 981 plays, the 5th lowest total in the league). Or that they had 600 passes thrown against them, the 6th highest total in the league. When your run defense is stout, teams have to pass against you, and if you are on the field for enough plays, you will inevitably give up some yardage. What's important is your efficiency, and the Dolphins were decent in that regard.

The Dolphins held opponents to the 9th best completion percentage against and surrendered the 6th fewest passing touchdowns while having the 6th most passes thrown against them. They were 11th at preventing 3rd down conversions, which were primarily passing downs.

In the most important aspect of defense, the Dolphins allowed 18 points per game on defense while holding opponents to 2.97 points below their seasonal averages, the sixth best differential in the league. They did this while operating at a sizable play deficit and rarely having a lead of any significant size. So, no, I don't think it's fair to say that the defense had a lot to do with losing at all.

None of this is to say that pass D couldn't use improvement. It definitely could. But it's nowhere near as bad as looking at the raw yardage alone makes it look.

Well said

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^What he said, offense needs to be on the field more. Teams also couldn't run on as easily so they passed more than usual. The biggest thing the defense can improve upon is takeaways.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
cddolphin wrote:

Well said

A big part of the reason our Defense was on the field is because they couldn't stop anyone.

I'll add that it can be argued that since our Offense scored so little it affected other teams play calling which made us look better than we actually were in scoring Defense.

Since its like arguing which came first, the chicken or the egg.........Well have to agree to disagree.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: