Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why don't NFL teams have a Minor League system? (Redskins)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Why don't NFL teams have a Minor League system? (Redskins) Reply with quote

Would it be a violation to the NFLPA or against any other rules?

We're always talking about them needing to expand the roster limit of 53. But they just won't budge. Yet, it's all about safety... Rolling Eyes (Instead, injured players usually have to play because of the limited roster, thus injuring themselves further)

Why not allow NFL teams to have "1" NFL Minor League team.
To stash their late round picks, signed UDFA's, etc. (obviously with term limits, like those eligible for the practice squad)

Heck, i could see this pouring in more money, that the NFL cash hog loves.

Their played seasons, could be during the off Season of the NFL. Feb/Mar--to--July/Aug
They could even be shorter in # of games. Like 8/12 games?
And those Minor League teams could play, on designated NFL teams Stadium. (The Redskins Minor League team plays @Fed Ex) Simple...

They would have to carry a different first name, obviously...(for legal rights & stuff)

But why not a Landover Redskins team?
So guys like WR Jason Thompson or others can get a closer look, instead of chasing a different career path.

MLB has a minor League system.
Why not the NFL?

I would LOVE this,as a diehard football fan!!
Not to mention...man, it's boring right now. lol

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely everything about this would be positive if there was a minor league system in the NFL. Here are examples of how this is true:
1. Some "unknown" players would get a shot to prove themselves. Also the players would be making money (albeit, not a whole lot, but better than nothing).
2. The fans will be happy watching the potential future of the NFL in front of their eyes. Who wouldn't want to watch someone like Marcus Mason (remember him, guys?) potentially take over the league, then getting another shot he deserves in the NFL?
3. The owners of the NFL teams would be making money on ticket sales. Look at minor league baseball. Imagine the MLB without all of the minor leagues that they have. I think there's somewhere around 4 of them (AAA, AA, A, and a rookie league, I believe). Of course, the minor leagues of baseball get nowhere close to the amount of publicity that the MLB gets, but they still get numerous fans showing up to each and every one of their games. I don't see how it'd be any different for a minor league for football.
Duke Ihenacho: IR
Ryan Clark: 40 tackles, 1 PDef, .5 sacks
Logan Paulsen: 9 catches, 46 yards... and a fumble
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget why this never happened in the past. (Possibly Woz or Thai remember) It could very well be that it needs to be negotiated into the CBA and they've never visited it, I don't know. When midniteric was active on the board he used to talk about this issue every offseason.

I know a few years back in the offseason there were a few articles about the subject but nothing ever materialized.

Like the previous two posters I agree, it would be great to have a minor league system. Hopefully the NFL does develop one someday.

If they did, hopefully the prices would reflect they fact that we are watching the minor leagues and the prices won't be overpriced like the NFL and Colleges do.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG

Last edited by turtle28 on Tue May 14, 2013 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you guys remember the European League-- I think like 4 or 5 NFL teams would supply talent for one Uro team.. Musta been 6-8 teams in the league..I thought it was a great idea.. Don't really remember details as to why it wasn't kept going or wasn't a success.
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've tried to have certain so-called minor league organizations but the biggest problem was the funding. Football is an extremely expensive sport to run leagues for. I just don't think a minor league football league will ever be able to bring in enough revenue to survive. It's a ashame too because there is no doubt that there has been talent that has slipped through the cracks.

mike23md on the sig!
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Don't you guys remember the European League-- I think like 4 or 5 NFL teams would supply talent for one Uro team.. Musta been 6-8 teams in the league..I thought it was a great idea.. Don't really remember details as to why it wasn't kept going or wasn't a success.
yeah, NFL Europe. I used to watch it when it was on. I don't even know why it died, every time in watched, the stands were packed. The league gave us Kurt Warner, Jake Delhome and maybe more players I can't remember.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
They've tried to have certain so-called minor league organizations but the biggest problem was the funding. Football is an extremely expensive sport to run leagues for. I just don't think a minor league football league will ever be able to bring in enough revenue to survive. It's a ashame too because there is no doubt that there has been talent that has slipped through the cracks.
Have they ever had the NFL run the league though?

I don't remember them doing it that way. I think it could be done of the NFL helped fund the league and the teams that were playing were tied to the NFL team in their area. If that's done, then fans know they are watching possibly their teams future players. I'd rather watch practice squad players play football once a week than to not get to watch them practice.

SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:

I believe NFL Europe teams had NFL team affiliates. I could be wrong but i think the Skins were connected to a team in Burn, Germany. The last minor league football I believe they put serious effort was the AAFL the started in 2007 and collapsed in 2010.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_American_Football_League

mike23md on the sig!
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:

I believe NFL Europe teams had NFL team affiliates. I could be wrong but i think the Skins were connected to a team in Burn, Germany. The last minor league football I believe they put serious effort was the AAFL the started in 2007 and collapsed in 2010.

yeah but that was in Europe, they haven't done it in the US.

Leagues like the USFL, XFL, UFL etc, etc failed because they tried to compete with the NFL. If the NFL started a minor league system, I believe it would be different and successful.

Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WLAF originally was it's own entity. However, the NFL took it over somewhere along the line and basically used it as a spring league for some of its players plus European ones.

The main reason that they don't have a formal minor league is probably two fold:
1. As SeanTayorsaPIMP mentioned, running a football team is expensive. It's nearly impossible to get anywhere close to breaking even, so the owners would have to agree to run the league at a loss. They did this with NFL Europe/Europa for awhile, but they grew tired of throwing the money away for a couple of decent players.

2. They don't want to tick off their unofficial minor league: the NCAA. If the NFL stood up a true minor league, it would essentially be competing with college football. Since they have an organization that is willing to handle all of the costs themselves, why rock the boat?

A possible third reason is that the NFLPA might be against the idea. On one hand some of these fringe players get to play, but that also means the ones who are on the roster fringe players could be replaced by cheaper options that are game ready from the minors. Remember, the union is supposed to represent all of the players even the guys who are just barely on the roster. A minor league would be a threat to their livelihood.

Other reasons could be simply logistics: how do you "elevate" a player from your minor league franchise? What happens if you take that team's QB? Are you willing to let the rest of your minor leaguers suffer a potentially significant drop off? What kind of contract would you offer said player? If a player goes up and down, do they still earn a year of service? Would you limit the number of up and downs? Etc.
Redskins24-7

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
WLAF originally was it's own entity. However, the NFL took it over somewhere along the line and basically used it as a spring league for some of its players plus European ones.

The main reason that they don't have a formal minor league is probably two fold:
1. As SeanTayorsaPIMP mentioned, running a football team is expensive. It's nearly impossible to get anywhere close to breaking even, so the owners would have to agree to run the league at a loss. They did this with NFL Europe/Europa for awhile, but they grew tired of throwing the money away for a couple of decent players.

2. They don't want to tick off their unofficial minor league: the NCAA. If the NFL stood up a true minor league, it would essentially be competing with college football. Since they have an organization that is willing to handle all of the costs themselves, why rock the boat?

To reason 1... I'm pretty sure people like Daniel Snyder can afford to run an additional football team. NFL owners are some rich people.

To reason 2... That's just ridiculous to me. First off, how is the NCAA anything like a minor league to the NFL? It's college players. They aren't getting paid (yet). They can only remain for a maximum of 4 years (well, 5 if you count redshirts). Players occasionally spend their whole careers in the minors in baseball. Anyway, I don't see how a minor league would be challenging NCAA football in the least. Unless they both play on Saturdays, I don't see it as even close to a major concern. Also, what could the NCAA truly say/do if the NFL created a minor league? Have Mark Emmert (president of the NCAA) say "We don't like you anymore, NFL!" or something like that? Laughing That's just silly.
Duke Ihenacho: IR
Ryan Clark: 40 tackles, 1 PDef, .5 sacks
Logan Paulsen: 9 catches, 46 yards... and a fumble
mike23md

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins24-7 wrote:
Woz wrote:

To reason 1... I'm pretty sure people like Daniel Snyder can afford to run an additional football team. NFL owners are some rich people.

To reason 2... That's just ridiculous to me. First off, how is the NCAA anything like a minor league to the NFL? It's college players. They aren't getting paid (yet). They can only remain for a maximum of 4 years (well, 5 if you count redshirts). Players occasionally spend their whole careers in the minors in baseball. Anyway, I don't see how a minor league would be challenging NCAA football in the least. Unless they both play on Saturdays, I don't see it as even close to a major concern. Also, what could the NCAA truly say/do if the NFL created a minor league? Have Mark Emmert (president of the NCAA) say "We don't like you anymore, NFL!" or something like that? Laughing That's just silly.

To reason 1: Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones would have no problem running a minor league because they are the 2 largest NFL franchises. That being said, what about smaller markets like Jacksonville or Arizona? Minnesota, Green Bay, etc....

It comes down to the shared revenue aspect again, and I dont think that the Snyders and Jones's of the NFL even like the NFL shared revenue pool, so why do it again for the "minor leagues" when they dont have to spend anything for the NCAA.

To Reason 2: The NFL already has a stipulation for players coming into the league that they must have a minimum of 3 years eligibility played before they can enter the NFL draft. MLB basically can pluck kids out of high school and when they graduate, they can choose to play in the minor leagues or go to college.

Simple reason for NCAA football is that it is already a perfect platform for taking the next step into the NFL. So why add more steps to it. Either perform or do something else.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
brandonb2005

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:

NFL Europe basically was the minor league system, gave guys a chance to get looked at and a few teams were affiliated with clubs over seas.

I believe it dies down because it was costing more then it was getting back (money wise).

Also with football being so psychical you want your guys in the best shape for the games that count. It would be a great idea for young talent to develop but the injury risk outweighs the development risk.
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't watch this. NCAA and NFL is enough. I'm sure most of America agrees with me and therein lies this issue.

chauboy wrote:
Then there was 1 group of girls that were just standing against of wall, the group being hot, just texting. Just intimidating.
mike23md

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
I wouldn't watch this. NCAA and NFL is enough. I'm sure most of America agrees with me and therein lies this issue.

Exactly, cause how often did you or do you watch a CFL game, a USFL game or even a World League/NFL Europe game.

NFL Europe, sure when it came out but lost interest quickly.

The other two are just not that interesting to me.

Arena Football doesnt make a heck of a lot of sense.

So if its not American Rules Football, played in college and NFL, then I don't think that I would watch it.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: