Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Under the radar players for training camp
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WillParks


Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 391
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Under the radar players for training camp Reply with quote

The talent level of the lions is much higher than it has been for a long time. There are always some lesser known players that have a bigger impact than anyone expects. My picks are:

Rodney Austin: Added some muscle to his 6'4" 311 pound frame and very athletic. Has taken practice snaps at RG, C and is learning LG. I think he will lock up a back-up job and maybe be in the mix at C.

Tahir Whitehead: Had a very quiet rookie season but has all the physical tools to take Justin Durant's spot. I am not sold on Ashlee Palmer as a starter.

LaAdrian Waddle: You can't teach big and is 6'6" and 320lbs. Had a lot of starts for Texas A&M. May not be a great fit at LT but could be a monster RT.

Corey Fuller: Not exactly a sleeper but he will out perform his draft position. I see him being a situational player early in the season. If he stays healthy he could be the ideal number two receiver that we have been looking for. I see him having a huge second half of the season.

Carmen Messina: I see him becoming a back-up LB and special teams demon. That is good value for a practice squad player.

Who are everyone else's sleepers?


Last edited by WillParks on Tue May 14, 2013 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DrRay11


Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 3288
Location: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Edwards. I liked him a lot last year, but apparently he was dealing with a quad issue. Hopefully he can step up this year.
_________________
Football is love, love is life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tippitover


Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 536
Location: 313
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waddel is from Texas tech. Otherwise I will say Patrick Edwards and te furia
_________________
Adopt-a-Lion: Joique "Naughty by Nature" Bell

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sllim Pickens


Moderator
Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 19043
Location: Middle of the Mitten
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still excited to see what Chris Greenwood can do. He has insane athletic ability and size so if he can put it together, our CBs will not look too bad.
_________________


Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
LionsFTW


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 18080
Location: Rock City, Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I'm still excited to see what Chris Greenwood can do. He has insane athletic ability and size so if he can put it together, our CBs will not look too bad.


honestly, if Greenwood becomes what I hope he can, as well as Slay, Houston is the odd man out. which sucks because I really like him but Slay and Greenwood have a much higher ceiling on God's Gifts alone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
I'm still excited to see what Chris Greenwood can do. He has insane athletic ability and size so if he can put it together, our CBs will not look too bad.


honestly, if Greenwood becomes what I hope he can, as well as Slay, Houston is the odd man out. which sucks because I really like him but Slay and Greenwood have a much higher ceiling on God's Gifts alone.
Houston actually knows how to play football, I don't think he has anything to worry bout.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
DrRay11


Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 3288
Location: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
I'm still excited to see what Chris Greenwood can do. He has insane athletic ability and size so if he can put it together, our CBs will not look too bad.


honestly, if Greenwood becomes what I hope he can, as well as Slay, Houston is the odd man out. which sucks because I really like him but Slay and Greenwood have a much higher ceiling on God's Gifts alone.
Houston actually knows how to play football, I don't think he has anything to worry bout.


Not to mention from a "God's Gifts" standpoint, Houston is actually pretty damn impressive, too:

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Chris&l=Houston&i=7686
_________________
Football is love, love is life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LionsFTW


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 18080
Location: Rock City, Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
I'm still excited to see what Chris Greenwood can do. He has insane athletic ability and size so if he can put it together, our CBs will not look too bad.


honestly, if Greenwood becomes what I hope he can, as well as Slay, Houston is the odd man out. which sucks because I really like him but Slay and Greenwood have a much higher ceiling on God's Gifts alone.
Houston actually knows how to play football, I don't think he has anything to worry bout.


Not to mention from a "God's Gifts" standpoint, Houston is actually pretty damn impressive, too:

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Chris&l=Houston&i=7686


speed and strength yeah, but he's under 6 foot and has been in the league for a long time so you can't expect him to still have the same speed as these two young guys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 48901
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
I'm still excited to see what Chris Greenwood can do. He has insane athletic ability and size so if he can put it together, our CBs will not look too bad.


honestly, if Greenwood becomes what I hope he can, as well as Slay, Houston is the odd man out. which sucks because I really like him but Slay and Greenwood have a much higher ceiling on God's Gifts alone.
Houston actually knows how to play football, I don't think he has anything to worry bout.


Houston contract will be up about time these guys are worthy to take his spot
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IDOG_det


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 23004
Location: Ron Paul 2012 #JDI
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked Messina coming out and thought he should have been drafted, so he'd be my choice.
_________________


R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LionsFan630


Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 11255
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Edwards is probably the guy to watch. Likely would've been on the roster late last year had he not got hurt.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DetroitPride26


Joined: 25 Nov 2011
Posts: 1558
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Messina and Edwards..Had them both on my Roster when I made an offseason mock months ago...also think Devin Taylor is gonna turn into an animal!! I think we got better on all sides of the ball this year...
_________________
Lions 2014: To A Better Year!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Detroitlions703


Joined: 22 Dec 2008
Posts: 11256
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitPride26 wrote:
also think Devin Taylor is gonna turn into an animal!! I think we got better on all sides of the ball this year...


He had the best player in the country on the opposite side of him and he couldnt produce. Why would he now? I hope i am wrong and think he has the tools, he just hasnt shown them yet.
_________________
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Oregon Ducks wrote:
Pats4ever wrote:
Hahaha. This team does not belong here
Mods, take care of this troll or I will.


Hold on mods. I wanna see where this goes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
1King


Moderator
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 33128
Location: daboyle250 on the sig.
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroitlions703 wrote:
DetroitPride26 wrote:
also think Devin Taylor is gonna turn into an animal!! I think we got better on all sides of the ball this year...


He had the best player in the country on the opposite side of him and he couldnt produce. Why would he now? I hope i am wrong and think he has the tools, he just hasnt shown them yet.


While you bring up valid points, it doesnt tell the entire story iyam. That SCAR defense was loaded with NFL caliber players pretty much all over the place. Only so many stats to go around.
_________________


El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.


candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome


TEAM STYLISH
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Detroitlions703


Joined: 22 Dec 2008
Posts: 11256
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1King wrote:
Detroitlions703 wrote:
DetroitPride26 wrote:
also think Devin Taylor is gonna turn into an animal!! I think we got better on all sides of the ball this year...


He had the best player in the country on the opposite side of him and he couldnt produce. Why would he now? I hope i am wrong and think he has the tools, he just hasnt shown them yet.


While you bring up valid points, it doesnt tell the entire story iyam. That SCAR defense was loaded with NFL caliber players pretty much all over the place. Only so many stats to go around.


I will admit i dont know much about SC's defense but didnt his stats decrease yearly? Did they change defenses every year? He definitely has the length and the size and hopefully having 3 monsters across from him will make it easier for him.
_________________
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Oregon Ducks wrote:
Pats4ever wrote:
Hahaha. This team does not belong here
Mods, take care of this troll or I will.


Hold on mods. I wanna see where this goes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group