Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So please educate an outsider on the enigma Josh Freeman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: So please educate an outsider on the enigma Josh Freeman Reply with quote

I've only had the occasion to catch a few Tampa games over the years

What exactly is going on with the kid? I've seen a guy with an absolute cannon for an arm who seems to be maddeningly inconsistent with his decision-making.

what is it that he is doing wrong, what is he doing right? What do you see as his future?
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all wonder the same thing. He'll throw a bounce pass on an open comeback and the next play drop a beauty over the DB's head for a huge gain.

It's very frustrating.

I think we all assume this is the year that decides his future with us.
YoungBucs15

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much the reactions from every game, sometimes a little more Jack, sometimes a little more Boozer.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One play: 60 yard bomb lasered through tough coverage into the receivers hands = Shocked

Next play: Will have a wide open guy 5-6 yards away, overthrow him by 20 yards right into a defenders hands = Rolling Eyes

= Josh Freeman.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erratic qb play.

Definitely showed the world he isn't that type of QB to carry a team with deficiencies.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much have a good in depth analysis.

- Stares down Wrs too often.
- Doesn't really look off defenders
- Erratic decision making to the point it makes you question if he does a good job reading defenses from pre to post snap.
- Accuracy is spotty.
- Doesn't perform in big games. His hot streak came against sub par to poor pass defenses.
- Gets rattled and confused it seems.

He throws a very good deep ball. He can be accurate at times, but not consistently. As some stated above, will make a throw that makes your jaw drop (see carolina game). Then makes throws that make you go WTF?

I'm rooting for Josh. I was a fan of his when he came into the league. However, he hasn't really corrected his deficiancies, even since he was a freshman year in college. Things like, footwork, decision making, poor field vision, locking onto his first read, and struggling consistency all date back to his kansas state days that haven't been seem to break.

I hope it some how comes together, but I'm not getting my hopes up .

Let's just say this: There is more to drafting Glennon than what Dom and Schiano stated as "back up".
bucstopshere

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:

- Erratic decision making to the point it makes you question if he does a good job reading defenses from pre to post snap.
- Accuracy is spotty.
- Doesn't perform in big games. His hot streak came against sub par to poor pass defenses.

He throws a very good deep ball. He can be accurate at times, but not consistently. As some stated above, will make a throw that makes your jaw drop (see carolina game). Then makes throws that make you go WTF?

I'm rooting for Josh. I was a fan of his when he came into the league. However, he hasn't really corrected his deficiancies, even since he was a freshman year in college. Things like, footwork, decision making, poor field vision, locking onto his first read, and struggling consistency all date back to his kansas state days that haven't been seem to break.

Let's just say this: There is more to drafting Glennon than what Dom and Schiano stated as "back up".

you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Glennon is to push Freeman. Freeman has been very supportive of it so far, so lets hope his play becomes more consistent now

#TakeTeddy
RoeKG

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's something to be said of Freeman's psyche and how it plays into this hot and cold thing everyone sees.

Personally, I believe that Freeman plays at his best when he is cool, calm, and collected. When the pressure is on, he falls apart. In 2010, there was no reason the team should have been good. And Freeman put out an amazing season (albeit against weak competition). In 2011 obviously the pressure was on, and he faltered, hard.

In 2012 we started slow. Played some close games, but ultimately were 1-3. Against the Redskins the whole team and Freeman especially played like hot garbage and we were down 21-6 - and it should have been more. And then all of a sudden Freeman is the best QB in the league. He continues to blaze his way (again, against bad teams) until the team is 6-4. Then playoff talk starts... and he falls apart and we only win 1 more game against the Falcons who were in cruise control.

If he can get his act together and stay relaxed, I think he's a top 10 QB without question. If he can approach every team the same, maybe he stays relaxed. But we haven't seen that happen. Maybe Glennon forces him to zen out, I don't know. But if he doesn't get his act together I can see him floundering around for another season, and then his future in Tampa is very, very questionable.
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucstopshere wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:

- Accuracy is spotty.

you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Glennon is to push Freeman. Freeman has been very supportive of it so far, so lets hope his play becomes more consistent now

Agreed. R&P catches a lot of crap for being a "Freeman hater" but he's not wrong at all.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
bucstopshere wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:

- Accuracy is spotty.

Agreed. R&P catches a lot of crap for being a "Freeman hater" but he's not wrong at all.

I don't like being labled the term Freeman hater. The guy seems like a good dude to go out and chill with. I'm simply a fan, who has played the sport, and am giving my honest evaluation of what I see. As a fan I want to see the Bucs win and thrive with Freeman.

However, I have a tough time seeing him getting better. A lot of things that haven't been corrected or improved are stuff dating back to his freshman year at KSU. It's year 5 in the NFL, what is to think it improves from what I listed above?

The one thing I like about Glennon is, his football IQ seems to be very high. His throwing on anticipation is very good as well. I will admit, I liked Tyler Wilson better than Glennon, but I think this could end up being a good pick in the end.
tallflguy

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
bucsfan333 wrote:
bucstopshere wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:

- Accuracy is spotty.

I don't like being labled the term Freeman hater. The guy seems like a good dude to go out and chill with. I'm simply a fan, who has played the sport, and am giving my honest evaluation of what I see. As a fan I want to see the Bucs win and thrive with Freeman.

However, I have a tough time seeing him getting better. A lot of things that haven't been corrected or improved are stuff dating back to his freshman year at KSU. It's year 5 in the NFL, what is to think it improves from what I listed above?

The one thing I like about Glennon is, his football IQ seems to be very high. His throwing on anticipation is very good as well. I will admit, I liked Tyler Wilson better than Glennon, but I think this could end up being a good pick in the end.

I wouldn't call you a "hater" either. I also played football (high school and college) and your evaluation is spot on.

I feel that he has got better in going through his reads, but he still has the tendency to stare down his primary read. Is accuracy is spotty, but I think Josh's biggest problem is his decision making. They are times that he throws a ball to someone that is completely covered trying to force the issue and it's times that he seems almost afraid to push the ball down the field. He also really doesn't have the ability to "throw someone open"

I wasn't a fan of Glennon (he misses throws that a high-school QB hits regularly), but he does have the arm and the IQ to push Josh, I just hope all of this is a wake up call to him.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing on freeman is he doesn't anticipate well. It seems he waits the wr to break and get open before seeing the open space and letting it rip before the wr breaks. Glennon anticipates well. If glennon picks up the offense well and quick that will speak volumes.
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
bucsfan333 wrote:
bucstopshere wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:

- Accuracy is spotty.

I was in that group and I apologize.

Anywho, it took Eli forever to figure it out. Free has the physical skills and what we believe to be competent coaches. I suppose we'll see.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else have the feeling that Glennon will start a couple of games this year and look good, prompting an immediate quarterback controversy?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
Anyone else have the feeling that Glennon will start a couple of games this year and look good, prompting an immediate quarterback controversy?

It all depends on how quickly glennon picks up the offense. He's still going to e a rookie qb. If he learns the offense and gets a handle on it by preseason then he's in a great situation to play.

But right now it's best to take it slow and let him progress and learn the offense. He's got no pressure on him to play now. If he comes I learns the play book and performs then freeman is only going to feel the heat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: