Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Former Eagles QB Donovan McNabb announces his retirement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Blahman88


Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 24600
Location: Eagles Forum HOF + Gold Standard
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you retire 5 you have to retire Runyan and Thomas....simply shouldn't happen

You don't retire numbers for very good players.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EaglesFan5-36-81


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 14558
Location: Sky is the limit and Space is the place
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiltman wrote:
I'm all for shelving #5 next to #12 (though someone should be able to use that soon).....but not retiring it all together.

But I'm of the opinion that only #15, #20, and #60 should be retired

I get the arguments for the others, but those three players fit my criteria for it.

The rest should be in circulation....#92 would be another shelved one, but that would've been a good one to give to Fletcher last season as a badge of honor thing. The others enough time has pasted that they'd be worn.

My big hang up with Reggie is that he left...and is recognized as a Packers probably more than he is an Eagles. Dawk left because they low balled him....but he was still an Eagle and always will be like Chuck and SvB.


Reggie had more sacks with the Birds than the Pack, and wanted to stay, but our owner was a moron at the time. 92 absolutley should be retired.

99 almost had to be retred due to the circumstances. First off he was well on his way to a near hall of fame career with he Simmons and Reggie on that DL, he was putting up monster numbers, and was dominating every interior lineman he went up against. He was the Warren Sapp of his era, that good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rememberthevet


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 1636
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles27 wrote:
I wouldn't retire a number unless the player was at least a borderline HOF.

McNabb was consistently good for a long period of time. Would you consider retiring his number if he wasn't the face of the franchise? Should simply being being the best QB of a franchise without any HOF's at the position be celebrated to that extent? I don't think McNabb deserves to get his number retired anymore than a guy like Tra Thomas.

McNabb deserves to be honored. But retiring his number would just be romanticizing an era that will ultimately be remembered as a failure.

McNabb is a borderline HOF. He would have my vote. There are people in the HOF that don't deserve to be in when standing next to his numbers. And the "inflated statistics" argument is bogus, you either do it or you don't, and he did it with nobodies for a long time. Winning a Superbowl should not be mandatory for HOF, this is a team sport. McNabb had the unfortunate luck of playing in the same era as Manning, Brady and Bees, and that's pretty much why he's not a shoe in for the HOF, but he earned the right to have his #5 retired in Philly. He leads every major statistical category for Eagles QBs, including wins.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rememberthevet


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 1636
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Kiltman wrote:
I'm all for shelving #5 next to #12 (though someone should be able to use that soon).....but not retiring it all together.

But I'm of the opinion that only #15, #20, and #60 should be retired

I get the arguments for the others, but those three players fit my criteria for it.

The rest should be in circulation....#92 would be another shelved one, but that would've been a good one to give to Fletcher last season as a badge of honor thing. The others enough time has pasted that they'd be worn.

My big hang up with Reggie is that he left...and is recognized as a Packers probably more than he is an Eagles. Dawk left because they low balled him....but he was still an Eagle and always will be like Chuck and SvB.

.
Reggie had more sacks with the Birds than the Pack, and wanted to stay, but our owner was a moron at the time. 92 absolutley should be retired.

99 almost had to be retred due to the circumstances. First off he was well on his way to a near hall of fame career with he Simmons and Reggie on that DL, he was putting up monster numbers, and was dominating every interior lineman he went up against. He was the Warren Sapp of his era, that good.

Why people would want to retire the number of a player who CHOSE to retire with another team is beyond me. I loved Reggie but that's ridiculous
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EaglesFan5-36-81


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 14558
Location: Sky is the limit and Space is the place
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rememberthevet wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Kiltman wrote:
I'm all for shelving #5 next to #12 (though someone should be able to use that soon).....but not retiring it all together.

But I'm of the opinion that only #15, #20, and #60 should be retired

I get the arguments for the others, but those three players fit my criteria for it.

The rest should be in circulation....#92 would be another shelved one, but that would've been a good one to give to Fletcher last season as a badge of honor thing. The others enough time has pasted that they'd be worn.

My big hang up with Reggie is that he left...and is recognized as a Packers probably more than he is an Eagles. Dawk left because they low balled him....but he was still an Eagle and always will be like Chuck and SvB.

.
Reggie had more sacks with the Birds than the Pack, and wanted to stay, but our owner was a moron at the time. 92 absolutley should be retired.

99 almost had to be retred due to the circumstances. First off he was well on his way to a near hall of fame career with he Simmons and Reggie on that DL, he was putting up monster numbers, and was dominating every interior lineman he went up against. He was the Warren Sapp of his era, that good.

Why people would want to retire the number of a player who CHOSE to retire with another team is beyond me. I loved Reggie but that's ridiculous


Its not, he might be the greatest player to ever wear an Eagles uniform, that alone deserves to be retired. He also wanted to stay in Philly but our owner at the time was a cheap moron. Also Dawk went elsewhere so to say that is flat out dumb and blasphemy. Its not his fault he wasn't offered a contract to stay. Also he went into the hall as both an Eagle and Packer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kiltman


Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 14870
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Numbers......Reggie was the greatest player to ever wear an eagles uniform


But he was far from the greatest Eagle.....and those are the types of guys who should get their number retired to me.


Really I'm not a fan of the practice....of the top of my head this would be my five criteria


- Impact the game every time you step on the field
- be an integral part of a Championship(s) or be a center piece of a successful era
- Embrace the fans and the City
- Leave it all out there on the field and give it everything you have
- "Be an Eagle" after retirement..and still identify with the Franchise


Dawk, Bednarik, and SvB all hit those....Reggie hits only three (1,3,4)

I'm not angry that his number is retired, I'm ok with it....after those three I mentioned he is near the top of the most deserving....(of course it's hard for me to truly speak on Retzlaff, Brookshier, and Wistert as I didn't watch most of their games)......just saying if it was me, his number would've only been shelved....especially after his death, same goes for Jerome.
_________________

2013 Gold Standard Baldy Winner | The Final(?) ENBD Champion | other stuff too
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EaglesFan5-36-81


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 14558
Location: Sky is the limit and Space is the place
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilty, you realize Bednarik had a falling out with Lurie and openly rooted against the Eagles during the 03 Super Bowl? Now since then both he and Lurie have rectified the relationship, but he was far from an Eagle during that period.

Also, in 1991 the Eagles had arguably the greatest defense EVER for a single season, he was perhaps the biggest reason for that, and at the very least, and intregal part of that and it was a successful era given the lack of offense and ownership being completely inept. You really can't blame the "Be an Eagle" thing on him either, as Norman Braman never offered him a contract despite Reggie repeatedly saying he wanted to return. Ergo, 2 and 5 either were fufilled, or should have been, but due to circumstances out of his control, couldn't.

Reggie loved Philly, Norman Braman didn't love football, or the city, he loved money and that was it. He was cheap and let Reggie walk, can't blame him for that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kiltman


Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 14870
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said a case can be made....and I'm fine with it being retired.


It's tough though because Reggie died soon after he retired....I'm sure the relationship with Philadelphia would've been mended by now and he'd be around on occasion.....to me there was never closure. It largely wasn't his fault yes....but a lot of fans felt abandoned, might not be justified but it's there for some....a feeling that intensified once he won the Super Bowl in Green Bay and every time he's referred to as a Packer over being an Eagle.

If I retired a fourth number next to the other three his would definitely be it....and if asked to name the eagles Mt. Rushmore... Steve van Buren, Chuck Bednarik, Brian Dawkins, and Reggie White would be the four on it for me.
_________________

2013 Gold Standard Baldy Winner | The Final(?) ENBD Champion | other stuff too


Last edited by Kiltman on Tue May 14, 2013 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rememberthevet


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 1636
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Kilty, you realize Bednarik had a falling out with Lurie and openly rooted against the Eagles during the 03 Super Bowl? Now since then both he and Lurie have rectified the relationship, but he was far from an Eagle during that period.

Also, in 1991 the Eagles had arguably the greatest defense EVER for a single season, he was perhaps the biggest reason for that, and at the very least, and intregal part of that and it was a successful era given the lack of offense and ownership being completely inept. You really can't blame the "Be an Eagle" thing on him either, as Norman Braman never offered him a contract despite Reggie repeatedly saying he wanted to return. Ergo, 2 and 5 either were fufilled, or should have been, but due to circumstances out of his control, couldn't.

Reggie loved Philly, Norman Braman didn't love football, or the city, he loved money and that was it. He was cheap and let Reggie walk, can't blame him for that.

I don't blame Reggie for walking, he deserved to get paid, but he chose to retire as a Packer. He could have retired with any team he played for, and he chose the Packers.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phire


Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 49678
Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a year old when White left Philadelphia so I don't have any account if what happened first hand, I just do know that growing up as an Eagles fan he never got the same legacy treatment like the Bednariks, Van Beurens, Cunninghams, etc.
_________________
theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rememberthevet


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 1636
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
rememberthevet wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Kiltman wrote:
I'm all for shelving #5 next to #12 (though someone should be able to use that soon).....but not retiring it all together.

But I'm of the opinion that only #15, #20, and #60 should be retired

I get the arguments for the others, but those three players fit my criteria for it.

The rest should be in circulation....#92 would be another shelved one, but that would've been a good one to give to Fletcher last season as a badge of honor thing. The others enough time has pasted that they'd be worn.

My big hang up with Reggie is that he left...and is recognized as a Packers probably more than he is an Eagles. Dawk left because they low balled him....but he was still an Eagle and always will be like Chuck and SvB.

.
Reggie had more sacks with the Birds than the Pack, and wanted to stay, but our owner was a moron at the time. 92 absolutley should be retired.

99 almost had to be retred due to the circumstances. First off he was well on his way to a near hall of fame career with he Simmons and Reggie on that DL, he was putting up monster numbers, and was dominating every interior lineman he went up against. He was the Warren Sapp of his era, that good.

Why people would want to retire the number of a player who CHOSE to retire with another team is beyond me. I loved Reggie but that's ridiculous


Its not, he might be the greatest player to ever wear an Eagles uniform, that alone deserves to be retired. He also wanted to stay in Philly but our owner at the time was a cheap moron. Also Dawk went elsewhere so to say that is flat out dumb and blasphemy. Its not his fault he wasn't offered a contract to stay. Also he went into the hall as both an Eagle and Packer.

You are confused. Dawkins and White had very similar situations, both were basically pushed out of Philly by stupid FO decision makers. The difference is that Dawkins still retired as an Eagle. Reggie seemed fine with being remembered as a Packer, I'm sure he had his reasons, but he could have retired as an Eagle if he wanted to. That will always hurt...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr. Philly


Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 43683
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd retire 5.
_________________


simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies


#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EaglesFan5-36-81


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 14558
Location: Sky is the limit and Space is the place
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiltman wrote:
Like I said a case can be made....and I'm fine with it being retired.


It's tough though because Reggie died soon after he retired....I'm sure the relationship with Philadelphia would've been mended by now and he'd be around on occasion.....to me there was never closure. It largely wasn't his fault yes....but a lot of fans felt abandoned, might not be justified but it's there for some....a feeling that intensified once he won the Super Bowl in Green Bay and every time he's referred to as a Packer over being an Eagle.

If I retired a fourth number next to the other three his would definitely be it....and if asked to name the eagles Mt. Rushmore... Steve van Buren, Chuck Bednarik, Brian Dawkins, and Reggie White would be the four on it for me.


To me if the player has a truly legitimate case as a hall of famer and being on the teams "Mt Rushmore" so to speak, they deserve to have their number retired by said team.

I think "retiring" as part of a team is a bit overrated TBH.

Johnny Unitas disassociated himself with the Colts, Eric Dickerson played for what, 4 other teams and played as many years with the Colts as he did with the Rams, his production is greater with the Rams and his situation is similar with Reggie's. He's the best player in team history, with his most production with that team, ergo his number deserved to be retired.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group