Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 Reasons Why It's Hard To Be A Cowboys Fan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllI am saying is that if you simply get beat by a better team, there is no shame in that. There are no excuses. The other team was better, period.

But I have watched this team on numerous occasions beat themselves in big games. The opportunities were there. All they had to do was execute.

I mean the 2007, Patrick Crayton dropped pass and the route he stopped running were inexcusible for a game of that magnitude.

The same team a few years later came back from a 12 point deficit with only 5 minutes to play. Again, WR Miles Austin, for whatever reason did not run thru the play to convert a game sealing 3rd down.

The Redskins game last year, you just complete a 1st down to Witten and are moving the ball and the next play you heave some desperation pass that results in a game ending INT.

Just stupid mistakes year in and year out. And always, at the end of the season,there is Dallas in a "win and your in" situation and they always come up short.

I too have been a Cowboys fan since 1975, born in 1971, and I've lived thru the hardest of heartbreaks being from Philly with the 1980 NFC Championship game, The Catch the following year and then losing to, who else, the Redskins the year after that.

But I am still here pulling for them. And in all honesty, the last 10 years has been difficult.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
They are around .500 over the last 18 years, and until they can actually put together 2 or 3 years of being above average. Lets say making it to an NFC championship team then people other than Cowboy fans will actually take this team seriously. Because right now most of the national media thinks the Cowboys are a joke/circus.

You missed my point. Again.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
But I am still here pulling for them. And in all honesty, the last 10 years has been difficult.

Careful. Qualifying a time-table with just 10 years will led some members to be rather irate.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
buckwild wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
Somehow, I don't think Cleveland Browns fans would have any sympathy for us.

We have been spoiled for success. Which is part of the reason that has made the past decade and change so challenging.

Going on 18 years of mediocre which is a little more than decade and change.

Rolling Eyes

I swear some people love to nit-pick. But if you want to play this game (for whatever dumb reason) going 13-3 isn't mediocre.

But my original point - which I guess for some people I have to qualify to the extreme now - was that because of such Success Dallas has had in over 50 years, there is an expectation to win. Having such a extended period without sustain success has been draining.

Does that statement work for you now?

They are around .500 over the last 18 years, and until they can actually put together 2 or 3 years of being above average. Lets say making it to an NFC championship team then people other than Cowboy fans will actually take this team seriously. Because right now most of the national media thinks the Cowboys are a joke/circus.

I dont think you kn ow what above average or mediocre mean.

2-3 seasons of NFCC appearances isnt above average
2-3 seasons of 10+ wins is above average

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

Careful. Qualifying a time-table with just 10 years will led some members to be rather irate.

I hear you. But in light of what some have been posting, just look at what Brian Billick thinks of this team:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/brian-billick-post-draft-nfl-power-rankings-050713

I mean, he has Wash, Seattle and Indy, 3 teams that started rookie QB's last year ahead of us. He also believes we had a poor draft and did little to fix our problems.

I agree with only some of what he says but the point is this is how the Cowboys organization is viewed by many who have coached and won in this league.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember mid to late 2000s when we were paper champs every preseason amd how much it meant? Why is it any different now?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than a small handful of perennial powerhouse teams, what fan base can't say the same things about not winning enough? The 49er's are a great example. They've won the same number of Super Bowls as we have. But, they haven't won one since 1994. Do you here them bishing as much as Cowboy fans? No, seriously. I'm asking because I don't go to their forum and read their threads. Honestly, I don't care if they are bishing about not winning or if they are proclaiming Crappernick to be the next great QB.

The point is, every team's fanbase has something to complain about. There is nothing wrong with it. It is part of being a fan. I guaran-damn-tee you that, despite being the defending Super Bowl champs, there are Ravens fans who are not happy with Flacco's contract or how many people they lost to retirement/free agency. They have arguably the best GM in the league and they still had salary cap issues and lost a lot of their core players. No team is perfect and we shouldn't expect ours to be.

At the end of the day, football is just a game played by a bunch of overpaid men. We watch it for entertainment. Whether our team wins or loses should not effect our lives.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Other than a small handful of perennial powerhouse teams, what fan base can't say the same things about not winning enough? The 49er's are a great example. They've won the same number of Super Bowls as we have. But, they haven't won one since 1994. Do you here them bishing as much as Cowboy fans? No, seriously. I'm asking because I don't go to their forum and read their threads. Honestly, I don't care if they are bishing about not winning or if they are proclaiming Crappernick to be the next great QB.

The point is, every team's fanbase has something to complain about. There is nothing wrong with it. It is part of being a fan. I guaran-damn-tee you that, despite being the defending Super Bowl champs, there are Ravens fans who are not happy with Flacco's contract or how many people they lost to retirement/free agency. They have arguably the best GM in the league and they still had salary cap issues and lost a lot of their core players. No team is perfect and we shouldn't expect ours to be.

At the end of the day, football is just a game played by a bunch of overpaid men. We watch it for entertainment. Whether our team wins or loses should not effect our lives.

This is a good point. Actually, there have been a lot of Ravens fans that have been discouraged/upset by the off-season. Conversely, I don't think any team takes as much of a beating as we do for our lack of recent success.

The league is built were all teams are supposed to average 8-8 over time. Hopefully we are on the verge of breaking through that barrier and having some post season success.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:

Nicely stated, HT

But doesn't the beer go down easier, and somehow taste better when we are winning.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
htfryar

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
htfryar wrote:

Nicely stated, HT

But doesn't the beer go down easier, and somehow taste better when we are winning.

Not at all. Beer is good whether we win or lose. Losing might make you drink a few more of them though. Laughing

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
People can post whatever they want too, so long as it is within forum rules. A healthy debate on football related topics is what this site used to be about. I think that if we all just try a little bit, we can get this site back to that point, at least for the next 90 days or so.

People want to say that Jerry Jones is what is wrong with the Dallas Cowboys. I can see where they are coming from. He has made several bad decisions as Owner/GM. He's also had more success since taking over the team than anyone else.

1960-1988 under Clint Murchison/Bum Bright = 2 Super Bowl titles in 29 years
1989-present under Jerry Jones = 3 Super Bowl titles in 24 years

You don't have to like the man but it is hard to argue that overall, regardless of Jerry's many faults, he has been good for the Dallas Cowboys.

To be fair, the 1970s-early 1980s Cowboys went to 5 Super Bowls and numerous additional NFC Cahmpionship Games. We dominated that decade almost as much as the Steelers did.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
htfryar wrote:
People can post whatever they want too, so long as it is within forum rules. A healthy debate on football related topics is what this site used to be about. I think that if we all just try a little bit, we can get this site back to that point, at least for the next 90 days or so.

People want to say that Jerry Jones is what is wrong with the Dallas Cowboys. I can see where they are coming from. He has made several bad decisions as Owner/GM. He's also had more success since taking over the team than anyone else.

You don't have to like the man but it is hard to argue that overall, regardless of Jerry's many faults, he has been good for the Dallas Cowboys.

To be fair, the 1970s-early 1980s Cowboys went to 5 Super Bowls and numerous additional NFC Cahmpionship Games. We dominated that decade almost as much as the Steelers did.

Very well could have won 3 titles during that era as well.

^^^mack
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
htfryar wrote:

Still gotta kick Jackie Smith when he's down, huh? Laughing

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

Still gotta kick Jackie Smith when he's down, huh? Laughing

Of course! I mean, they were allowed to use stick 'em back then, right? Laughing

^^^mack
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all u Jerry Jones lovers should step back and take another look at the success he has had as an owner.

It all came when Jimmy Johnson put together the Super Bowl winning teams in the early 90's.

You Jerry Jones lovers must have been visiting an alien planet back then to think Jerry Jones had anything to do with those Super Bowl titles other than hiring Jimmy Johnson and writing the checks.

Since Jimmy was run off this team has been a complete disaster because of...to put it simply...Jerrys ego. Same goes for his son Stephen Jones. I had hopes when Jerry moves on...u know...that someone with passion for hiring the right people to do their jobs as General Managers and Coaches would get this team back to the promised land...but that person is not Stephen Jones. He is like his father and believes because he has money and power he knows how to draft and sign free agents and hire personnel.

The Dallas Cowboys will only move into elite status when someone turns on the light at the Jones Castle and they bring in FOOTBALL people to run this team like Jimmy Johnson did.

That is why it is so hard being a Dallas Cowboy fan these last 18 years.

Peace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: