Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hypothetical situation for next offseason...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Hypothetical situation for next offseason... Reply with quote

Lets say that the Rams have a great season. We go 11-5 and make the playoffs. Sam Bradford plays extremely well. The defense is looking great, led by Chris Long and Robert Quinn who each have 15 sacks. On the flipside, the Redskins lose RG3 and have other key injuries and finish the year 3-13.

We have a top 2-3 pick in the draft and can't trade back. Who do we take? Are we going to take one of the elite QB prospects even though Sam was great? Are we going to take DE Clowney even though both Long and Quinn were both elite?

I'm just curious, what would you do in this scenario? It seems like one of the QBs or Clowney are the obvious choice, but if we have elite players at those positions, who would you draft and why?

Clearly. I joined this site in 2005 to talk movies.
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully there is an OT who like the three taken high this year can play RT until Long either runs through his contract, or if he gets hurt continually is let go. Either that or the unlikely case of a FS, DT or even CB prospect just wows us.

But in all reality this looks like a great QB class and a trade partner should be easy to find.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things:

1-The likelihood that no one would want to trade up is just about Zero, at the worst you just take less than value but recoup something while staying in range to get your guy. Just look at the Raiders this year...

2-Even if RG3 were to be out the entire season, I dont think the Redskins will be a top 3 pick, because Kirk Cousins is good enough to be alright at QB for them. They could be a Top 10 pick, but to be Top 3 you have to be especially terrible at QB

But of some how this were to happen, it would be Louis Nix III or Stephon Tuitt, whomever you believe is the better Interior prospect. With also looking at Taylor Lewan to put at RT if nothing else.
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the others have said, I'd find it hard to if not impossible to think that that there wouldn't be a trade partner, even if it isn't for the QB's, there are franchise level LT's, Clowney, and plenty of talent at the top. I'm sure we'd get a nice trade down offer.

If not, we just take BPA regardless of position.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Rams were picking at this point in time and Clowney was on the board, I'd take him. Obviously things can change throughout the season though.

If he isn't, there will be some highly rated OT too which could end up being a need for us if Saffold isn't retained next year. Lewan had he came out this year could have went in the top 5. Jake Matthews is also another OT to watch and will replace Joeckel at LT for Texas A&M.

As said before though, if we were picking that high it be hard to imagine not finding one trade partner to go up and get their guy.
Jonezy

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You take Clowny

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
catcheryea

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything went perfectly and Quick and Pead both had good years and were showing improvement, then it would really depend on Saffold. If he resigns, we go BPA, or maybe a DT. If he leaves, we go with either Kouandjio or Lewan to play the right side until Long is done.

We wouldn't really have many more needs other than safety, but hopefully Clinton-Dix can drop down to our hypothetical spot in the 20s.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it stands right now-

1. Clowney
2. Lee
3. Lewan/Matthews
l3lind golfer

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this scenario is not likely to happen, one close to it can. The Rams could have a very nice year and make the postseason while the Redskins struggle (injured RG3 or whatever) giving us a very high draft pick.

But in my scenario, do we still take Clowney even though we have both Quinn and Long producing at potential pro bowl levels?

I like both Lee and Watkins as WRs (would rather have Watkins), but those guys don't fit what I think a top 3 WR should be. If you're not Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson or Julio Jones; I don't want a WR that high. And neither Lee or Watkins are that type of player.

STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
While this scenario is not likely to happen, one close to it can. The Rams could have a very nice year and make the postseason while the Redskins struggle (injured RG3 or whatever) giving us a very high draft pick.

But in my scenario, do we still take Clowney even though we have both Quinn and Long producing at potential pro bowl levels?

I like both Lee and Watkins as WRs (would rather have Watkins), but those guys don't fit what I think a top 3 WR should be. If you're not Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson or Julio Jones; I don't want a WR that high. And neither Lee or Watkins are that type of player.

For the bolded, If we couldn't find a trade partner to give us good value on a trade down, then yes we take him. No rule about having more than 2 pass rushers on the field and it would take some of the pressure off him coming in and having more time to develop. Just my opinion though.

Lee or Watkins both have a ton of athleticism, it depends how you play. Bruce and Holt never had an issue with their size in the NFL. A lot can happen with WR's stock throughout the college season.

Hopefully we won't be discussing top WR prospects as a Rams pick next year before the draft because of Austin, Bailey, Givens, and Quick all step up.
DerekBrink

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah how does this even make sense. Of course we don't take a QB if Sam looks like a franchise QB. Obviously we'd take Clowney or trade down.
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You take Clowney and you don't think twice about it.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generational Talent. Even if you have Quinn & Long, you take Clowney. It's that simple.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't envision a scenario in which we couldn't find a team to trade up for one of the top guys...

If Clowney and Bridgewater are as good as advertised, then they'll have no trouble. DE and QB are premium positions in which teams have no problem spending high picks on, especially one's of their talent potential...

IDOG_det on the sig...
l3lind golfer

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we'd have Clowney, Quinn and Long? Is there anyway that all three of them could play at the same time? I don't really see the point in one of those guys standing on the sidelines.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: