Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Can we afford to bring back Israel Idonije?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selkiesxx

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Can we afford to bring back Israel Idonije? Reply with quote

Obviously there hasn't been a ton of turnover in terms of guys we lost besides Urlacher, Roach, Moore, Davis (who cares?) and Idonije. Out of all those guys, I strongly believe we'll miss Izzy the most.

So what are the chances we can bring him back? He's still unsigned and was extremely productive and versatile. Do we have enough cap room to bring him back?

@BodamEscapePlan (Twitter)
BearsFanForever

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Can we afford to bring back Israel Idonije? Reply with quote

Selkiesxx wrote:
Obviously there hasn't been a ton of turnover in terms of guys we lost besides Urlacher, Roach, Moore, Davis (who cares?) and Idonije. Out of all those guys, I strongly believe we'll miss Izzy the most.

So what are the chances we can bring him back? He's still unsigned and was extremely productive and versatile. Do we have enough cap room to bring him back?

how much is he asking for?
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Can we afford to bring back Israel Idonije? Reply with quote

Selkiesxx wrote:

If he came back on his old deal I think we would still have the cap space to bring him in but I’m not sure he is part of the plan now…if he signed a 1 year deal to return which is most likely at this point it would mean him & Wootton would be hitting FA next season and it looks as if Peppers could be gone after this year unless he takes a pay cut which we can’t really ask him to do in good faith…so that would mean only McClellin & Washington would still be on the team and if you bring back Idonije he is going to eat into McClellin’s snaps a bit and could totally wipe out Washington’s snaps which would put us in a pretty weak position going into 2014.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Can we afford to bring back Israel Idonije? Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Selkiesxx wrote:

If he came back on his old deal I think we would still have the cap space to bring him in but I’m not sure he is part of the plan now…if he signed a 1 year deal to return which is most likely at this point it would mean him & Wootton would be hitting FA next season and it looks as if Peppers could be gone after this year unless he takes a pay cut which we can’t really ask him to do in good faith…so that would mean only McClellin & Washington would still be on the team and if you bring back Idonije he is going to eat into McClellin’s snaps a bit and could totally wipe out Washington’s snaps which would put us in a pretty weak position going into 2014.

I think you hit it right on the head MM. Short of a serious injury I don't see him back at this point unless it's to rotate in at DT (which wouldn't be a bad thing IMO). I'm surprised nobody else has picked him up though.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
G08

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can rotate Peppers and Washington with the DTs and be okay... I don't see him coming back unless it's on the cheap.

I'm curious to see what McClellin can do with more reps (and, God willing, with an offense that can provide substantial leads).

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
bkokot

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we afford to bring back Israel Idonije? Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Selkiesxx wrote:

I don't think we would let Wootton and Peppers go in the same offseason unless we were really under cap constraints.

However it sounds like we can probably expect a high round pick next draft to get used on DE. I see our biggest needs next offseason being DE, CB, C, and DT. Not necessarily in that order.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we afford to bring back Israel Idonije? Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Selkiesxx wrote:

Very well thought out response. I want Izzy back just due to the loyalty he has shown the organization, his versatility, production to cost ratio, and the fact he is a genuinely good-hearted individual. But from a business standpoint, you're dead on. I think an injury to a DE or a DT will result in us looking at him, but without that I doubt we sign him.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason to bring back Idonije?

Peppers/Wootton project as the starters with McClellin rotating in, and they have a bunch of guys on the roster who can serve as situational rushers.

Idonije has been a great high-effort player and a great guy for the city, but the Bears can get his level of production elsewhere.
RTD

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I am reading, we will have around 2 mil in cap space after we sign Long, so Izzy could be signed. But I agree with you guys that he would not be resigned as he would be taking snaps away from the young guys. The only place he may fit is at DT. In the past Trestman has favored defensive pressure up the middle and Collins is the 3rd rotational DT. So unless one of the rookies stands out it is a position of need.
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to write bring him back and have him work in at DT but when I think about it, why? even though the scheme should be similar we have a totally new DC, why not just get an ACTUAL DT??

This staff doesnt know Izzy at all, why try to fit him in at DT?

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
bkokot

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:
I was going to write bring him back and have him work in at DT but when I think about it, why? even though the scheme should be similar we have a totally new DC, why not just get an ACTUAL DT??

How many guys are left out there at the DT position that can come in and help us?
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're just going to hold on to the cap space in case someone gets injured, to be quite honest.

Adopted Bear: LB DJ Williams
Christmas List
Sack of Aaron Rodgers
Sack of Matthew Stafford
Tackle Adrian Peterson for loss

TFL: SACK: INT: FF: FR:
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkokot wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

How many guys are left out there at the DT position that can come in and help us?

I dont know, but might as well get a real one instead of converting a DE, haha, thats my whole point, Izzy doesnt know this staff, Izzy doesnt really know this scheme(like I said it will be close but its not the exact same), really if there is a DT out there who has worked with Mel Tucker before, that would be a better fit.

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
bkokot

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to SB Nation (not sure how reliable the source is) they are saying that Idonije has a standing offer from the Bears to return.

If this is true maybe he's trying to get more money from another team.

"Idonije is coming off a productive season, but hasn't drawn much interest on the open market. He visited the Titans following the draft and reportedly has a standing offer to return to Chicago. The 49ers have also shown interest and while he may not be able to fill a starting role, Idonije should help a team next season."

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/5/1/4287408/nfl-free-agents-best-players-available-dwight-freeney-brian-urlacher
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we afford to bring back Israel Idonije? Reply with quote

Selkiesxx wrote:

Washington is younger, more athletic, cheaper and just as versatile so Izzie looks gone to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: