Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rookie Mini Camp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andjordand wrote:
Does Anyone think that Havard Rugland has a chance of making the roster? I'm not too high on Akers, as he looked washed up last year. I'm cautiously optimistic that kickaliscious can learn the game well enough to be a solid kicker and be halfway decent this year, but not of the mindset that he'll have a Blair Walsh-type rookie season. I'd rather see Dave Rayner back, but at least Rugland, like Ansah, has some upside and room for improvement -unlike Akers, who at this point has a long way to go to reach where he was in Philly.

I think Martin is a better kicker than Rugland.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="detfan782004"][quote="andjordand"]Does Anyone think that Havard Rugland has a chance of making the roster? I'm not too high on Akers, as he looked washed up last year. I'm cautiously optimistic that kickaliscious can learn the game well enough to be a solid kicker and be halfway decent this year, but not of the mindset that he'll have a Blair Walsh-type rookie season. I'd rather see Dave Rayner back, but at least Rugland, like Ansah, has some upside and room for improvement -unlike Akers, who at this point has a long way to go to reach where he was in Philly.[/quote]

I think Martin is a better kicker than Rugland.[/quote]

Isn't Martin a Punter though?
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andjordand wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
andjordand wrote:
Does Anyone think that Havard Rugland has a chance of making the roster? I'm not too high on Akers, as he looked washed up last year. I'm cautiously optimistic that kickaliscious can learn the game well enough to be a solid kicker and be halfway decent this year, but not of the mindset that he'll have a Blair Walsh-type rookie season. I'd rather see Dave Rayner back, but at least Rugland, like Ansah, has some upside and room for improvement -unlike Akers, who at this point has a long way to go to reach where he was in Philly.

He kicked in college too. Not a large sample size but everything i saw looked great

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andjordand wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
andjordand wrote:

Martin Punts and does kick-offs. My bet is Akers wins the field-goal spot over Rugland, but I hope I'm wrong.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
andjordand wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
andjordand wrote:

Martin Punts and does kick-offs. My bet is Akers wins the field-goal spot over Rugland, but I hope I'm wrong.

He punts, does kickoffs and kicks field goals. I am not sure why every is dismissing his college FG experience right away

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=168538

Once named kicker he converted 70% and all but one PAT

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not risky to have you place kicker also taking snaps at punter? One late roughing the kicker on a blocked punt and we're out 2 starters and having Suh trying and missing from 30 yards out.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/4/28/4279456/2013-nfl-draft-sam-martin-lions-pick

Quote:
"I kicked off and kicked field goals in high school, never punted. When I got to college and competed my freshman year for a field goal spot and didn't win that job, I redshirted. So the end of my redshirt freshman year, our punter was going to graduate and they asked if I could punt the ball. So I started messing around the beginning of my redshirt freshman year and was hitting them pretty well

He went there as a kicker. He simply never got to do it until his senior year.

I am not saying he will be the kicker but the notion he is only a punter/kickoff guy is simply not entirely accurate

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/boxscore.asp?gamecode=201109170171&home=171&vis=363

Box score of him converting 50 plus FG

Last edited by detfan782004 on Sun May 12, 2013 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andjordand wrote:
Is it not risky to have you place kicker also taking snaps at punter? One late roughing the kicker on a blocked punt and we're out 2 starters and having Suh trying and missing from 30 yards out.

Risky sure but if you can fill all needs with one guy and open up a spot for extra DB or WR type its nice to think about.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he can return kicks too and open up 1 more spot for a rotational DT.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andjordand wrote:
Maybe he can return kicks too and open up 1 more spot for a rotational DT.

Using sarcasm to downplay a realistic option. Rolling Eyes

I am not saying he will be kicker but fact is he took over kicking around end of Oct for App St and did good.

Ended year converting last 5 to finish 7 f0r 10. Some were chip shots but couple nice long ones too

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
andjordand wrote:

Risky sure but if you can fill all needs with one guy and open up a spot for extra DB or WR type its nice to think about.
I agree and my way of thinkn. I'm not happy about the fg situation anyway.
nagahide13

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
I am not saying he will be kicker but fact is he took over kicking around end of Oct for App St and did good.

I just don't think he has much of a chance of being our kicker. I actually just don't think our regular kicker is on our roster right now...

I have a gut feeling that Akers will start off well, but will fall apart in a hurry... something like he's perfect through 5 games, then single handedly blows 2 games for us and is dropped.

No backup, no evidence, no argument. I just think Martin will start out punting exclusively, then be moved to kickoffs as well... but outside of injury I don't think he'll ever kick a FG. And I think Akers doesn't last a year here.

Maybe it's just the Lions fan in me to expect the bad.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

I just don't think he has much of a chance of being our kicker. I actually just don't think our regular kicker is on our roster right now...

I have a gut feeling that Akers will start off well, but will fall apart in a hurry... something like he's perfect through 5 games, then single handedly blows 2 games for us and is dropped.

No backup, no evidence, no argument. I just think Martin will start out punting exclusively, then be moved to kickoffs as well... but outside of injury I don't think he'll ever kick a FG. And I think Akers doesn't last a year here.

Like I said I am not saying he will be but I wont rule out the chance. I just hate people saying he was not a placekicker because it is absolutely false.

He went to college as such and switched to punter and finished as a kicker too

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Like I said I am not saying he will be but I wont rule out the chance. I just hate people saying he was not a placekicker because it is absolutely false.

I agree with this. I kind of hope to get either Derek Dimke or Nick Folk from the Jets, depending on who loses this battle. Per a comment on this story: http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/05/detroit_lions_havard_rugland_t.html#comments -it looks like Rugland can be kept as a 9th practice squad player that cannot be taken by another team for up to 3 seasons, due to a special rule within the new CBA to encourage teams to sign international players.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andjordand wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

I agree with this. I kind of hope to get either Derek Dimke or Nick Folk from the Jets, depending on who loses this battle. Per a comment on this story: http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/05/detroit_lions_havard_rugland_t.html#comments -it looks like Rugland can be kept as a 9th practice squad player that cannot be taken by another team for up to 3 seasons, due to a special rule within the new CBA to encourage teams to sign international players.

That is a GOOD find! Did not know about the practice squad thing for 3 years. I think I would place someone different though. Someone like Reddick or Fuller.

More of a playmaker type

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: