Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rookie Mini Camp
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Rookie Mini Camp Reply with quote

Today was the first day of rookie camps. Here is some info

Roster:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130510/SPORTS0101/305100426/1361/Complete-Detroit-Lions-rookie-minicamp-roster

Ansah interview after:
http://www.detroitlions.com/media-center/videos/Ziggy-Ansah-on-day-one-of-rookie-mini-camp/5752b7e7-1607-4a52-a2ec-436b74825ffd

Schwartz Video:
http://www.detroitlions.com/media-center/videos/Jim-Schwartz-on-first-practice-of-rookie-mini-camp/c55c06c8-fdbe-4dd6-9080-a342d69b78fa

Ansah article:
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Ziggy-Ansah-shows-the-kind-of-athleticism-that-made-him-a-high-pick/05a2e19d-01f7-4dcd-8f2a-6e238ee61b69

Quote:
Washburn had a small, bouncy ball in one hand and a board on the ground. When he released the ball, the players had to burst out of their three-point stance and snatch the ball out of midair before it bounced on the board a second time.

Ansah made the drill look easy until Washburn made them start farther and farther back. He's got that kind of explosiveness.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeAndre McDaniel is getting a tryout. Interesting because he was considered a 2nd-4th round pick when he came out
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
DeAndre McDaniel is getting a tryout. Interesting because he was considered a 2nd-4th round pick when he came out

Yeah, he fell like a rock. Would be interesting to see what he can do.

I'm kind of shocked Greenwood isn't at this camp. I know it's a rookie camp but with all the time he missed, it seems like they would have had him there. Messina is there in his second year.

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

I'm kind of shocked Greenwood isn't at this camp. I know it's a rookie camp but with all the time he missed, it seems like they would have had him there. Messina is there in his second year.

Messina was a practice squad guy, they go to rookie mini camps. Second year drafted players don't usually, unless they miss theirs the year prior.
ironduke

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Messina was a practice squad guy, they go to rookie mini camps. Second year drafted players don't usually, unless they miss theirs the year prior.

Being on the Pup list is probably considered to be on the roster. He was eligible to be active and under contract. The practice squad is just a salaried job that technically isn't a part of the team.
dmudd

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:

I liked him. What was it that caused him to drop like a stone? Character issues?
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Larry Warford had to be helped off the practice field today with an apparent left arm injury. He did not return.

[inappropriate/removed]

Hoping it's nothing serious Sad

UPDATE:

THANK GOODNESS

Quote:
Dave Birkett
‏@davebirkett
Lions coach Jim Schwartz said Warford did not hurt his shoulder, caught an elbow that hurt, nothing significant

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
bgood21

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://photos.mlive.com/detroit/2013/05/detroit_lions_2013_rookie_mini_8.html

I really hope these two can be like dwighty freeney (11, 2002) and robert mathis (138 , 2003).

If they can even come close, this defensive line could be really special.[/img]
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgood21 wrote:
http://photos.mlive.com/detroit/2013/05/detroit_lions_2013_rookie_mini_8.html

I really hope these two can be like dwighty freeney (11, 2002) and robert mathis (138 , 2003).

If they can even come close, this defensive line could be really special.[/img]

Wishing for the sky huh?

I hope they are adequate. Anything else is a bonus. Do not want to place those lofty expectations on the duo as likely a letdown

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
1King

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmudd wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

I liked him. What was it that caused him to drop like a stone? Character issues?

Unless I am confusing him with someone else (which is possible, but I dont think I am), yes that was the reason or at least one of them.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1King wrote:
dmudd wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Unless I am confusing him with someone else (which is possible, but I dont think I am), yes that was the reason or at least one of them.

He did push his girlfriend down a flight of stairs so yea... there's that.
Hahaha. This team does not belong here
Mods, take care of this troll or I will.

Hold on mods. I wanna see where this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article about Sam Martin, not really about camp but no better place for it.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130512/SPORTS01/305120109/detroit-lions-rookie-minicamp-sam-martin

Quote:
“I said, ‘Hey man, would you mind hitting a couple balls for me? I heard some urban legends about you,’” Orner recalled. “He said, ‘Sure, I’ll do a demo.’ He was cold, he hadn’t swung his leg or anything and he just jumped up and he corked off like a 65-yard punt and I was like, ‘Ooo-kay.’ And then when I saw him kick off, I was like, ‘Holy... .’”

Quote:
“Some of the workouts he kicked 100 balls, some of the workouts he kicked five balls,” Orner said. “Like I know for the Eagles, he kicked five balls and the guy was like, ‘Hey, if you’re around, we’ll draft you but you’re going to have a great career.’ He hit two kickoffs and the guy was like, ‘This is better than we have right now.’ He put two kickoffs out of the back of the end zone, the guy was like, after he flew from Philly to watch him kick seven balls, was like, ‘I’m good.’”

Kicking it out of the end zone would do wonders for our special teams. I'm actually really excited to see what this kid can do for us.

Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Lions-dont-seem-concerned-with-Larry-Warford-injury/bc677a06-463d-421a-9141-b1c6f5ff5992

Article saying they don't think Warfords injury is serious as well as saying Slay took part in warm ups and has been spending a lot of time with Gunny.

IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited about Sam Martin. There's a video of him consistently getting 55+ yards with like 4-5 seconds of hang time.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
andjordand

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Anyone think that Havard Rugland has a chance of making the roster? I'm not too high on Akers, as he looked washed up last year. I'm cautiously optimistic that kickaliscious can learn the game well enough to be a solid kicker and be halfway decent this year, but not of the mindset that he'll have a Blair Walsh-type rookie season. I'd rather see Dave Rayner back, but at least Rugland, like Ansah, has some upside and room for improvement -unlike Akers, who at this point has a long way to go to reach where he was in Philly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: