Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

June 1st: Freeney Sweepstakes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Stafford's and Suh's cap hits are undeniably higher than what they would've been because of restructuring. Then we have dead cap from restructuring guys like Nate, Dom, and Backus. You don't see any of that in either Tampa, Jacksonville, or Miami, who all had a ton to spend this off-season.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
But Stafford's and Suh's cap hits are undeniably higher than what they would've been because of restructuring. Then we have dead cap from restructuring guys like Nate, Dom, and Backus. You don't see any of that in either Tampa, Jacksonville, or Miami, who all had a ton to spend this off-season.

Im not too jealous of any of those teams.
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

Tampa is in great shape. Hopefully we turn this thing around this season, but another like last year and we're likely to blow this thing up.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

Tampa is in great shape. Hopefully we turn this thing around this season, but another like last year and we're likely to blow this thing up.

I would still rather have our team than theirs. Their cap situation only looks like that after years and years of being cheap but now they are forced to spend. We still have the better team and our restructures are just a sign of our management trying every Avenue to make it better whereas Tampa hasn't ever been about spending money and trying to contend until when teams were forced to.
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the visit with San Diego going well, Freeney left without a contract. Freeney's father believes the scheme is a problem. He believes Freeney will likely end up with either Detroit, Tennessee, or N.E.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/5/17/4340382/dwight-freeney-free-agent-chargers
ManeLine

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Despite the visit with San Diego going well, Freeney left without a contract. Freeney's father believes the scheme is a problem. He believes Freeney will likely end up with either Detroit, Tennessee, or N.E.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/5/17/4340382/dwight-freeney-free-agent-chargers

Hopefully NE signs Abraham so we can swoop in and get Freeney. I think we're a better fit than Tennessee. I think we're the better team, great scheme fit for Freeney and we can meet his contract demands if we do a restructure or two. (looking for Osi money last I saw)

Edit: Someone explain the importance of June 1st?

Smack

Adopt A Lion - Ryan Broyles
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManeLine wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

Hopefully NE signs Abraham so we can swoop in and get Freeney. I think we're a better fit than Tennessee. I think we're the better team, great scheme fit for Freeney and we can meet his contract demands if we do a restructure or two. (looking for Osi money last I saw)

Quote:
In transitions, if a player retires, is traded, or is cut before June 1, all remaining bonus is applied to the salary cap for the current season. If the payroll change occurs after June 1, the current season's bonus proration is unchanged, and the next year's cap must absorb the entire remaining bonus.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap
Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/335729662649057280

Looks like hes going to San Diego Sad
Hahaha. This team does not belong here
Mods, take care of this troll or I will.

Hold on mods. I wanna see where this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stylish313

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroitlions703 wrote:
http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/335729662649057280

Looks like hes going to San Diego Sad
That freaking sucks. Nobody else out there I'd consider a game-changer. Could look towards a couple older but less talented vets in Abraham and Eric Winston, but we might just be better off keeping it cheap and young. Leaving financial flexibility for next season.
ManeLine

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
ManeLine wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

Quote:
In transitions, if a player retires, is traded, or is cut before June 1, all remaining bonus is applied to the salary cap for the current season. If the payroll change occurs after June 1, the current season's bonus proration is unchanged, and the next year's cap must absorb the entire remaining bonus.

Thanks.

I don't understand why Freeney would pick SD. He didn't have success in a 3-4 defense last season...

What about Charles Woodson? We all know Delmas will go down so he'd be good insurance and he can still play a little corner imo. Use him all over like GB did.

Smack

Adopt A Lion - Ryan Broyles
Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManeLine wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
ManeLine wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

Quote:

Thanks.

I don't understand why Freeney would pick SD. He didn't have success in a 3-4 defense last season...

What about Charles Woodson? We all know Delmas will go down so he'd be good insurance and he can still play a little corner imo. Use him all over like GB did.

One word for both your answers: MONEY
Hahaha. This team does not belong here
Mods, take care of this troll or I will.

Hold on mods. I wanna see where this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stylish313

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroitlions703 wrote:
ManeLine wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
ManeLine wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

Quote:

Thanks.

One word for both your answers: MONEY
I don't know, impatience seems to fit Freeney more likely. SD didn't have that much more cap space than us, and Detroit could've easily freed up a bunch more a little later. I think the guarantee of plenty of playing time enticed him, plus the money is right there in his face.

I'd love to bring in Woodson, but at a 1 year cheap contract and I don't know if that's enough to land him, especially since he'd be in a reserve role with no promised playing time(Bentley should be our top option in the slot).
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article yesterday that quoted Woodson saying that hed play for Detroit if the money was right.
andjordand

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Israel Idonije? He's a great run defender and he's got the length to push the pocket towards Fairley/Suh and the strenght to anchor against the run. It's just a suspicion, but I think that his similar life's journey Cameroon -> Manitoba -> Cleveland/Chicago ~ Ghana -> Idaho -> Detroit could help Ansah adjust to the NFL. I personally think that they need a better DL rotation than what is currently available. I'd love to see Ansah saved for Nickel/Pass situations like Aldon Smith was during his rookie year.

1st/2nd down(Base 4-3): Jones/Taylor - Suh - Fairley/Mosley - Idonije/Ansah

3rd/4th down (wide-9): Young/Taylor - Suh/Idonije - Fairley/Jones - Ansah/Lewis?

That would make a deep DL rotation, giving Suh and Fairley plenty of rest for the end of games (even against passing teams as both Jones and Idonije can slide inside). I think Idonije can fill the hole left by Lawrence Jackson's departure until Taylor/Ansah are ready for starting roles as first-year players. The Lions need a veteran presence and vocal leader on the DL -Nick Fairley is poised to become the 'leader' of this group at season's end, but for the first few weeks, they need someone to come in and give this young DL some direction and guidance.
stylish313

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
I read an article yesterday that quoted Woodson saying that hed play for Detroit if the money was right.
Yeah but why would the money be right if we merely only need reserve depth?

I'd love to bring him in, but I wonder what his asking price is? Must be a decent amount, considering he was scheduled to earn $9M and it seems teams are steering clear of the former DPOY.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: