Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

June 1st: Freeney Sweepstakes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it would require a restructure, especially if it is a multi year deal (2-3). We have Bartell on the books for 1 mil. He can be released. Wendling is the same. Also Osgood/Robiskie will likely have to be cut since I don't see us keeping 6 WRs. If it means bringing in Freeny I am definitely ok losing those guys. We could also extend Scheffler or Grew to make cap space.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extending Grew or Scheffler would be a pretty good move IMO. Both are FA's next year, so it'd be good to make sure we'll have at least one of them for a few years.

CWood21 wrote:
This anti-Teddy crap is getting out of hand.

R.I.P. Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Extending Grew or Scheffler would be a pretty good move IMO. Both are FA's next year, so it'd be good to make sure we'll have at least one of them for a few years.
Neither are worth what they're being paid right now.
DetroitPride26

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Yeah I am hoping Williams and Fauria take over both of them and we draft another TE late next year...I feel they were reason Offense couldn't do what they wanted too as well.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitPride26 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Yeah I am hoping Williams and Fauria take over both of them and we draft another TE late next year...I feel they were reason Offense couldn't do what they wanted too as well.

I think hoping a 7th rounder and UDFA supplant our top two TEs is a bit hopeful. I don't think either are worth what they are getting, but that's the point of extending. If either are willing to take cuts in place of longer term security, than do it. Scheffler is a good backup TE, especially for our system. If we can get him for 1.5 for a couple years than great.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
lions on top

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitPride26 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

I agree both can take over but I think we'd need to draft TE pretty early next year. Fauria is basically Sheffler and Williams, Heller so that's not replacing the start Pettigrew who could realistically be replaced already by a higher draft pick. I think a nice first or second round TE could do wonders for this offense.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like Freeney is visiting SD after Melvin Ingram has been declared out with a torn ACL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000202009/article/dwight-freeney-to-visit-san-diego-chargers
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andjordand wrote:
It sounds like Freeney is visiting SD after Melvin Ingram has been declared out with a torn ACL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000202009/article/dwight-freeney-to-visit-san-diego-chargers
Yeah, they may screw us. According to sportrac, SD has $6+M and Detroit has $3+M, so they could sign him right now without any roster moves.

Just gotta hope he's looking to get back into 4-3 defense, and teams such as Jacksonville($27M), Tampa ($19M), and Tennessee ($7M) don't make him an offer we can't compete with.

Wow, look at the money Jacksonville and Tampa still have Shocked
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
andjordand wrote:

Yeah, they may screw us. According to sportrac, SD has $6+M and Detroit has $3+M, so they could sign him right now without any roster moves.

Just gotta hope he's looking to get back into 4-3 defense, and teams such as Jacksonville($27M), Tampa ($19M), and Tennessee ($7M) don't make him an offer we can't compete with.

Tampa surprises me. They spent a TON in free agency last year and just acquired Revis. How can they have that kind of space?

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
andjordand wrote:

Tampa surprises me. They spent a TON in free agency last year and just acquired Revis. How can they have that kind of space?
Because they have $11M in rollover and cap adjustments. They also only have $1.4M in dead cap, whereas a team like the Lions have $7.5M in dead cap.

That's what happens when you continually restructure your players vs. managing your cap responsibly.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
andjordand wrote:

Because they have $11M in rollover and cap adjustments. They also only have $1.4M in dead cap, whereas a team like the Lions have $7.5M in dead cap.

That's what happens when you continually restructure your players vs. managing your cap responsibly.
Not true. Denver doesn't have any guaranteed money in salaries from what I have heard. They never give out signing bonuses and such. Yet they had to cut their second best defensive player because of lack of cap.

TB has a QB on a rookie salary that was a mid round pick. That is one thing. Stafford is making like 12M/year more than Freeman. CJ is making 6M-8M/year more than their #1 WR. That is almost 20M in 2 positions. Then add in we have 6M more in dead cap and you see nearly 30M we would have if we were in their shoes.

Sig bet
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
andjordand wrote:

Not true. Denver doesn't have any guaranteed money in salaries from what I have heard. They never give out signing bonuses and such. Yet they had to cut their second best defensive player because of lack of cap.

TB has a QB on a rookie salary that was a mid round pick. That is one thing. Stafford is making like 12M/year more than Freeman. CJ is making 6M-8M/year more than their #1 WR. That is almost 20M in 2 positions. Then add in we have 6M more in dead cap and you see nearly 30M we would have if we were in their shoes.

Freeman was a first round pick.
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
andjordand wrote:

Detroit's top #4 cap hits are worth around $44M. Tampa's top #4 are worth around $45M.

Stafford- $20.8
Calvin- $10.5
Suh- $8.7
Tulloch- $4.8

Revis- $16.0
McCoy- $10.9
Freeman- $9.7
Gholdson- $9.0

It's the rest of the salaries, restructures, and dead money from past practices that creates the difference in available cap. Also, who cares about Denver?
nagahide13

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tampa also signed Wright to a stupid contract, then had it voided because of his behavior... So there's some of it.
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
Tampa also signed Wright to a stupid contract, then had it voided because of his behavior... So there's some of it.
True, but that would still leave them with $10M+ in cap to steal Freeney from us, if they even want to.

I don't remember the rules about spending to the salary floor, and whether it's taken effect yet, but both Tampa and Jacksonville could bide their time and reserve their cap space for future signings. Worked out well for Tampa this off-season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: