Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

June 1st: Freeney Sweepstakes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: June 1st: Freeney Sweepstakes Reply with quote

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/5/10/4320322/lions-rumors-dwight-freeney
Ian Rapoport ✔
Quote:
Teams who've shown interest in Freeney: Broncos, Titans, DET. For some, June 1 could be big when money comes off the books if Freeney waits

This is what we're all waiting for. Stafford's deal must get done by then. With all of our rookies signed, it's time for Leywand to switch gears and go full-throttle on Stafford's re-signing.

LDE: Freeney, R. Lewis
DT: Suh, Mosley
DT: Fairley, Jones
RDE: Ansah, Jones, Taylor

Seriously, that's something to get excited about. I mean, you could literally slice my veins at dinner time and fill a cup of blue koolaid. Freeney would make us a legitimate playoff contender, with the opportunity to go all the way if we get hot at the end.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously think this signing would be huge. Our DE situation is dire, despite the rainbow/unicorn spewed babble being thrown around by some.
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think Freeney's playing style would help Ronnell more than anyone else on our roster. Same build, Ronnell just really needs to learn some pass rushing moves and how to play with his hand in the dirt.

Ansah could definitely learn a thing or two as well, especially that patented spin move of Freeney's.

Last edited by stylish313 on Fri May 10, 2013 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang this post was right above the Ansah has signed post, got my hopes up big time Laughing

come on Dwight do whats right, come here buddy!
Hahaha. This team does not belong here
Mods, take care of this troll or I will.

Hold on mods. I wanna see where this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lions on top

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at his stats, obviously he's in decline, but I am struggling to see how it's humanly possible to get 12 total tackles as a starting outside linebacker on a year you played in 14 games and had the 4th most snaps on the team... Not saying he sucks now, it's just seriously perplexing to me. You should basically fall into 30 tackles as a linebacker even if you are just constantly rushing the QB. That being said I'd still love to bring him in, maybe he could teach Ansah that nasty spin move he perfected.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lions on top wrote:
I just looked at his stats, obviously he's in decline, but I am struggling to see how it's humanly possible to get 12 total tackles as a starting outside linebacker on a year you played in 14 games and had the 4th most snaps on the team... Not saying he sucks now, it's just seriously perplexing to me. You should basically fall into 30 tackles as a linebacker even if you are just constantly rushing the QB. That being said I'd still love to bring him in, maybe he could teach Ansah that nasty spin move he perfected.
Well he's always played with his hand in the dirt, so for an elite player switching positions at the age of 32, mentally it must've been deflating and he may have resisted it subconsciously.

Still, in 2012, he had 34 QB hurries and 9 QB hits. That's a lot of pressure, and I admit I didn't watch a lot of Indy, but I'd assume he was still the focal point of opposing offenses attention. Just imagine him on our DL, where it'll be impossible for opposing offenses to focus on him. If Ansah can't thrive in that situation, then we all know right from the start he'll be a bust.

Signing Freeney not only adds a legit threat at defensive end, it's protecting your investment in Ansah and Ronnell- who should both benefit training under he and Washburn's tutelage.
lions on top

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
lions on top wrote:
Well he's always played with his hand in the dirt, so for an elite player switching positions at the age of 32, mentally it must've been deflating and he may have resisted it subconsciously.

Still, in 2012, he had 34 QB hurries and 9 QB hits. That's a lot of pressure, and I admit I didn't watch a lot of Indy, but I'd assume he was still the focal point of opposing offenses attention. Just imagine him on our DL, where it'll be impossible for opposing offenses to focus on him. If Ansah can't thrive in that situation, then we all know right from the start he'll be a bust.

Signing Freeney not only adds a legit threat at defensive end, it's protecting your investment in Ansah and Ronnell- who should both benefit training under he and Washburn's tutelage.

Yeah, that's why I'd be all for adding him. He can still pressure a QB and be a good leader. I also would like for it to allow Jason Jones to play inside more because I've always heard he's a much better DT than DE even at 280. I just thought it was odd, seems like you could lay on the ground and get 20 tackles over 14 games with guys tripping over you...

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lions on top wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
lions on top wrote:

Yeah, that's why I'd be all for adding him. He can still pressure a QB and be a good leader. I also would like for it to allow Jason Jones to play inside more because I've always heard he's a much better DT than DE even at 280. I just thought it was odd, seems like you could lay on the ground and get 20 tackles over 14 games with guys tripping over you...
It is odd, but he is amongst the league leaders in QB hurries and hits- and that was with him playing out of position.

Gotta have him. Would be like the Tigers getting V-Mart in 2011.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, this would be our best signing this offseason. Sign Freeney coupled with the Ansah pick. I like it. We know what we have in Freeney, and Ansah COULD go off the charts or be a bust. But if he isn't a bust Lions will have one seriously tough D-line to handle.
studdogs

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: June 1st: Freeney Sweepstakes Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Ian Rapoport ✔
Quote:
Teams who've shown interest in Freeney: Broncos, Titans, DET. For some, June 1 could be big when money comes off the books if Freeney waits

This is what we're all waiting for. Stafford's deal must get done by then. With all of our rookies signed, it's time for Leywand to switch gears and go full-throttle on Stafford's re-signing.

Seriously, that's something to get excited about. I mean, you could literally slice my veins at dinner time and fill a cup of blue koolaid. Freeney would make us a legitimate playoff contender, with the opportunity to go all the way if we get hot at the end.

tough to put on name on that d-line...dang
studdogs

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: June 1st: Freeney Sweepstakes Reply with quote

studdogs wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
Ian Rapoport ✔
Quote:

tough to put a name on that d-line...dang
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: June 1st: Freeney Sweepstakes Reply with quote

studdogs wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
Ian Rapoport ✔
Quote:

tough to put on name on that d-line...dang
You mean a nickname?

Yeah, that'll be a fun time coming up with one for that nasty crew.
RIP CITY

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta admit, even I'm starting to think there is a chance Freeney comes here. Still won't believe it until it happens but it's starting to look slightly more likely. Last I heard he's possibly lining up meetings for this week with 3-5 teams, if he visits they can't let him walk out the door without a contract.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP CITY wrote:
I gotta admit, even I'm starting to think there is a chance Freeney comes here. Still won't believe it until it happens but it's starting to look slightly more likely. Last I heard he's possibly lining up meetings for this week with 3-5 teams, if he visits they can't let him walk out the door without a contract.
We currently don't have the cash, it'll take a Stafford extension first.
RIP CITY

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
We currently don't have the cash, it'll take a Stafford extension first.

Yes I know, but seeing as they've supposedly been in contact with Freeney's agent and there are reports they are one of the most interested teams, I have to assume they are confident they can get something done with Stafford in time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: