Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rookie mini camp tidbits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
There is nothing wrong about being excited about the rookies. You just have to have realistic expectations about them. Early on, people were saying J.J. Wilcox would challenge for a starting spot. The truth of the matter is that he is a very raw player from a small school. That is pretty much the definition of a project. There is nothing wrong with being excited, but be realistic with your expectations.

Not calling you out HT, agree with you and just nitpicking here.

I think he still challenges. I know that's just semantics but it is true. He's an athlete, smart, works hard and that alone is enough to push everyone around him. No, I don't think he is polished enough to start or even play outside of special teams, but there is no doubt he pushes everyone in front of him, to try and stay in front of him as camp and the year goes on.

I HATED the Akwasi pick, was one of the few trying to quell the hype. This kid at-least understand the sport and they didn't make up a position for him so he had no true duties on the field.

I also question Church's fit in the Tampa 2, and if Matt Johnson can stay on the field. I don't expect him to be an all star, but I think Will Allen become an under rated signing and that UDFA Hamilton makes the cut above McCray for having actual S skill and not just ST skill which we'll get form Wilcox till he is ready.

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSTE92 wrote:
I think Webb spells the end for Scandrick. I loved Webb but saw no way we'd get him, but the value was there. I'l NEVER be upset about having too many good players at CB. Besides WR it is one of the hardest positions to scout and fill correctly.

I think he ends up having an impact this year. Maybe the second most after Frederick.

Let's not be hasty. Scandrick is one of the few DBs on the curret roster who actually fits the new cover 2 style better than they did the old coverage system - not that the others ar bad fits, Scandrick just fits this one that much better.

I actually expect a standout, break through of a season from Scandrick this year.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
canadaluvsdalla

Location: I state my opinion. You Listen. I won't change my stance.
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
SHSTE92 wrote:
I think Webb spells the end for Scandrick. I loved Webb but saw no way we'd get him, but the value was there. I'l NEVER be upset about having too many good players at CB. Besides WR it is one of the hardest positions to scout and fill correctly.

I think he ends up having an impact this year. Maybe the second most after Frederick.

Let's not be hasty. Scandrick is one of the few DBs on the curret roster who actually fits the new cover 2 style better than they did the old coverage system - not that the others ar bad fits, Scandrick just fits this one that much better.

I actually expect a standout, break through of a season from Scandrick this year.

Guys got no heart. How can you expect something outta a guy with no heart?

Dirk Gently on 2012 Cowboys O-line wrote:
I think last year we gave up pressure to 3 jewish ladies from brooklyn.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Matt Johnson from a small school too? Interested why he is getting a pass.

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
SHSTE92 wrote:

I dont think it makes sense $ wise to have him around with Webb.

cowboys_50

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scandrick also has rock hands and is a poor tackler.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
Isn't Matt Johnson from a small school too? Interested why he is getting a pass.
Because he played-- and dominated-- the position for 4 years (well, 3.2), albeit against lower level competition.
canadaluvsdalla

Location: I state my opinion. You Listen. I won't change my stance.
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
DaBoys wrote:
Because he played-- and dominated-- the position for 4 years (well, 3.2), albeit against lower level competition.

But the thing about him is his tape was consistent in college no matter who he played. Whether it was the Washington Huskies or lil ol Western Washington.

Dirk Gently on 2012 Cowboys O-line wrote:
I think last year we gave up pressure to 3 jewish ladies from brooklyn.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
DaBoys wrote:

But the thing about him is his tape was consistent in college no matter who he played. Whether it was the Washington Huskies or lil ol Western Washington.

Didn't Georgia southern play fairly well against the tide last year? Also the fact wilcox dominated the senior Bowl? I'm sorry but Johnson and Wilcox have played the same amount of snaps in the only league that matters. They are even in my mind. I don't think two extra years of small school safety separates them that much.

Matts4313 wrote:

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
canadaluvsdalla wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
DaBoys wrote:

Didn't Georgia southern play fairly well against the tide last year? Also the fact wilcox dominated the senior Bowl? I'm sorry but Johnson and Wilcox have played the same amount of snaps in the only league that matters. They are even in my mind. I don't think two extra years of small school safety separates them that much.

Bigger key is that Wilcox has played 1 year of safety. Johnson played 4 in college alone.

WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
10. Jakar Hamilton may have impressed the most of all UDFAs. Muted whispers of "Brock Marion" echoed across our virtual offices BTB headquarters all weekend. Look him up if you don't know who that is.

Lofty, but how awesome would that be.

Quote:
14. Jerry Jones continues to march to the beat of his own drummer. Apparently, Jones considered calling Cowboys Stadium "Vaqueros de Dallas Stadium" (that would be Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Spanish).

Dallas Cowboys Rookie Minicamp Recap: 15 Things We Learned

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
DaBoys

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSTE92 wrote:
DaBoys wrote:
canadaluvsdalla wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
DaBoys wrote:

Bigger key is that Wilcox has played 1 year of safety. Johnson played 4 in college alone.

The word alone is the key there.

Matts4313 wrote:

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
matt79511

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
SHSTE92 wrote:

Where do you get this from? I've never heard anything bad about Scandrick on an intangible level.

People are too bitter about that 4th quarter in Atlanta. Scandrick was great last year apart from that.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the time of year for every fan of every team to be optimistic about the guys in rookie camp. That being said I am tempering my enthusiasm regarding Wilcox. He looks good right now and we may have found something, but it will be a much different story for this player at full speed with pads on. Nothing against him but he played the safety position for one year at a small college level. I expect the lights to be out more often than they are on for him at this stage of his development. And there is nothing wrong with that.

I am more concerned about Williams with the initial reports of drops and issues route running.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often wonder if owners push their coaches to speak exuberantly about a rookie or two this early, just to push interest in the team. You never hear a coach saying, "I'm really worried about this guy. He's not what we thought he was." I'll save my excitement for preseason games, and seeing how they do then.

Last edited by GeneralDissaray on Tue May 14, 2013 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: