Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rookie mini camp tidbits
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigtec8700

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Rookie mini camp tidbits Reply with quote

Broaddus: Webb, Escobar Stand Out At Rookie Camp

http://m.dallascowboys.com/s/30667/newsDetails?itemPos=3&itemUri=-807327654%2F512154614152611087495412142
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez

Quote:
Gil Brandt checking out some rookie minicamp, too. Just told us Frederick would be the heaviest starting center in the league next year.

Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 2m

Quote:
Watching OL drills looks like they hard taking some hard zone steps. New OL coach Pollock is coaching the drill. Callahan watching.

Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 4m

Quote:
Kendial Lawrence not disappointing with the quick moves. Not bad

Quote:

JJ Wilcox forced a fumble on BJ Stewart after ripping the ball free. Coaches pleased

Brad Sham ‏@Boys_Vox 5m
Quote:
Rave 1st morning staff reviews for cb B.W. Webb

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The news about Webb is encouraging and frustrating at the same time.

On one hand you seem to have the makings of a valuable nickel or back up CB should Carr or Claiborne go down.

On the other hand it is a position that, in my opinion, we way over paid for and are STILL drafting at that position (CB) while at the same time we are still uncertain at the OG and DL positions. We could have tried for more Line help in that round. But, outside of that I guess I should be optomistic and see the bright side of it.
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Webb spells the end for Scandrick. I loved Webb but saw no way we'd get him, but the value was there. I'l NEVER be upset about having too many good players at CB. Besides WR it is one of the hardest positions to scout and fill correctly.

I think he ends up having an impact this year. Maybe the second most after Frederick.

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
CT Cowboy Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you guys have watched the videos from today on DC.com, but both Williams and Frederick both used the phrase "it's a process" in their interviews. JG is already rubbing off on these guys and it only day 1.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT Cowboy Fan wrote:
I don't know if you guys have watched the videos from today on DC.com, but both Williams and Frederick both used the phrase "it's a process" in their interviews. JG is already rubbing off on these guys and it only day 1.

Hope the relationship built in this camp by Leary and Frederick translates into a new RG this season.

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
textaz03

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more tweets from yesterdays second practice.

Quote:
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 16h Holloman is playing as the Sam with Reed as the Mike and Magee as the Will. Doing a nice job of running to ball

Quote:
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 16h Defensive coaches asking for more speed from the front. They want them to get down and get ready. It's all about getting up the field

Quote:
Birddog26 ‏@Birddog26 16h Impressed with over all football intelligence of the rookies Most did not get playbooks until yesterday but have done good job executing it

Quote:
Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 16h Travis Frederick on what he likes most about football: "I get a chance to legally beat somebody up. I take advantage of that when I can."

That last one I really like!!

Quote:
Birddog26 ‏@Birddog26 16h Fast tempo starting to take it's toll on the lines. Coaches staying on them and driving them to keep tempo and execution up.

Quote:
Nick Eatman ‏@nickeatman 13h Cowboys adding 4 workout guys for Saturday: TCU WR Antione Hicks, Baylor RB Jarred Salubi, OU RB Dominique Whaley and Rice TE Taylor Cook

Quote:
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 7h “@reyes21: @BryanBroaddus any other WR other than Williams that impressed you?” Green was outstanding

Quote:
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 1h “@bigburkes72: @BryanBroaddus Or any DL that caught ur eye?” Johnson kid from Baylor

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Travis Frederick on what he likes most about football: "I get a chance to legally beat somebody up. I take advantage of that when I can."

I love this guy

^^^mack
textaz03

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4708605/day-1-cowboys-rookie-camp-notes

Quote:
RB Kendial Lawrence will have a chance to make the roster. Hyperbole after a day of rookie camp? Maybe but he has a burst and a vision that could put him in the mix with Lance Dunbar and Phillip Tanner for the final running back spot. On the first play of team run he darted through the line and made a sharp jump-cut away from defenders.

Quote:
Not to be an alarmist but shotgun snaps were an issue. D.J. Hall was replaced after sending one high and wide and was replaced by Frederick, whose snap was rolled back to the quarterback. There were a few quarterback-center exchange issues but none from under center with Frederick.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not to be an alarmist but shotgun snaps were an issue. D.J. Hall was replaced after sending one high and wide and was replaced by Frederick, whose snap was rolled back to the quarterback. There were a few quarterback-center exchange issues but none from under center with Frederick.

Man Beard Cool

^^^mack
Northland

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the key player of all the players is Leary. If he can step in and contribute it will be a big plus for the OL.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
For me the key player of all the players is Leary. If he can step in and contribute it will be a big plus for the OL.

Speaking of Leary...

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/05/ronald-leary-with-a-years-experience-under-him-catches-garretts-eye-at-minicamp.html

Quote:
“Ron made a lot of progress over the course of the year last year, did a good job working in scout team,” Garrett said. “We saw the improvement as the year wore on. So it’ll be a nice opportunity for him once we get into the OTAs and regular training camp to see what he can do.”

^^^mack
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@BryanBroaddus 12m
Run period has been all zone stretch plays. OL creating some nice seams for these backs to hit. It's been one cut and go.

Interesting.

Quote:
@BryanBroaddus 10m
Defensive staff has already put Webb in the slot in the nickel. That's his cup of tea.

If it weren't for that cap hit, I wouldn't be surprised to see Scandrick gone if Webb keeps impressing.

Quote:
@BryanBroaddus 4m
These safeties are struggling to line up right and carry the receivers in the Zone. Wilcox and Pellerin guilty parties.

Well, we knew he was raw...

Quote:
@BryanBroaddus 2m
Nice route across the field by Williams off play action. Good throw by Stephens near the sideline.

^^^mack
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the case of Wilcox, you don't develop safety instincts in 1 year. Hopefully he will be a special teams demon and find a place on the team that way until he learns the position and develops those instincts.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
htfryar

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
In the case of Wilcox, you don't develop safety instincts in 1 year. Hopefully he will be a special teams demon and find a place on the team that way until he learns the position and develops those instincts.

That is exactly how I view Wilcox. If he comes in and earns a starting job, great. Realistically, we shouldn't count on that happening this year. He is a raw player from a smaller school. He is going to have growing pains, both from adjusting to the difference in competition and from learning the position. Anything other than SPecial Teams play this year is a bonus.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: