Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

An In-Depth Look Inside Ray Hortonís Defense
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: An In-Depth Look Inside Ray Hortonís Defense Reply with quote

http://www.draftbrowns.com/2013/05/an-in-depth-look-inside-ray-hortons-defense/

I thought this was a great article on the defense we most likely will implement. Something I found interesting:

Quote:
Throughout the entire 2012 season, Horton used the 2-4-5 defense on 505 out of 1,110 snaps (45.5%). On first and second downs, Horton used the 2-4-5 on 306 out of 749 snaps (40.9%). On third downs, Horton used the 2-4-5 on 191 out of 249 snaps (76.7%). With offenses continually trending more and more toward the passing game, it will be interesting to look back on Hortonís first season with the Browns and see if he relies on the 2-4-5 any more or less than he did during the 2012 season.

With offense going more wide-outs I imagine we'll see a lot more of this. Also I love Horton's adaptability. Looks like he will adapt to whatever he needs to. Which I LOVE in a coach.

I almost wish he was head coach and not Chud Laughing But as long as Chud has a back-up plan in the event Ray leaves I am content with him, as I favor offensive minded coaches. (as long as they get great defensive coaches)

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received that from a browns backers email... Haven't got through it all yet, but very good article.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: An In-Depth Look Inside Ray Hortonís Defense Reply with quote

Bonanza23 wrote:
Something I found interesting:

Quote:
Throughout the entire 2012 season, Horton used the 2-4-5 defense on 505 out of 1,110 snaps (45.5%). On first and second downs, Horton used the 2-4-5 on 306 out of 749 snaps (40.9%). On third downs, Horton used the 2-4-5 on 191 out of 249 snaps (76.7%). With offenses continually trending more and more toward the passing game, it will be interesting to look back on Hortonís first season with the Browns and see if he relies on the 2-4-5 any more or less than he did during the 2012 season.

With offense going more wide-outs I imagine we'll see a lot more of this. Also I love Horton's adaptability. Looks like he will adapt to whatever he needs to. Which I LOVE in a coach.

My main concern is that we're not exactly flush with great DB's. That's basically a perpetual nickel defense, which is becoming more and more common, I guess. The only thing I can gather is that the FO thinks more of some of our DB's from last year than the average fan does.

Clearly, they have a pretty big role in mind for Skrine (and possibly Wade, Bademosi, and Gipson). That's a big risk, imo.

Great article, btw.

It will happen some day. Not sure when.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: An In-Depth Look Inside Ray Hortonís Defense Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:

Quote:

My main concern is that we're not exactly flush with great DB's. That's basically a perpetual nickel defense, which is becoming more and more common, I guess. The only thing I can gather is that the FO thinks more of some of our DB's from last year than the average fan does.

Clearly, they have a pretty big role in mind for Skrine (and possibly Wade, Bademosi, and Gipson). That's a big risk, imo.

Great article, btw.

Gipson Ward
McFadden Skrine Haden
Mingo Kruger Jackson Sheard
Rubin Taylor/ Bryant

Since 3rd is a passing down, I hope we make 4 of the LB's OLB's

Have all 3 of those guys plus the front 2 coming at the QB

That would be nice

wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: An In-Depth Look Inside Ray Hortonís Defense Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:

Great article, btw.

I'm not trying to dog on the Browns, but you're right about that, you're a fan and calling it like it is. I think Skrine is a decent DB but is he ready to step up this season? We'll soon find out. Leon McFadden I think was a very good pick, the only thing that sucks for him is that, frankly he's in a pretty tough division to have to 'learn on the fly'. I think he has strong future potential though and Horton is a very good DC to have to help him learn.

You guys got a lot of potential there across the board on the roster. If the majority of it pans out...the Browns should be crazy good in a few seasons.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: An In-Depth Look Inside Ray Hortonís Defense Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:

Quote:

Great article, btw.

I think it's a combination. I think Horton feels better about our secondary then we do. Also I think Banner truly believes you can't fill every hole in one offseason. I like that BTW, I don't want to fill holes just to fill holes. Now if we are playoff contenders it's a different story.

I look for Gipson and Wade to break out this year. I would love for McFadden to start though. Add that to the pressure we'll be dosing and I think we will be fine.

Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best part about that article is to look at the names of the defensive linemen, and then compare them to ours.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: An In-Depth Look Inside Ray Hortonís Defense Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:

Gipson Ward
McFadden Skrine Haden
Mingo Kruger Jackson Sheard
Rubin Taylor/ Bryant

Since 3rd is a passing down, I hope we make 4 of the LB's OLB's

Have all 3 of those guys plus the front 2 coming at the QB

That would be nice

On 3rd down I'd go Winn/Taylor. Who you gonna double up?

Of course if I was the Qb, I'd just audible to run. Laughing

nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
The best part about that article is to look at the names of the defensive linemen, and then compare them to ours.

Truth

Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:

Truth

Absolutely.

I also really like that 4-4 front. That could be useful in our division...

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: An In-Depth Look Inside Ray Hortonís Defense Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:

Quote:

Great article, btw.

I don't think there are really many teams that are 'flush with great DBs' for a nickel defense. And the 2012 Cards certainly weren't either.

It seems that 5th DB is usually more of a 'fringe' NFL talent...which is precisely why he's the 5th DB.

That 5th DB, by the way, can be either a safety or a cornerback--and it can differ by game situations, pressure packages, and offensive personnel groups. So I wouldn't assume that there is one player in mind to assume some giant role as the everyday 5th DB. The 5th DB isnít really anywhere near the Ďkeyí to the success of the 2-4-5 anyway. That burden falls squarely on the defensive line and pass rushers firstóthen to the #1 CB to play Ďmaní on the oppositionís best receiveróthen the roles of both primary safeties and the #2 CBóthen the role of the 5th DB, which often may be working in a zone, and against the oppositionís #3 or #4 receiver.

If the QB pressure is successful to the degree it was with the Cards, I doubt QBs will often even get to the read on a #3 or #4 receiver.

We pretty much know that Haden and Ward will be 2 of those 5 guys. The other 3 will likely come from the current pool of: McFadden, Gipson, Slaughter, Hagg, Owens, Barnes, Wade, Skrine, and Bademosi

I donít think anyone should be worried about which of those guys is the #5 DB, honestly.

Now, which one of those guys is the #2 CB? Which is the primary FS? Yeah, thatís a big deal to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darnell Dockett came out and said he hated Hortons defense because it required d-linemen to just eat up blockers so LBs and DBs can roam freely.

Makes sense why we didnt spend a pick on someone like Star, Richardson or Floyd

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiogenius wrote:
Darnell Dockett came out and said he hated Hortons defense because it required d-linemen to just eat up blockers so LBs and DBs can roam freely.

Makes sense why we didnt spend a pick on someone like Star, Richardson or Floyd

We dont have that penetrating Sapp/Gerad/Suh type of Dlinemen so that works with what we have, big guys that can move a bit.
Bart

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand all of this but does our secondary relie on Haden shutting down a corner of the defense?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: