Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why not add Charles Woodson?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BDog19851

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Why not add Charles Woodson? Reply with quote

Woodson has been on the open market looking to join a contender, but with none picking him up he said he just wants to play football. When I look at Woodson it's difficult to find anything negative about him. Some will say he cost too much or takes reps from young guys. I disagree, I think any young db would benefit greatly from being around him. We just drafted two young corners that could learn a lot from him. He can also do a lot of things other db's cant, heck he played some olb last year. Having wake pin his ears back and Jordan and Woodson lining up all over the field would give OC fits. Seems like a great fit to me. What do you guys think?
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words: washed up.

And another two: back up.

He wouldn't start for us, and I don't think we're quite the contender Woodson seeks. He really wouldn't add anything but depth, either.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Pickle

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dolphins should look into it.
I know he is coming off an injury and is 36 but I still think he can play good ball and had 7 interceptions just a couple seasons ago.
You can see him on NFL Network just asking for a chance with any team, he's still hungry and aching to get back in

Sig: Ivana001
green4gulf

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodson still has plenty of talent and experience to be a playmaker at the Nickle spot, but with age comes injury and it's anybody's guess how many games he'll make it through until he's out for the season.

If you can only be young on 1 side of the ball it's Defense IMO.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? We haven't signed or drafted a player in over a week...

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
Why not? We haven't signed or drafted a player in over a week...

I'm getting a bit impatient...

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not..its been slow news with Dolphins since the draft..... I even heard we may be bringing in new mascots as Mike Dee said "We be moving". The new city will want a new mascot. Word is this guy is coming in today for a tryout :

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 5, Tackles 7 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 5 : Death 24 Joe 14
BDog19851

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of how many moves the team has made, it is always a good thing to improve your team if possible. We still have available cap space, so why not spend it on one year contracts. There are no negative long term effects. How does signing Woodson to a one year deal hurt the team? He's still a good player who brings great veteran leadership, which this team lacks. Woodson would most definitely start in the nickle package, and he would play in multiple formations and packages. He may not be fast enough to lock guys down on the outside anymore, but he still brings a unique and diverse skill set to the table. I know he's 36, but he had 38 tackles 1 FF, 1 INT, 1.5 sacks, and 5 PD in 7 games last year. That is pretty damn good still! The guy makes plays and creates turnovers, something the Dolphins have really struggled with.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the objective of signing Woodson. If we were a team like the Ravens or Patriots, then getting one last veteran to plug a hole could help the team make the Super Bowl. But we aren't either of those teams.

We are a young team that has players who need playing time to develop. We aren't a Super Bowl contender either. Woodson would be wasting cap money and taking up a roster spot that should go to a younger player that has a chance to contribute to a Super Bowl run in two or three seasons. If Woodson gets signed, this will be his last season.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we hadn't resigned Clemons, maybe. If we didn't just pick up three four cornerbacks in the last month, maybe. If we didn't have McCray and the probability of Wilson going back to S full time, maybe. Given all of the above? It'd just be doing something just to be doing something. The only older defensive veteran(s) I would have favored signing would have been Freeney or Abraham, pre-Jordan, just because they could provide immediate pass rush production while giving Vernon time to develop into a starter. With Jordan in the fold, it will be some combination of those two getting after the QB on passing downs anyway, so there's no need to sign a potential progress stopper on a very young team.
BDog19851

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that we are not really a super bowl contender, but we are a team possibly on the cusp of making the playoffs, and adding an extra piece to accomplish that would be great for the Dolphins as well. Making the playoffs gives you a chance to win a playoff game, which we haven't done in a long time. If we did win a playoff game it would result in much better ticket sales the following year, and in this day and age that matters a lot more than some people may think. Our fan base desperately needs something to hang their hat on. I get that the more refined fan sees the light at the end of the tunnel now, but the casual fan still thinks we suck. I also disagree that he would hinder the progress of our young corners. Hes not gonna take up a ton of practice reps at 36, and assuming rookies are ready to start year one at cb is most likely a mistake. Rookie cb's could benefit greatly just from being around him for a while. Tramon Williams has gone on record many times accrediting Woodson for much of his success. He is the type of guy that is unselfish and passes his knowledge on to the younger players.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets be real, nobody is going to come to Sun Life because 36-year-old Charles Woodson is playing safety part time, except maybe his parents. He hasn't been a good cornerback in a little while, and he isn't better than the guys we have now at safety, so what's the point?
BDog19851

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you are thinking i said people would come to the stadium to see Charles Woodson. I said people will come to the stadium the following year if you make the playoffs. I also said sign Woodson to a one year contract, so he would be gone at that point. I also remind you he had 7 int's in 2011, so that wasn't too long ago. If you want to just disagree that is fine, but at least give some insight to why you believe it wouldn't help the team, other than stating something i never said.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BDog19851 wrote:
I don't know where you are thinking i said people would come to the stadium to see Charles Woodson. I said people will come to the stadium the following year if you make the playoffs. I also said sign Woodson to a one year contract, so he would be gone at that point. I also remind you he had 7 int's in 2011, so that wasn't too long ago. If you want to just disagree that is fine, but at least give some insight to why you believe it wouldn't help the team, other than stating something i never said.

The main reason I wouldn't sign him is he would take away playing time from one of the younger developing DB's. As much of an influence as he could be it would be better to have those players learn on the run and be thrown into the fire.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BDog19851 wrote:

The difference between making the playoffs and not won't be Charles Woodson, and if this team doesn't make the playoffs, it needs fewer old veterans taking time away from young developing players, not more. There are only so many snaps to go around, and interceptions aren't everything. (in fact, my biggest beef with the approach the team is taking defensively is that they seem to be trying to manufacture turnovers when historically turnovers tend to vary wildly season to season.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: