Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who's got better offensive personnel? 2012 SF vs 2013 KC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mongo

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Who's got better offensive personnel? 2012 SF vs 2013 KC? Reply with quote

I'm seeking your opinion to settle a dispute on the Chiefs site. Which team has the offensive personnel for Alex Smith? Last year's Niners or this year's Chiefs? Please follow the link and vote. Thanks.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=523161
Forge

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last years 49ers. Bowe won't exactly be minimized by Alex Smith, but he definitely prefers going to his tight ends and running backs rather than chucking it downfield or forcing throws. Plus, I don't think that Bowe is better than Crabtree, and Crabtree is the perfect type of receiver for Smith and Alex still didn't utilize him as much as he could have. VD is far better than Moeki, and delanie walker was a starting tight end masquerading as a backup for a couple of years now.

While Charles is the better overall running back then Gore/Hunter, the manner in which the coaching staff utilizes the run game in san francisco makes up for a lot of that difference. San Francisco may have the best offensive line in football as well, which is going to be a major factor for the chiefs; Alex will hold onto that ball for dear life rather than trying to force something. He won't turn the ball over, but he will take more sacks than he needs to.

The chiefs overall have better receiver depth than the 49ers did though.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I think he is only referring to the personnel and not taking into consideration the coaching staff. On purely personnel, it is very close and you could make a case for KC.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
But I think he is only referring to the personnel and not taking into consideration the coaching staff. On purely personnel, it is very close and you could make a case for KC.

Perhaps, but personnel would have to include the staff in my opinion since they make a direct contribution to the offense in the form of scheme/play calls etc. 49ers fans in particular know just how much of a difference a coaching staff can make.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, our creative formations is one of the biggest reasons we are as good as we are. I'm just not sure if he was asking it that way.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers oline is the deal breaker here. Charles may be better overall back but not a full workhorse like gore and without the benefit of having hunter/lmj depth. baldwin/bowe may be deeper threats but not part of alex's game so maybe not as suited for him compared to older moss, crabs, etc. VD better blocker than Moeaki(?) in addition to being a receiver that needs to be game planned for. B. Miller blocking over KC's fb.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is the o-line the tie breaker here, it's close to all that matters. We have the best o-line in the game and that leads to a decent running game and time in the pocket to find receivers. Give Alex time in the pocket and a decent running game and he can be very effective. For him, and quite possibly for all QBs, I'd take a great line over great recievers and backs any day of the week.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's got it better than us?

NOOOBODY!
Forge

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Not only is the o-line the tie breaker here, it's close to all that matters. We have the best o-line in the game and that leads to a decent running game and time in the pocket to find receivers. Give Alex time in the pocket and a decent running game and he can be very effective. For him, and quite possibly for all QBs, I'd take a great line over great recievers and backs any day of the week.

The Denver broncos of the late 90's early 00's completely agree with you. Dominant o-lines made stars of Terrel Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, etc. They can make running backs look beastly. I still think a true number one receiver is important though.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

The Denver broncos of the late 90's early 00's completely agree with you. Dominant o-lines made stars of Terrel Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, etc. They can make running backs look beastly. I still think a true number one receiver is important though.

Stafford's a very qb and he's got Calvin, but he's also got the Lions line. Replace Calvin with a good,but not pro bowl level receiver maybe like Crabtree, but give them our o-line, and the Lions are probably a playoff team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: