Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Max Starks visits Diego Chargers
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 14185
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Max Starks visits Diego Chargers Reply with quote

Not surprised a team like San Diego is going after Max has been quite successful for us over his career here and while he did struggle last season, he is still a very capable, successful LT. This virtually guarantees, if there was still any question about it, that he's not going to be brought back to Pittsburgh.


Quote:

The San Diego Chargers are getting desperate in their search for a veteran left tackle after their strong push for Bryant McKinnie came up short.

Free agent Max Starks is visiting the Chargers on Wednesday, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports.


Starks has started 51 games for the Pittsburgh Steelers over the past four seasons, but the team showed no interest in bringing him back after he struggled as both a pass-blocker and run-blocker in 2012.

This is the first team we've seen connected to Starks since the start of free agency, which suggests weight issues, injury concerns and a few lost steps have scared potential suitors off the 31-year-old's trail.

Should Starks land with the Chargers, he likely would battle King Dunlap for the starting left tackle job, with first-round rookie D.J. Fluker on the right side.

Although Starks clearly is on the downside of his career, the Bolts have the worst left-tackle situation in the NFL. Kudos to his agent for finding the right match.

_________________


Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!


Last edited by wwhickok on Thu May 09, 2013 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 25107
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is this Diego Charg you speak of??? Wink
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 14185
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
Who is this Diego Charg you speak of??? Wink


They don't win enough games to get a full name. Wink
_________________


Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65283
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the steelers would re-sign him but I do understand they want to give Gilbert and Adams their chances to prove themeselves this offseason first. When you do that, you run the risk of losing Max to another team

Wwhickok... Do you have a link?
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Steelers22


Joined: 23 Jan 2007
Posts: 1347
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most disrespected players I've seen in a while. He's a quality left tackle yet consistently gets treated like he's absolute garbage. I'll never understand it
_________________

props to dawg24
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
3rivers


Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 2989
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers22 wrote:
One of the most disrespected players I've seen in a while. He's a quality left tackle yet consistently gets treated like he's absolute garbage. I'll never understand it


I never understood it either, but it could be injury related. The neck injury was that serious, but why he can't get deals with incentives that are worthy is something I can't understand especially when we gave colon his deal after IR Brick wall Makes you wonder, and when you factor in Starks is a LT for a QB that doesn't pass as soon as most in the league. Maybe his agent isn't doing a good job?

It could be the difference wrt pass pro here if gilbert doesn't wake up. If Adams and DD are on the right side there could be a daylight for Bell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lionslicer


Joined: 06 Nov 2010
Posts: 1813
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll never get quality money with the Steelers, not with his past injuries and coming into camp constantly over weight. Chargers really need a tackle and he'd make bank there if they chose him.
_________________
Kickers are people too
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65283
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the last 3 posters. He's never been really respected by the fan base, like some other players.

Also, if the Chargers sign him, he has that positioned almost locked up before the ink dries on the document.

In Pitt, he has had to fight to keep his job the past 3 years
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ghengis Graz


Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Posts: 1950
Location: Gettysburg
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall thinking it was a total joke when he lost his starting job to colon at Rt many years ago. Starks was never great and never looked the part but the dude gave us some pretty "above the bar" play for many years when he got the chance. We should have had him locked up more so than guys like colon over the years. I wish Max could have reitred a Steeler.
_________________
Stay thirsty my friends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 50400
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghengis Graz wrote:
I recall thinking it was a total joke when he lost his starting job to colon at Rt many years ago. Starks was never great and never looked the part but the dude gave us some pretty "above the bar" play for many years when he got the chance. We should have had him locked up more so than guys like colon over the years. I wish Max could have reitred a Steeler.


Starks has no one but himself to blame for that.

He was average and inconsistent at RT and in general was just lazy with conditioning issues. He improved his play at LT but still had conditioning issues, which is a big reason he ended up getting cut a few years ago. Why would you want to lock a guy up like that who isnt dependable enough to show up in shape? Colon sucked, but he was reportedly a very hard worker, which I respect.

Starks was a better player than Colon ever was, but still not a player Id want to lock up long term...simply because I dont trust him. Apparently, our front office felt the same, and given the lack of interest in him over the years he has hit FA, I am guessing the feeling is shared by many teams.
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ghengis Graz


Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Posts: 1950
Location: Gettysburg
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Ghengis Graz wrote:
I recall thinking it was a total joke when he lost his starting job to colon at Rt many years ago. Starks was never great and never looked the part but the dude gave us some pretty "above the bar" play for many years when he got the chance. We should have had him locked up more so than guys like colon over the years. I wish Max could have reitred a Steeler.


Starks has no one but himself to blame for that.

He was average and inconsistent at RT and in general was just lazy with conditioning issues. He improved his play at LT but still had conditioning issues, which is a big reason he ended up getting cut a few years ago. Why would you want to lock a guy up like that who isnt dependable enough to show up in shape? Colon sucked, but he was reportedly a very hard worker, which I respect.

Starks was a better player than Colon ever was, but still not a player Id want to lock up long term...simply because I dont trust him. Apparently, our front office felt the same, and given the lack of interest in him over the years he has hit FA, I am guessing the feeling is shared by many teams.


Meh, Starks out of shape was a better football player than Colon ever was. It isn't the gym shorts olympics. Given that we locked up colon long term i think Starks would have been a better call. colon had no position in the NFL. Give me the guy that showed up on sundays.
_________________
Stay thirsty my friends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
3rivers


Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 2989
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghengis Graz wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Ghengis Graz wrote:
I recall thinking it was a total joke when he lost his starting job to colon at Rt many years ago. Starks was never great and never looked the part but the dude gave us some pretty "above the bar" play for many years when he got the chance. We should have had him locked up more so than guys like colon over the years. I wish Max could have reitred a Steeler.


Starks has no one but himself to blame for that.

He was average and inconsistent at RT and in general was just lazy with conditioning issues. He improved his play at LT but still had conditioning issues, which is a big reason he ended up getting cut a few years ago. Why would you want to lock a guy up like that who isnt dependable enough to show up in shape? Colon sucked, but he was reportedly a very hard worker, which I respect.

Starks was a better player than Colon ever was, but still not a player Id want to lock up long term...simply because I dont trust him. Apparently, our front office felt the same, and given the lack of interest in him over the years he has hit FA, I am guessing the feeling is shared by many teams.


Meh, Starks out of shape was a better football player than Colon ever was. It isn't the gym shorts olympics. Given that we locked up colon long term i think Starks would have been a better call. colon had no position in the NFL. Give me the guy that showed up on sundays.


The first bright move of the Tomlin era - colon instead of starks at RT. Starks had his opportunities here and I wouldn't mind if he came back as a backup 3rd OT or even a starter if Adams can't play LT on this level or if starks can now play RT or at least better than Gilbert. . I can't see gilbert playing LT, but is that just me?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ghengis Graz


Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Posts: 1950
Location: Gettysburg
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
Ghengis Graz wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Ghengis Graz wrote:
I recall thinking it was a total joke when he lost his starting job to colon at Rt many years ago. Starks was never great and never looked the part but the dude gave us some pretty "above the bar" play for many years when he got the chance. We should have had him locked up more so than guys like colon over the years. I wish Max could have reitred a Steeler.


Starks has no one but himself to blame for that.

He was average and inconsistent at RT and in general was just lazy with conditioning issues. He improved his play at LT but still had conditioning issues, which is a big reason he ended up getting cut a few years ago. Why would you want to lock a guy up like that who isnt dependable enough to show up in shape? Colon sucked, but he was reportedly a very hard worker, which I respect.

Starks was a better player than Colon ever was, but still not a player Id want to lock up long term...simply because I dont trust him. Apparently, our front office felt the same, and given the lack of interest in him over the years he has hit FA, I am guessing the feeling is shared by many teams.


Meh, Starks out of shape was a better football player than Colon ever was. It isn't the gym shorts olympics. Given that we locked up colon long term i think Starks would have been a better call. colon had no position in the NFL. Give me the guy that showed up on sundays.


The first bright move of the Tomlin era - colon instead of starks at RT. Starks had his opportunities here and I wouldn't mind if he came back as a backup 3rd OT or even a starter if Adams can't play LT on this level or if starks can now play RT or at least better than Gilbert. . I can't see gilbert playing LT, but is that just me?


I think the best situation is Starks at LT, Adams at RT and Gilbert vying for LG and back up tackle. Starks losing his job to Colon had nothing to do with on field performance. Off field lethargy possibly but hey, I manage people and give me people that perform on game day not in meetings.
_________________
Stay thirsty my friends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 50400
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghengis Graz wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Ghengis Graz wrote:
I recall thinking it was a total joke when he lost his starting job to colon at Rt many years ago. Starks was never great and never looked the part but the dude gave us some pretty "above the bar" play for many years when he got the chance. We should have had him locked up more so than guys like colon over the years. I wish Max could have reitred a Steeler.


Starks has no one but himself to blame for that.

He was average and inconsistent at RT and in general was just lazy with conditioning issues. He improved his play at LT but still had conditioning issues, which is a big reason he ended up getting cut a few years ago. Why would you want to lock a guy up like that who isnt dependable enough to show up in shape? Colon sucked, but he was reportedly a very hard worker, which I respect.

Starks was a better player than Colon ever was, but still not a player Id want to lock up long term...simply because I dont trust him. Apparently, our front office felt the same, and given the lack of interest in him over the years he has hit FA, I am guessing the feeling is shared by many teams.


Meh, Starks out of shape was a better football player than Colon ever was. It isn't the gym shorts olympics. Given that we locked up colon long term i think Starks would have been a better call. colon had no position in the NFL. Give me the guy that showed up on sundays.


Out of shape is out of shape....it doesnt matter what you are wearing.

First off, you say Starks shouldve got an extension over Colon, when the fact is, he DID get an extension before Colon.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4281262&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

...and he wouldve kept it and probably got another if HE didnt lose the front offices trust by balooning up like Stay Puft.

Secondly, Starks was not much better of an RT than Colon. He got completely abused in 2006 when we started passing more. The only thing that made Colon worse at RT was all the penalties. Ignoring penalties, Starks wasnt much better. Starks found his niche when he moved to LT.

Third, your logic is flawed because the Steelers didnt put him on the field when he wasnt conditioned enough to play. He showed up to camp in 2007 fat and out of shape and they basically handed the job to Colon. Then, after getting the LT position and getting a decent extension in 2009, he showed up out of shape again in 2010, and then balooned up again going into 2011, which led to him being cut.

So, yeah....the Steelers gave him an extension and probably wouldve gave him another one if he was more dependable. Just because he was a better player than Colon when he WAS in shape doesnt mean he was worth giving a long term deal too. Thats like saying "This car breaks down all the time, but I'll buy it because it runs well when its working".

And just for the record, I am not defending the Colon extension a few years ago. One of the worst signings we made in recent memory IMO...but Starks blew his opportunities all by himself. Colon's suckage doesnt mean Starks deserved a longer deal. it means neither deserved it.
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 35083
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers22 wrote:
One of the most disrespected players I've seen in a while. He's a quality left tackle yet consistently gets treated like he's absolute garbage. I'll never understand it


I originally read that was disrespectful... I was thinking "Wait, what?!" but yeah, you're right there. Then again, no team ever wants his services. From a business standpoint, if his value is so insanely low; why would we pay high? You know?

I don't see why San Diego wants him. They just drafted, what I'm assuming they hope; is their LT of the future. Starks at RT was never a good idea. The last time I remember him being anything noteworthy was during the Super Bowl XL season.

Then again... They're paying Jeromey Clary nearly Willie Colon money... and he's half the RT Colon was. I wish I was kidding Shocked
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group