Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marquess Wilson = Denarius Moore?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G08

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Marquess Wilson = Denarius Moore? Reply with quote

Just a thought I've been playing with the past few days.

If you look strictly at the measurables (aside from height), you essentially have the same athlete:

Wilson / Moore

Height: 6'2.625" / 5'11.625"
Weight: 194 / 194
Dash: 1.54|2.50|4.45 / 1.55|2.50|4.43 (both taken from NFL combine)
225 reps: 7 / 13
Vertical: 34.5" / 36"
Broad Jump: 10'2" / 9'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.33 / 4.15
3-Cone Drill: 6.65 / 6.78

When you look at the actual football player, I think Wilson is better at attacking the ball in the air while Moore is better at tracking the ball over his shoulder. They both are (IMO) slight of build yet still can make tough receptions on 50/50 balls.

It's ridiculously early and I'm going only off Wilson's college tape but all things considered, if his talents cross over from the college ranks, I think the kid will not only make the roster, he will have Earl Bennet's starting job before week 17.

Hybrid. Aggressive. Defense.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Marquess Wilson = Denarius Moore? Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
It's ridiculously early and I'm going only off Wilson's college tape but all things considered, if his talents cross over from the college ranks, I think the kid will not only make the roster, he will have Earl Bennet's starting job before week 17.

Slow down there. First and foremost, Wilson is going to have to be an outstanding special teams contributor to make the team, much less see the field. Obviously there were extenuating circumstances to him not getting drafted until the 7th round, but nonetheless he's a 7th rounder who is going to play a very difficult position to transition to at the pro level. Special teams has to be his ticket to a roster spot.
DABEARSLCF04

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be cool, but in not getting my hopes up.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Marquess Wilson = Denarius Moore? Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
G08 wrote:

Slow down there. First and foremost, Wilson is going to have to be an outstanding special teams contributor to make the team, much less see the field. Obviously there were extenuating circumstances to him not getting drafted until the 7th round, but nonetheless he's a 7th rounder who is going to play a very difficult position to transition to at the pro level. Special teams has to be his ticket to a roster spot.

I'm not so sure I agree. There's talk of Hester being one of our gunners (if I'm not mistaken, Peanut is our other one). I don't see any value that Weems brings to our team, especially now that Hester is a full time returner. What non-starting WR on our roster brings a combination of size and deep speed? Brandon and Alshon are locks, but after that I think it's a tossup. This kid is a Day 2 talent that fell because of quitting on his team (never a good thing, but Mike Leach's history has me wondering what was actually occurring). He's a legit 4.45 guy and arguably the only deep threat we have.

chitownstar

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Marquess Wilson = Denarius Moore? Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
G08 wrote:

I'm not so sure I agree. There's talk of Hester being one of our gunners (if I'm not mistaken, Peanut is our other one). I don't see any value that Weems brings to our team, especially now that Hester is a full time returner. What non-starting WR on our roster brings a combination of size and deep speed? Brandon and Alshon are locks, but after that I think it's a tossup. This kid is a Day 2 talent that fell because of quitting on his team (never a good thing, but Mike Leach's history has me wondering what was actually occurring). He's a legit 4.45 guy and arguably the only deep threat we have.

I think Earl Bennett is the player your thinking of lol. While Earl doesn't have the straight line speed like Moore, I think he will be able to play a similar role as a slot guy who can catch the ball downfield. He doesn't get alot of love but I saw some good things from him last season. The best thing Wilson will be this year is a special teams guy who might sub in for a drive at receiver, (the Rashied Davis role)
G08

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Marquess Wilson = Denarius Moore? Reply with quote

chitownstar wrote:
G08 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
G08 wrote:

I think Earl Bennett is the player your thinking of lol. While Earl doesn't have the straight line speed like Moore, I think he will be able to play a similar role as a slot guy who can catch the ball downfield. He doesn't get alot of love but I saw some good things from him last season. The best thing Wilson will be this year is a special teams guy who might sub in for a drive at receiver, (the Rashied Davis role)

As a deep threat? Earl is anything but that, IMO. I think he can be solid in the slot, but he's become pretty injury prone and I don't know if he could handle a shot from a LB.

chitownstar

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Marquess Wilson = Denarius Moore? Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
chitownstar wrote:
G08 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
G08 wrote:

As a deep threat? Earl is anything but that, IMO. I think he can be solid in the slot, but he's become pretty injury prone and I don't know if he could handle a shot from a LB.

Earl is at his best when he's running down the seam or across the middle. While I wouldn't consider him a deep "threat" he can still run a 15 yard
in-route or a deep post and have success against man-to-man. I agree that I wouldn't like to see him take a shot from a linebacker but he's held his own in the past with the ball in his hands and routinely fights for YAC
IronMike84

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Marquess Wilson = Denarius Moore? Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
G08 wrote:

And he will have to contribute on special teams.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Marquess Wilson = Denarius Moore? Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
G08 wrote:

No, he's a 4.51 guy, and Earl is a 4.43 guy, and Alshon is a 4.48 guy. And Alshon is the teams deep threat, Wilson really has no role on this team, but it will take him getting cut in TC before people around here will realize it.

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.
G08

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Marquess Wilson = Denarius Moore? Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
G08 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
G08 wrote:

No, he's a 4.51 guy, and Earl is a 4.43 guy, and Alshon is a 4.48 guy. And Alshon is the teams deep threat, Wilson really has no role on this team, but it will take him getting cut in TC before people around here will realize it.

I consider Alshon a deep threat as much as I consider Brandon a deep threat. I love both players, but I wouldn't send him vertical more than I would have him contribute with slants, digs, and comebacks

Earl Bennett is not a 4.43 guy. He ran 1.47/2.56/4.48.

Players like Earl Bennett are a dime a dozen. Good WR, I cringe calling him "solid". Nothing special.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57112&draftyear=2008&genpos=WR

Marquess Wilson ran a 1.54/2.50/4.45. He also had more explosion evidenced by his vertical and broad jump. Earl could only dream of having Wilson's body control and ability to high point the football.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=113933&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

I vehemently disagree that MW has no role on this team. You put him at Z when you want to move Marshall into the slot, you can use him in the quick passing game, bubble screens, etc etc etc.

I get that you don't like the guy, I just haven't heard you once provide a legitimate football reason.

AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Marquess Wilson = Denarius Moore? Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
G08 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
G08 wrote:

I consider Alshon a deep threat as much as I consider Brandon a deep threat. I love both players, but I wouldn't send him vertical more than I would have him contribute with slants, digs, and comebacks

Players like Earl Bennett are a dime a dozen. Good WR, I cringe calling him "solid". Nothing special.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57112&draftyear=2008&genpos=WR

Marquess Wilson ran a 1.54/2.50/4.45. He also had more explosion evidenced by his vertical and broad jump. Earl could only dream of having Wilson's body control and ability to high point the football.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=113933&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

I vehemently disagree that MW has no role on this team. You put him at Z when you want to move Marshall into the slot, you can use him in the quick passing game, bubble screens, etc etc etc.

I get that you don't like the guy, I just haven't heard you once provide a legitimate football reason.

I wouldn't say he doesn't like him - I think he just has tempered expectations for a 7th round WR who doesn't appear to play special teams. There have been hundreds of guys who did big things in college who stunk in the NFL. Nobody wants to see Wilson fail to produce but you seem to be expecting a top 3 receiver out of a 7th round pick and that doesn't work out far more often than it does.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
BonanzaHawk

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People of the opinion that Wilson will have trouble making the team are sadly mistaken. G08 has made some good points. The fact of the matter is that we drafted him in the 7th round, and talent wise, that's an absolute steal. He had been mocked as high as the 2-3 rounds for a reason: he's 6'3" and can run in the 4.5s or high 4.4s.

On top of that, making the team and having a role are two different things, and you're wrong by saying he won't do either. Again, as G08 pointed out, he will step in on Day 1 and be a guy with legitimate outside receiver size, and the speed to take the top off. That's going to open up a lot of space for either Alshon or Brandon, or Martellus, to work with on nickel guys.

It may not be right away, but I predict that sometime near the middle of the season, Wilson will find a nice niche on this team and will be a pleasant surprise to many, eventually becoming a legitimate option for Cutler by the time the playoffs come around.

If you say you can't see the talent, you're lying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpPzojudHMo
G08

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Marquess Wilson = Denarius Moore? Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
G08 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
G08 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
G08 wrote:

I wouldn't say he doesn't like him - I think he just has tempered expectations for a 7th round WR who doesn't appear to play special teams. There have been hundreds of guys who did big things in college who stunk in the NFL. Nobody wants to see Wilson fail to produce but you seem to be expecting a top 3 receiver out of a 7th round pick and that doesn't work out far more often than it does.

I'm not expecting a top 3 receiver out of a 7th round pick. I think he's more than capable of being our 4th receiver.

I also don't think of his skill-set as that of a 7th round draft pick. I think his talent/college production puts him in the 2nd or 3rd round; the whole Mike Leach blowout plus (and I'm guessing here) inconsistent hands dropped him to where he was taken.

FWIW, Todd McShay mocked him in the first round prior to the start of the 2012 college football season.

G08

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonanzaHawk wrote:

If you say you can't see the talent, you're lying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpPzojudHMo

Love his whip route at 6:02.

IronMike84

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is going to deny he has potential. If he's as good as you say he is, he'll prove it, but until then don't gets your hopes up. A lot of "penciling in" goes on this time of year and it's not always accurate.

See: Andy Fantuz / Johan Asiata / Derek Kinder

And just because Hester and Weems are special teamers doesn't mean Wilson won't have to play on those units. Non-starters have to play special teams. Fact.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: