Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why is John Carlson still a Viking?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Why is John Carlson still a Viking? Reply with quote

Huge cap hit, very unproductive and we have his replacement with Rhett Ellison. So why hasn't he been cut yet? We can find a cheaper replacement out on free agency (And do we really need another TE with Ellison and Rudolph as the starters?). I mean can we at least do him a favor and cut him now, so he can find a job before training camps start?
The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is John Carlson still a Viking? Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
Huge cap hit, very unproductive and we have his replacement with Rhett Ellison. So why hasn't he been cut yet? We can find a cheaper replacement out on free agency (And do we really need another TE with Ellison and Rudolph as the starters?). I mean can we at least do him a favor and cut him now, so he can find a job before training camps start?

Because of cap number previously, then he redid his cap number and lowered it, but when players redo their cap number, it lowers, but has a higher % of guaranteed money.

rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may save the Wilfs real money, but it doesn't save any money against the cap. Should the Vikings cut him this year he would have a net negative impact of $2,450,000 on the cap.

It's much more feasible, if he should perform similarly, to cut him next year.
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
It may save the Wilfs real money, but it doesn't save any money against the cap. Should the Vikings cut him this year he would have a net negative impact of $2,450,000 on the cap.

Good job Vikings FO... I thought his contract was easily releasable. But I guess we redid it.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't we just do this in the Chris Kluwe thread?

Because I'm guessing that's what this is about...

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares this year. It will hurt us if we cut him.

He'll won't see the field much anyways with Kyle Rudolph as our main target, and Rhett Ellison at H-back.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

Good job Vikings FO... I thought his contract was easily releasable. But I guess we redid it.

Even prior to being re-worked he still would have cost about $1,000,000 in cap money to be released.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
thestonedkoala wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

Even prior to being re-worked he still would have cost about $1,000,000 in cap money to be released.

Yup, the cap hit for releasing him this year is higher, but his total cap hit is lower. Similar to what they did with Kevin Williams

disaacs

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Who cares this year.

Who cares period? Carlson deserves another shot to redeem himself. What has Carlson done to get in tsk's craw? Did he spit in his cereal? There's nothing gained by cutting him now. He's not taking any time away from anyone either.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Purplexing

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellison is Carlson's replacement?! Shocked

Carlson was injured and recovering when he was signed. I have to guess that the rehab wasn't as effective as was hoped.

By restructuring of his deal, the Vikings want to get a longer look at what he can do before giving up on him too soon.

In the future, if free agents who were injured saw the Vikings dump Carlson after 1 year, while he was still not 100%, they might not want to consider signing with Minnesota due to the lack of job security. Or, they may ask for more guaranteed money up front, which conflicts with what any team wants to do for a recently injured player.
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
Who cares this year.

Who cares period? Carlson deserves another shot to redeem himself. What has Carlson done to get in tsk's craw? Did he spit in his cereal? There's nothing gained by cutting him now. He's not taking any time away from anyone either.

Because he has a large cap hit (2.6 million). There is something to gain for Carlson if he is cut now. He can try out with another team and maybe become a starter. But with Rudolph and Ellison entrenched at the starting TEs, I don't see how Carlson is going to be anything more than a backup now. Why not cut him and let him become a starter?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got nothing against cutting Carlson if he gets beaten out by someone else. at this point, he doesnt save the team money on the cap so there probably isnt much reason to let him go at this point.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Ive got nothing against cutting Carlson if he gets beaten out by someone else. at this point, he doesnt save the team money on the cap so there probably isnt much reason to let him go at this point.

Yeah that's the only reason why not to cut him. Didn't realize he had such a high cap.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that Ellison and Carlson don't play the same "position." Ellison is used as more of an H-Back whereas Carlson is used as a weakside pass catcher.

To say that Carlson or Ellison is higher up on the depth chart isn't something that can really be done. They are both asked to do specific, and different things.

I do agree with the premise that, based on production, Carlson is paid too much, but due to being injured coming into the season last year I'm willing to give him this year.
Duff Man

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Carlson had a tough year last year.. But only because he struggled with injuries.

Give him a chance this year, hopefully can replicate what he did in SEA. He's a great player IMO, and he's a homegrown talent as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: