Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Winston Justice visiting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NationalChamp06 wrote:
I also have read that DE is still a position of weakness.....??

Jones at 6'5 275 slides right into KVBs old position and is younger and relentless. Do not see a downgrade here.

Ansah- in our wide-9 scheme fits his freakish skill set very well. I do not see him becoming a pro powler right away but the more football he plays I feel like he will get better every practice and every game.

Young- Even tho he was a never a starter for us yet. he played over 550+ snaps last year for us and played well. Not amazing but did solid getting pressure on the QB.

Devin Taylor- yes another rookie but him being 6'7 270lbs and is very explosive and fast will be nothing but a good fit in our scheme.

SDE- Jones 6'5 275 Taylor 6'7 270
DT- Fairley 6'3 300, Jones 6'5 275
DT- Suh 6'4 305, Mosely 6'3 310
WDE- Ansah 6'5 270, Young 6'5 255, R Lewis 6'2 245

We have a bunch of athletic big bodied guys on our Dline that we can mix and match according to the game situation. I do NOT see our DE being a weakness at all.

We have one all pro DT, a flashy DT next to him in Fairley, we have a ultra athletic DT playing DE because he is only 275lbs in Jones that can set the edge and hold up against the run, Ansah is a special talent with size and speed to be a great sack guy, Taylor if he plays 100% all the time can be a special rush DE which I dont think our Dline coach will accept anything but 100% all the time, Young has good nfl experience and can be a mis match with his quickness and speed and hustle, Mosley is a great signing for depth to be a solid run supporter.

I just dont see our DE being a weakness.
Jason Jones most productive season was back in 2008 when he was a rookie, and tallied 5 sacks. He played 4 years in Tennessee in the wide 9, and his production decreased every season. He had 15.5 sacks in 4 years in the wide 9, while Lawrence Jackson had 13 sacks in 3 seasons in the wide 9.

Jason has been a poor run defender every season he's been in the league, whereas Lo-Jack has been a plus defender against the run, and a more productive pass rusher during his three seasons in Detroit in the wide 9.

What I'm getting at is Jason Jones is nothing to get excited about. He's a bench player on anyother team in the league outside of Detroit, because our DE situation is so desperate. Willie Young couldn't register a sack and still committed too many penalties in his supposed break out year. Ronnell Lewis hasn't even seen a NFL playing field as of yet. Ansah is raw, we don't know what kind of production we'll get out of him.

Our DE's were tremendous liabilities last year, and Jason Jones is no better, or as I've just proven, worst than one of main backups. DE is definitely a potential problem, we don't have anything you know you can count on for consistent production until somebody surprises you and exceed expectations.
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see Dwight Freeney which could also strengthen DT by moving Jason Jones back.

I would also welcome Charles Woodson (FS), Daryl Smith (LB), Braylon Edwards (WR), Dan Koppen (C0), and Max Starks (LT) which would move Reiff back to the right to begin his career.
bzane

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Winston Justice visiting Reply with quote

ManeLine wrote:
Quote:
T Winston Justice will visit the Lions tomorrow. The Cowboys, who are trying to get RT Doug Free to take a big paycut, have been in contact

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/331920691781840896

No doubt brings his Osi Umenyiora Bobblehead Doll along with him, wherever he ends up.....

.........and Justice for all!
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duanegarrison09 wrote:
I would like to see Dwight Freeney which could also strengthen DT by moving Jason Jones back.

I would also welcome Charles Woodson (FS), Daryl Smith (LB), Braylon Edwards (WR), Dan Koppen (C0), and Max Starks (LT) which would move Reiff back to the right to begin his career.
Max Starks is a horrible starting OT, there's a reason Pittsburgh got rid of him. Anybody who's watch that team over the past couple seasons should have noticed Big Ben getting mauled to a degree in which Matthew has never had to endure.
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if they show any interest in Josh Cribbs. Still need a KR/PR it would appear.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
Wonder if they show any interest in Josh Cribbs. Still need a KR/PR it would appear.
Would be great in theory, but after getting stretched out against Baltimore, I doubt it. They'll probably avoid players with extreme concussion issues, just like they avoided character concerns in the draft.
Moparguy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lions are looking at the wrong guy with "Winston" in his name IMHO.

I know it depends on what they are willing to spend but this move wouldn't be any kind of upgrade
stylish313

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moparguy wrote:

I know it depends on what they are willing to spend but this move wouldn't be any kind of upgrade
Eric Winston < Gosder Cherilus

Since 2008, Gosder's rookie season:

Winston: 35.5 sacks, 26 penalties, 35 hits, 108 hurries
Cherilus: 31 sacks, 21 penalties, 33 hits, 128 hurries

Gosder clearly protected Matt, Kitna, and Hill in more passing plays than Winston protected Shaub and Cassel during that period.

Winston is certainly the better player between he and Justice, but he will also cost significantly more and demand a starting role. I think the Lion's really wanna see what they have in the tackles they've groomed, while just finding a veteran backup they could fall back on.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Moparguy wrote:

Gosder clearly protected Matt, Kitna, and Hill in more passing plays than Winston protected Shaub and Cassel during that period.

Winston is certainly the better player between he and Justice, but he will also cost significantly more and demand a starting role. I think the Lion's really wanna see what they have in the tackles they've groomed, while just finding a veteran backup they could fall back on.

Eric is also one of the best run blocking RTs in the NFL.
stylish313

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
Moparguy wrote:

He's consistently been top #15, not top #10. I just don't know how much that is worth; if I had to choose between he and Freeney, that I'd choose him; and if adding him is worth not knowing what you have in your own guys, since they'll likely be gone at the end of the season as free agents.

Only the people who've been watching them closely behind the scenes can answer those questions.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
Moparguy wrote:

He's consistently been top #15, not top #10. I just don't know how much that is worth; if I had to choose between he and Freeney, that I'd choose him; and if adding him is worth not knowing what you have in your own guys, since they'll likely be gone at the end of the season as free agents.

Only the people who've been watching them closely behind the scenes can answer those questions.

No doubt would choose Freeney too, but I would choose Freeney over anybody else on the market right now. But I just see that happening. There's a reason he's not getting any interest and idk if it has all to do with money.
superjoint

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw in the Detroit Free Press yesterday (via Twitter) that the Lions are in on Freeney and Max Starks. I think Freeney would be huge, it would potentially give Ansah the chance to not only come off the bench but also learn the position from one of the best in the game. How ridiculous could Ansah be with that patented Freeney spin move?
stylish313

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjoint wrote:
I saw in the Detroit Free Press yesterday (via Twitter) that the Lions are in on Freeney and Max Starks. I think Freeney would be huge, it would potentially give Ansah the chance to not only come off the bench but also learn the position from one of the best in the game. How ridiculous could Ansah be with that patented Freeney spin move?
Yes to Freeney, meh to Starks- I just don't get that one. I guess the most ideal scenario would be to bring in both Freeney and Eric Winston, but that would essentially be the end of Fox's tenure here without ever really getting a legitimate chance.

Would definitely put us at a talent level we've probably never witnessed here in Detroit as Lion's fans though.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
superjoint wrote:
Yes to Freeney, meh to Starks- I just don't get that one. I guess the most ideal scenario would be to bring in both Freeney and Eric Winston, but that would essentially be the end of Fox's tenure here without ever really getting a legitimate chance.

Would definitely put us at a talent level we've probably never witnessed here in Detroit as Lion's fans though.

Agreed.

C'mon, Stafford.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeney on our D-line would be ideal. Freeney Fairley and Suh?!? Twisted Evil Even older Freeney would be a huge upgrade for us. It also would do well in Ansahs development, and god knows he has ALOT to develop. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: