Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grade the 2010 Draft - 3 years Later
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The Grade is...
A
38%
 38%  [ 12 ]
B
51%
 51%  [ 16 ]
C
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Too Early
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 31

Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Grade the 2010 Draft - 3 years Later Reply with quote

Round: 1, Pick: 24 (Overall: 24)
Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State

Round: 2, Pick: 23 (Overall: 55)
Sean Lee, ILB, Penn State

Round: 4, Pick: 28 (Overall: 126)
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, FS, Indiana (Pa.)

Round: 6, Pick: 10 (Overall: 179)
Sam Young, OT, Notre Dame

Round: 6, Pick: 27 (Overall: 196)
Jamar Wall, CB, Texas Tech

Round: 7, Pick: 27 (Overall: 234)
Sean Lissemore, DL, William & Mary

Undrafted Free Agents

Matt Nichols, QB, Eastern Washington

Phil Costa, C, Maryland

Barry Church, S, Toledo

Chris Gronkowski, FB/TE, Arizona

Lonyae Miller, RB, Fresno State

Terrell Hudgins, WR, Elon

Chet Teofilo, G, California

Will Barker, RT, Virgina Tech

Rashaun Greer, WR, Colorado State

Bryan McCann, CB, SMU

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it an A. Most drafts would get an A with Sean Lee OR Bryant, but this one had both. Plus a late round contributor. I can't really include the Undrafted as part of the draft grade, but if I did, they would only help the argument. This draft was a hit, fellas.

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to give it an A, two of the guys we got from the draft are guys who could look to be among the top 3 players in the league on their respective positions in a couple of years if they can stay healthy. Lissemore have proven to be a very solid 7th round pick as well.
htfryar

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a "B" grade.

Dez is great. Lee is really good, when he's healthy. The next 3 guys aren't even in the league anymore. Lissemore is an above average rotational player. Church & Costa are decent, for UDFA's. If Lee could stay healthy and if we hadn't completely blown the middle rounds, the score would be higher.

“Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.”
DaBoys

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think to warrant an "A" you have to get a star in the early rounds, a solid starter in the middle rounds, and a late round contributor. We got a late round contributor in Liss, we missed in the middle, but made up for it by scoring not 1 but 2 stars in the first two rounds.

Matts4313 wrote:

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant get much better then that - A

Sig courtesy of mack.
matt79511

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B+ (voted B). Lee and Bryant are great, but they've both had their issues. Past that, Lissemore's a good rotational player, and that's it. I don't factor UDFA success into a draft grade, since I tend to view that as dumb luck. I also don't factor in the fact that Sam Young's starting for the Bills (don't know if any of you guys knew that...), since he didn't do anything here.

It'll be an A when Lee and Bryant churn out the All-Pro seasons that they're both capable of. But that hasn't happened yet.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say B. This draft is a microcosm of the Dallas Cowboys as a whole.

Elite talent up top, but not a whole lot of meat on the middle to low end of the roster. Hitting on a mid-round pick or two would have made this draft a lot nicer.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
I think to warrant an "A" you have to get a star in the early rounds, a solid starter in the middle rounds, and a late round contributor. We got a late round contributor in Liss, we missed in the middle, but made up for it by scoring not 1 but 2 stars in the first two rounds.

If the '10 draft is an A, then what's the '05 draft (an all-time great in Ware, a stud in Ratliff, two good starters in Canty and Barber, two useful backups/JAGs in Spears and Burnett)? You've gotta keep it in perspective. This isn't even as good as '11.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
DaBoys wrote:

If the '10 draft is an A, then what's the '05 draft (an all-time great in Ware, a stud in Ratliff, two good starters in Canty and Barber, two useful backups/JAGs in Spears and Burnett)? You've gotta keep it in perspective. This isn't even as good as '11.

That draft was probably the best draft - out of any team - in the past decade. I don't think it's fair to use that as the standard.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
DaBoys wrote:

An "A."

Matts4313 wrote:

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave it an 'A'

Bryant appears to have squared up his issues and is on the cusp of elite.

Lee, though injury concerns exist, is a very solid MLB.

Lissemore, is a good rotational guy.

Church, my pet cat from the beginning, has been good in his small sample size. Hopefully he's back to full strength for upcoming season.

Costa, much maligned, but adequate and versatile.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
DaBoys wrote:

You dont grade on a curve you grade by your criiteria. This meets my criteria for an A. Just because 05 was better doesn't mean anything less is worse than an A

Sig courtesy of mack.
textaz03

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going with a B but, it's a B+ for me.

Bryant is on the verge of becoming "Elite" (just curious how his finger will affect him). He has finally put it all together but still has some room to grow and I'm hoping he takes that next step this season.

Lee is a very solid player and can be a top 5 at his position, if he can stay healthy! Which is my biggest concern. He has shown time and time again that he can be that next "Elite" guy to wear a Star on defense, but he needs to stay on the field for 16 games.

Here is where it really drags our draft class down and why I grade it out in the B's. We suck at draft depth!!! Rounds 4-6 really suck!! We tend to select projects here and not players! We need to end the project drafting and just draft players! Guys who can come in and compete and push for roster spots. Not guys who will stick around on a practice squad due to inexperience or position change etc etc. If we could have found one player who could have contributed just a little in that 4-6 range, I would have bumped this up to an A. It's been our achillies heel for many years. Lack of finding talant in the 3-6 round range.

If it wasn't for getting Lissimore in the 7th round. I would have graded this draft even a little lower than a B+. If Lissimore can stay healthy this year and emerge as decent rotation guy for our Dline or even step up and take that NT position to start, this draft will look even better.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave the draft a "B"

Dez Bryant had a terrific final 8 games last year. Prior to that, Dez was inconsistent. And, Dez has also had his share of injuries.

Sean Lee has had too many injuries up to this point in his career. Injuries were his biggest concern in college and have proven to be his biggest concern in the NFL. He has simply missed too many games to qualify for a higher grade.

So, basically the draft yielded 2 starters, both of whom have had injuries problems.

There are are several teams from this draft class that have produced at least 3 starters and other solid roll players. I can't say the cowboys draft compares favorably to those other teams.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: