Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cousins vs Griffin - Hypothetical
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skinsfanLA

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Cousins vs Griffin - Hypothetical Reply with quote

I was listening to Redskins at one on 980 today, the topic was an interesting one. So I thought I would share it here and see what you guys think.

This is a hypothetical, I am not assuming this will happen, but it could put the Skins in a sticky situation, so I want to hear from you guys.

According to most doctors there is absolutely no way RG3 will be ready for the season. Assuming this premise is true, we now have a situation where Kirk Cousins is the starter for weeks one and two. Now let's say in week one Cousins dismantles the Eagles on MNF, throwing for 3 TDs no picks and roughly 300 yards. Next game is at Lambeau against the Packers, Let's also say he has a great game there, pulling out a W throwing for another 2 TDs no picks and 265 yards.

Now he has 5 TDs, no picks and 65% completion percentage and the team is 2-0 with the Lions and Raiders up before the bye. I would think that, in this situation, the Skins would announce that Cousins is starting the next two games to give Griffin three more weeks to recuperate before facing the Cowboys.

If we come out of the 4 game stretch at 3-1 or 4-0 with Cousins playing at a Pro Bowl (or very close) level, does RGIII retain his starting job? What do we do with Cousins? Or with Robert? What would you do??

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ahhhh the old "unnamed source". It's been way too long, my very credible friend!
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be REAL polite and just say this ,,,RGIII is a unique talent.. once in a generation ..
lavar703

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god it's starting already. You thank Cousins for his tremendous play and you promptly tell him to sit his rear-end on the bench because RGIII is healthy. We're not going to go down this road. I like Cousins but he is trade bait and will never be the starter for this team.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely see this scenario happening and I think that Rg3 should be on the pup list to start the year.

I trust in Cousins to get the job done.

If Cousins would play the first month and play well, it's definitely to our benefit for this to happen.

Then, hopefully we can trade Cousins next offseason for a 2nd if rg3 stays healthy.

This is rg3 team, he shouldn't lose his job through injury as no player should.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lavar703

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I can definitely see this scenario happening and I think that Rg3 should be on the pup list to start the year.

If Cousins would play the first month and play well, it's definitely to our benefit for this to happen.

Then, hopefully we can trade Cousins next offseason for a 2nd if rg3 stays healthy.

If Cousins plays as well as he is saying in this hypothetical scenario taking anthing less than a first for him would be moronic. In a league where Alex Smith can fetch two second round picks Cousins should easily be able to garner consideration for a first.
skinsfanLA

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a hypothetical guys.

I found the topic interesting because at least one caller said he would trade Griffin in that scenario. Trading RGIII is insane IMO, because he is a once in a generation talent, but sitting him longer than 4 weeks isn't out of the question if Kirk is doing well. And the better Cousins does, the more we will get for him in the 2014 offseason. (I don't think we will trade him until he has one year left on his deal, if we trade him at all).

I personally wouldn't mind Griffin sitting until he is fully healthy and comfortable with his new knee. I want to see him at the helm of this team for 10+ years.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ahhhh the old "unnamed source". It's been way too long, my very credible friend!
lavar703

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinsfanLA wrote:

I found the topic interesting because at least one caller said he would trade Griffin in that scenario. Trading RGIII is insane IMO, because he is a once in a generation talent, but sitting him longer than 4 weeks isn't out of the question if Kirk is doing well. And the better Cousins does, the more we will get for him in the 2014 offseason. (I don't think we will trade him until he has one year left on his deal, if we trade him at all).

I personally wouldn't mind Griffin sitting until he is fully healthy and comfortable with his new knee. I want to see him at the helm of this team for 10+ years.

If this team squats on Cousins rights until he is a free agent I would be extremely pissed. I think the Jets are stupid for not offering up one of there first round picks for him but then again I'm biased. Kirk is going to be a tremendous starter in this league and letting him go for nothing is silly.
skinsfanLA

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
skinsfanLA wrote:

If this team squats on Cousins rights until he is a free agent I would be extremely pissed. I think the Jets are stupid for not offering up one of there first round picks for him but then again I'm biased. Kirk is going to be a tremendous starter in this league and letting him go for nothing is silly.

L at the Packers and Flynn, nobody bothered trading for him because they knew he wouldn't resign with the Pack and they didn't want to pay for him with a draft pick. So it is not out of the realm of possibility that we don't get anything at all for him unless we put him on the block after this season.

I would rather get something for him as well (and agree that he will be a fantastic starter in the league), but there is no way the skins will trade him until Griffin has played a full season without re-aggravating his knee or avoiding catastrophic injury.

By the way. If Cousins does what I said above, a first round pick is the absolute floor. Every team is looking for a franchise QB, and if he plays lights out for 4-8 more games he would be worth a 1st and a future 2nd or 3rd to someone without a real QB option. Heck, I think we could have gotten a first for him this offseason if we had any intention of trading him, but with RGIII injured it would have been crazy to let him go.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
TheGreeK1973

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the OP did explain it was hypothetical. But is it? What I saw from Cousins last year tells me a 3-1 start especially with the 4 teams we open up with is very very possible. its a 4-0 honestly it comes down how good RGIII is looking in practice, not if he is 100%. If he looks sharp, you probably start him, if he doesn't why risk him when you backup is playing this well. You wait until RGIII looks great in practice before you risk him.

That is my honest opinion, however it may not count for much since I am on record saying RGIII should be put on the PUP list just so there isn't any expectations of him starting game one.

For me guys is a lot more value to have RGIII play for us the next 12 years than remotely risking him next year.
lavar703

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinsfanLA wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
skinsfanLA wrote:

L at the Packers and Flynn, nobody bothered trading for him because they knew he wouldn't resign with the Pack and they didn't want to pay for him with a draft pick. So it is not out of the realm of possibility that we don't get anything at all for him unless we put him on the block after this season.

I would rather get something for him as well (and agree that he will be a fantastic starter in the league), but there is no way the skins will trade him until Griffin has played a full season without re-aggravating his knee or avoiding catastrophic injury.

By the way. If Cousins does what I said above, a first round pick is the absolute floor. Every team is looking for a franchise QB, and if he plays lights out for 4-8 more games he would be worth a 1st and a future 2nd or 3rd to someone without a real QB option. Heck, I think we could have gotten a first for him this offseason if we had any intention of trading him, but with RGIII injured it would have been crazy to let him go.

Flynn was a decent player at LSU, Cousins was State. You cannot compare these two players considering Cousins had no business falling farther than the second round.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

If Cousins plays as well as he is saying in this hypothetical scenario taking anthing less than a first for him would be moronic. In a league where Alex Smith can fetch two second round picks Cousins should easily be able to garner consideration for a first.
which I'd welcome. I'm just being conservative because any time I seem to make a bold prediction it's brought up 6 months later like I'm the only person in the forum that felt that way and it didnt work our like we thought. Confused

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinsfanLA wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
skinsfanLA wrote:

flynn was a RFA, Cousins would have more years on his contract after this season. Different scenario

skinsfanLA

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
skinsfanLA wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
skinsfanLA wrote:

flynn was a RFA, Cousins would have more years on his contract after this season. Different scenario

I am not talking about after this season. I don't think the skins will entertain trade offers until after the 2014 season, which is what I was saying, I didn't make that very clear sorry, that is what I meant by "until Griffin has played a full season without re-aggravating his knee or avoiding catastrophic injury." In that case, he would have one more season and I doubt anyone would trade for him knowing he would be a FA in the offseason.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok skinsfanLA. That makes sense

mike23md

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We traded 3 first round picks for Griffin.

He starts if he can play. Period.

Cousins is not better than RG3. Period.

RG3, when healthy gives us the best chance to win regardless of how well Colt Brenn...I mean Kirk Cousins plays.

I know that its hypothetical, but Shanahan invested a lot for Griffin and he is a unique talent that only comes along so often. No way you sit him cause your back up was doing what he was supposed to do.

Let me ask this:

Kirk Cousins gets a concussion and is out indefinitely, Pat White is now playing. Plays well enough to pull out wins and runs the read option just like Griffin.

Does he jump ahead of Cousins on the depth chart?

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: