Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cover Linebacker vs. Dime

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krewebrees

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Cover Linebacker vs. Dime Reply with quote

I've actually given this a lot of thought. I've been thinking who's going to be our cover linebacker, because obviously it's not going to be Lofton or Vilma. The nickel package is our starting line up so there's 4 guys covering and one in zone. One linebacker then has to cover the back. Roman Harper is the guy I came up with. No he isn't great in coverage, but better in man and better than any other linebacker we have, but isn't that technically just a dime with an in the box SS?

I see us running a lot more dime than we have in the past this year. Looking something like this:

SS: I still don't see Kenny Vaccaro as that guy. When you draft someone in the first round you don't force them to play what you need you play them where they excel. Vaccaro excels in man coverage not zone cover 1. He is a best fit at SS maned up on the freak TEs in the league today. Who else do we have to cover them? We've seen Jenkins and Harper get destroyed by them and I don't trust any of our small corners covering the 6'6" TEs. Kenny Vaccaro is our best option here.

FS: I'm going to continue to say IAQ until I'm proven wrong. He is in my opinion our best option to play cover 1.

SCB: The strong side corner is playing up close jamming and bump and run. Our largest corner and best is Kennan Lewis.

WCB: The weak side corner is playing more off. I just think this should be our second best corner Patrick Robinson.

NCB: Competition. Competition. Competition. I think Jenkins is better suited to play corner and has had success in the nickel in the past. Corey White played very well for us last year. Jabari Greer could also start here. I could see any of these guys starting at nickel.

Dime/Hybrid Defender: I've seen Vaccaro given the "Hybrid Defender" title, but think Harper is better suited for it. He'll play the in the box safety role. You could argue this is Dime, SS, or even Mike/Will linebacker. Whatever you call it. I think Harper stays in the box helps on the run, blitzes and covers RBs and on occasion TEs.

That then leaves the front 5. I think we'll rotate between a 2-3 and 1-4.

DL: Whether it's one or two, think rotation. Ryan, as most DCs, like to keep their DL fresh. I see Jordan, Hicks, Jenkins, Coleman, and Bunkley all getting significant playing time. Starters? Jordan and Hicks, why not.

MLB: Curtis Lofton. Nuf said.

WLB(1-4 only): I think Vima is a better blitzer than Hawthorne so he gets the "starting" job.

OLBs: Much like our RBs I see this as a backer by committee. Galette and Butler are our better blitzes, Tez is more all around, and Thomas is better in coverage (we won't get to see it much though). Certain situations certainly guys will play. Starters? Lets just say Galette at jack and Tez at sam.

So I've actually given us a dime starting lineup. It may not be our first formation on the field, but will probably be the most often. Obviously someone could surprise everyone or disappoint in camp, but here is my current combination of what I would do, want to happen, and think will happen. What do y'all think?
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of what you said.

FS: IAQ should be the FS going into the season...but I am not convinced that they will. Objectively Jenkins is awful at FS...but I think that he is a good guy, high upside guy, and hard worker, so the coaching staff will continue to have him play at FS. It's a mistake.

SS: Vaccaro should be playing either nickel CB or SS. That is where he excels. he is NOT a FS at this point in his career. If Vaccaro plays nickel CB...then Harper plays SS in those downs. If Vaccaro plays SS, I could see Jenkins playing the slot in nickel situations.

Coverage LB: At the inside spots, vilma is the best on the team at this time. Hawthorne is right behind him. Since Ryan likes to play a 2-4-6 with the two outside LBs primarily playing as pass rushers...the Saints have to have an ILB capable of coverage...at this time Vilma is that guy.

OLB: Your guess is as good as mine. I think that Galette and Butler have the edge going into camp because they are the ones who the staff probably feels the most comfortable in...but it wouldn't shock me if someone else overtakes them.

In the 2-4-6...I think that you have Jordan and Hicks as your two down linemen.
krewebrees

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a 2-4-6 that's 12 guys. I assume you mean 2-4-5. That forces one of the linebackers, I agree with Ryan that has to be an ILB, to cover. I don't trust Vilma to cover. I don't really trust any of our ILBs to cover. That's why I said put Harper at Will or just a 2-3-6 with him in the box.

If you meant 2-3-6 then none of the linebacker have to cover. Obviously that's selling out on the pass so the Mike should be the best linebacker against the run. Lofton.
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewebrees wrote:
You have a 2-4-6 that's 12 guys. I assume you mean 2-4-5. That forces one of the linebackers, I agree with Ryan that has to be an ILB, to cover. I don't trust Vilma to cover. I don't really trust any of our ILBs to cover. That's why I said put Harper at Will or just a 2-3-6 with him in the box.

If you meant 2-3-6 then none of the linebacker have to cover. Obviously that's selling out on the pass so the Mike should be the best linebacker against the run. Lofton.

Smile

I Meant 2-4-5.
SaintsBeast

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with a 2-3-5-RH lol. Look something like:

94(WE) 76(SE) 28(SCB)
90/93(WRLB) 62/99/59(SRLB)
95(RILB) 41(CLB)
21(WCB) 27/24/33/32(Nickel)*
(Dime)*

42(FS)

Key:
94(WE)- I have Cameron Jordan playing DE on the weak side, simply because he's the smaller of himself and Hicks.
76(SE)- Flip side, Hicks plays strong side end because he's bigger.
90/93(WRLB)- That's Butler and Galette, both of which are undersized pass rushers, so they're rushing off the weak side.
62/99/59- That's Broughton, Coleman, and Johnson. They're larger guys, so, naturally rushing off the strong side.
95(RILB)- Tez. Monster at rushing ffrom the ILB spot, so, why not let him?
41(CLB)- Have Harper cover the back, or play contain if he doesn't leave the backfield.
28(SCB)- Keenan Lewis. Bump'n'run man coverage.
21(WCB)- Have PRob play CB on the weakside, since he's better at off-man coverage.
27/24/33/32(Nickel)*/(Dime)*- Jenkins, White, Greer, and Vacarro. I preferably want Vacarro covering the TE in these situations, or the bigger receivers when the team lacks an elite receiving TE. I starred the to signify that A)they're interchangeable, and B)clarify that they can play bump'n'run or off-man, whichever is deemed right for the situation.
42(FS)- IAQ, Darren Sharper incarnate minus the ability to catch a football. Laughing On a serious note, the guys is a natural center-fielder, let him do his work and he'll show up big time.

2012 Adopt-A-Saint:
Martez Wilson, DE: 1 Sack, 6 Tackles, 1 FF, 1 Punt Block
Will Smith, DE: 2 Sacks, 22 Tackles, 0 FF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: