Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Future of Tanard Jackson
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike23md

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: The Future of Tanard Jackson Reply with quote

It almost seems apparent that Tanard Jackson is not going to be in the 2013 plans at S according to this article:

Tanard Jackson

Quote:
Shanahan hinted that the Redskins donít have Jackson in their plans when asked about the safety situation after the conclusion of the teamís rookie camp on Sunday. He did mention that they had planned on Jackson starting last season but his name did not come up when discussing the picture for 2013.

Quote:
The one-year anniversary of Jacksonís suspension is Aug. 31 but that is a Saturday, Monday is Labor Day so the earliest the NFL could consider reinstating him would be Sept. 3. That is just six days prior to the Redskinsí season opener.

6 days is not enough to be ready for an NFL season when you have played a total of 12 games since the 2009 season.

Quote:
They are likely to carry five safeties into the season including Brandon Meriweather, Thomas, Rambo, Reed Doughty and one from the group of Jordan Pugh, DeJon Gomes, and Jordan Bernstine. One of them would have to be cut to make room for Jackson.

If any to get cut, its most likely Pugh. But I dont see them cutting any to make room for Jackson.

Quote:
The absolute worst thing that could happen to the Redskins would be for them to bring Jackson back, see him establish a key role in the defense and then have him ripped out of the lineup due to another drug-related issue.

This is why it would be best to just cut ties and let our rookies and vets that have stayed clean, do what they do. Is Tanard Jackson that valuable to a team that drafted 2 S's that were rated in the top 100 of this year's draft class in a S class that was very deep?

I dont think Jackson is worth the risk. Snip Snip and let him go.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT

Last edited by mike23md on Tue May 07, 2013 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
New Era Skins

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was excited about him last year and its hard not to be intrigued this year but not being able to at least be in training camp or preseason ruins it. I think Gomes will be our 5th safety and if he returns to how he played in 2011 Tanard will be completely forgotten.
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So-- why do you think he hasn't been sent packing already ?? I really don't get it .. Makes me think they DO have plans for him .
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanard has so much talent....
More than the safeties they drafted.

However, he just hasn't stayed clean.
I'd easily cut Jordan Pugh in favor of keeping Tanard to see if he's in shape and put the substances behind him.

With that said, I can see him being expendable so long as their current safeties stay healthy through pre-season.
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is preseason will be exciting to watch considering we will be able to watch our new dbs.

mike23md on the sig
David Amerson-48 Tackles 12 PD 2 INT 1 TD 1 FF
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish things were different, but the guy has had countless chances to prove he can stay clean and be a productive member of an NFL franchise. He hasn't been able to do it for 3 or 4 years now.

No doubt he's talented enough to be a pro bowler, but so was Albert Haynesworth. And yes, Tanard is millions of dollars cheaper than Albert but that still doesn't change the reason Albert was gone and we can't trust Tanard on our roster. Neither one can be counted on by the team to be there when you need them.

I'm really surprised we even have him on the roster.

We don't need 5 Safeties on our roster. I don't even think Gomes will make it.

FS: Meriweather, Rambo
SS: Doughty, Thomas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mike23md

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
So-- why do you think he hasn't been sent packing already ?? I really don't get it .. Makes me think they DO have plans for him .

I think that its only a matter of time. He might be a June 1st cut for cap space. But w/e the reason is, I cannot imagine him being on the roster that much longer with the value of S's we got in the draft.

Do you ever think that his talent was because he was on PED's?

I think that Gomes makes the roster. Bernstine will head to the practice squad.

SS: Doughty, Rambo, Gomes
FS: Meriweather, Thomas

Gomes has special teams talents and experience. He has not been terrible, but he has not really stood out either. He is a solid role player. Better in pass coverage than Doughty.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is preseason will be exciting to watch considering we will be able to watch our new dbs.

mike23md on the sig
David Amerson-48 Tackles 12 PD 2 INT 1 TD 1 FF
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

I think that its only a matter of time. He might be a June 1st cut for cap space. But w/e the reason is, I cannot imagine him being on the roster that much longer with the value of S's we got in the draft.

Gomes has special teams talents and experience. He has not been terrible, but he has not really stood out either. He is a solid role player. Better in pass coverage than Doughty.
That could happen. It comes down to a #s game like it always does with the last few spots.

I think Shanahan leans more towards keeping offensive playmakers over DBs. I'd love Gomes to make it, I still think he can possibly be our starting SS. But drafting two Safties knock him out, unfortunately. Sad

I think Paul and Briscoe would make it over Gomes...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

I read somewhere that players suspended for 1 year or more do not count against the 90 man roster or towards the cap. Since he's effectively not even on the roster I'm not sure there's even a vehicle for the team to release him by right now.

Redskins FFMD War Room
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=541707
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

I predict Bernstine over Gomes.
It will be fun to see the competition.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Taylor wrote:
mike23md wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

i got Bernstine on the practice squad
mike23md

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Taylor wrote:
mike23md wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Bernstine tore every ligament in his leg and at this moment, I am not sure how healthy that leg is and I would rather see him on the practice squad getting healthy, than trying to push him out faster than expected.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
S. Taylor wrote:
mike23md wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Bernstine tore every ligament in his leg and at this moment, I am not sure how healthy that leg is and I would rather see him on the practice squad getting healthy, than trying to push him out faster than expected.

Agreed, one of the most severe injuries I've ever read about ! He very well could be cut or if they like him enough and to show the team they care about their players--he could be placed on I R ..at least pay the kid for a year and his knee.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
S. Taylor wrote:
mike23md wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Ive heard he and Minifield are close to being healthy enough to participate in offseason activities. Now to what extent they participate is a didferent story, whether that means each can actually go out there and play in an NFL game this preseason in August is something we don't know.

I still lean towards each being signed to the practice squad this year as they continue to rehab and learn. Remember last year they were both on IR, So they actually both have two years of eligibility left on the practice squad. If we need them, we can always sign them off the practice squad.

Gomes is a tough case. I think he's in a battle for one of the last roster spots with Rambo,Paul, Briscoe, Hurt, Gettis, Nixon, Jawan Jamison, Royster, Muckleroy, So'oto, Neild, Merling, Brace and Worthington.

Seeing as I think Rambo is more talented, better in coverage and more of a FS, I think he makes it over Gomes. I'd really be shocked to see us keep 5 safeties. Especially when you consider DHall has played some FS and Amerson has the body of a FS which he could be developed into if he struggles at CB in the NFL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: