Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

POST DRAFT - More work needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: POST DRAFT - More work needed Reply with quote

IMO, Lions needs going into the draft were;

Offense

1. LT
2. C
3. RG
4. #2 WR
5. #3 TE

Defense

1. DE x 2
2. SLB
3. #4 DT
4. #1 CB
5. #3 FS

ST

1. P
2. KR/PR

Draft Results

1. DE x 2
2. #2 CB
3. RG
4. #3 TE
5. WR
6. RB
7. LB

Remaining Needs

1. LT - Don't buy the Reiff talk
2. C - we need better than Raiola/Nagy
3. #2 WR - not on roster
4. SLB - not on roster
5. #1 CB - hopefully SLAY
6. #3 FS - not on roster
7. #4 DT - not on roster

What do you think are our remaining needs?
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: POST DRAFT - More work needed Reply with quote

duanegarrison09 wrote:
Remaining Needs

3. #2 WR - not on roster
4. SLB - not on roster
6. #3 FS - not on roster
7. #4 DT - not on roster

What about Reiff don't you like? He played great in all the action he saw last year. I've only heard good things about him this off season.

Agree about center, hopefully Nagy wins the competitions and proves to be better than Dom was.

We're still missing the legitimate #2 WR to pair with Megatron that is true, but if all our WRs come back healthy and remain healthy we should have a lot of weapons for Stafford to play with.

The OLB position across from Levy is a wide open competition, and will be one of the most interesting battles to watch in training camp. I personally think Palmer will claim the starting spot and he is an upgrade in run defense but a downgrade in pass defense imo.

Houston is our #1 CB and I'm happy with him there. If our safties remain healthy this year, and we can get a pass rush from our front seven, he will be poised for a stand out year imo.

Carey, Silva, and Spievey (if he remains healthy) are all pretty good depth at safety. The only problem is that with Delmas' injury history, it's easy to see one of them becoming a starter for an extended period of time.

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
number66

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't consider CB #1 a need by any means. Houston is more then capable.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh I wouldnt say the #2 WR isnt on the roster, I think its more about if he can stay healthy. People keep thinking Broyles for slot only but he shined when he was #2. Just needs to stay healthy.

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
stylish313

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
Meh I wouldnt say the #2 WR isnt on the roster, I think its more about if he can stay healthy. People keep thinking Broyles for slot only but he shined when he was #2. Just needs to stay healthy.
Broyles is not an outside WR by any means, he doesn't have the size/speed/athleticism required. Never saw him line up outside last season, and I doubt you'll ever see it in the future either.
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: POST DRAFT - More work needed Reply with quote

duanegarrison09 wrote:
Remaining Needs

3. #2 WR - not on roster
4. SLB - not on roster
6. #3 FS - not on roster
7. #4 DT - not on roster

I see our remaining needs as:

1. Center- Raiola isn't very good, and we may have nothing on our roster after the end of the season
2. #2 WR- I don't see a viable option for outside reciever opposite Calvin, but I'm sure Nate will make due for the time being
3. LDE- Jason Jones should be our rotating DE/DT. A player like Freeney would be a dream here, but really we just need a legit pass rushing option which we don't have.
4. OLB- We have youth and potential here, it'll just be uneasy until we see them prove it on the field.
5. OT- Just like OLB, we have competition and potential here, people just need to see them prove it on the field. I don't think that the criticism is fair, both Goz and Backus were mainstays and although Goz was overrated he produced like one of the top #3 RTs in the game last season. Both Fox and Hilliard actually looked good last year in TC/preseason, but people had more faith in the trash we sent out at corner than these guys.
6. S- Delmas is decrepit, I don't trust him to hold up at all. Hopefully Spievey has recovered from his head trauma but we're pressing our luck here big-time.
7. KR/PR- Don't know what their plans here are, but it can't get much worst than Logan.
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayhew doesn't really have the cap space to make major additions at this point. The concerns you outline are spot on. The major issue that could lead to the season imploding is the Offensive Line. Not addressing this glaring weakness could prove the end of Mayhew & Schwartz.
Maverick12

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main concern I have is the #2 recievr acoss Calvin. We don;t really have that, just a bunch of slot reciver s. I love Briyles though., has a bright futre.

Team Stylish
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: POST DRAFT - More work needed Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
duanegarrison09 wrote:
Remaining Needs

3. #2 WR - not on roster
4. SLB - not on roster
6. #3 FS - not on roster
7. #4 DT - not on roster

I see our remaining needs as:

1. Center- Raiola isn't very good, and we may have nothing on our roster after the end of the season
2. #2 WR- I don't see a viable option for outside reciever opposite Calvin, but I'm sure Nate will make due for the time being
3. LDE- Jason Jones should be our rotating DE/DT. A player like Freeney would be a dream here, but really we just need a legit pass rushing option which we don't have.
4. OLB- We have youth and potential here, it'll just be uneasy until we see them prove it on the field.
5. OT- Just like OLB, we have competition and potential here, people just need to see them prove it on the field. I don't think that the criticism is fair, both Goz and Backus were mainstays and although Goz was overrated he produced like one of the top #3 RTs in the game last season. Both Fox and Hilliard actually looked good last year in TC/preseason, but people had more faith in the trash we sent out at corner than these guys.
6. S- Delmas is decrepit, I don't trust him to hold up at all. Hopefully Spievey has recovered from his head trauma but we're pressing our luck here big-time.
7. KR/PR- Don't know what their plans here are, but it can't get much worst than Logan.

I'm not trying to critizes what the Lions have completed in the off-season thus far. I'm just trying establish the main needs that would strengthen the team and provide necessary depth to protect against the disaster that was last year.

Reiff might work out at Left Tackle but still see it as a weakness until proven otherwise, same with Palmer at SLB. But, Center, FS, and DT lack starting potential depth. I'm not satisfied going into the season with what we have today!
mijags

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marquise lee or sammy watkins in the 1st round next year. would make our offensive firepower complete, and id love it.
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those positions I think they're gonna roll with what they got and see how guys do.

Would be shocked if Reiff isn't the starting LT though some contend Fox may be a better fit there.

SLB will be Palmer/Whitehead/Lewis. Might as well let the guys you drafted prove they can play.

C is gonna be Dom for another year unless Nagy beats him out.

WR I agree with but not exactly much out there without questions and red flags. Odds are I think Burleson is your #2.

#4 DT I agree. Maybe bring back C.Williams?

#3 S looks like it'll be between Johnson/Silva/Spievey. Wish we added more there but nothing really available now.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
Some of those positions I think they're gonna roll with what they got and see how guys do.

Would be shocked if Reiff isn't the starting LT though some contend Fox may be a better fit there.

SLB will be Palmer/Whitehead/Lewis. Might as well let the guys you drafted prove they can play.

C is gonna be Dom for another year unless Nagy beats him out.

WR I agree with but not exactly much out there without questions and red flags. Odds are I think Burleson is your #2.

#4 DT I agree. Maybe bring back C.Williams?

#3 S looks like it'll be between Johnson/Silva/Spievey. Wish we added more there but nothing really available now.

My point was that we have needs in the areas I mentioned. We're all aware that Reiff, Dom, Palmer/Spievey will occupy these positions but, I'm suggesting that they are weaknesses.

I was interested in what the reader thought might be their list of remaining needs, not the players that will fill my suggested list.
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: POST DRAFT - More work needed Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
duanegarrison09 wrote:
Remaining Needs

3. #2 WR - not on roster
4. SLB - not on roster
6. #3 FS - not on roster
7. #4 DT - not on roster

What about Reiff don't you like? He played great in all the action he saw last year. I've only heard good things about him this off season.

Agree about center, hopefully Nagy wins the competitions and proves to be better than Dom was.

We're still missing the legitimate #2 WR to pair with Megatron that is true, but if all our WRs come back healthy and remain healthy we should have a lot of weapons for Stafford to play with.

The OLB position across from Levy is a wide open competition, and will be one of the most interesting battles to watch in training camp. I personally think Palmer will claim the starting spot and he is an upgrade in run defense but a downgrade in pass defense imo.

Houston is our #1 CB and I'm happy with him there. If our safties remain healthy this year, and we can get a pass rush from our front seven, he will be poised for a stand out year imo.

Carey, Silva, and Spievey (if he remains healthy) are all pretty good depth at safety. The only problem is that with Delmas' injury history, it's easy to see one of them becoming a starter for an extended period of time.

I like Reiff but he is an unproven commodity. The list of remaining needs are my concerns. Just wanted ask if you have a needs list. I am aware that these positions will be filled with a warm body but, I consider them an area of weakness.
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
Broyles is not an outside WR by any means, he doesn't have the size/speed/athleticism required. Never saw him line up outside last season, and I doubt you'll ever see it in the future either.

Then you werent watching him. He wasnt there all the time, but rest assured he played on the outside and did well.

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
stylish313

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:

Then you werent watching him. He wasnt there all the time, but rest assured he played on the outside and did well.
Nah, pretty sure you've got it twisted. The receivers opposite Calvin were:

Nate- weeks 1-7(Titus played snaps outside, with Nate inside as well)
Titus- Weeks 7-10
M. Thomas- weeks 11-14
K. Durham- weeks 15-17

Broyles might have played a snap or two somewhere in there, but 98% of his snaps were in the slot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: