Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Giants after Aaron Curry
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ny92jefferis wrote:
fracdaddy14 wrote:
Per Spotrac, we have $4,468,227 in cap room, based on the highest 53 salaries. A vet min would cost $555k because of the vet min discount, which would make our cap even. We still have to use room for our 4 highest draft picks, aka the ones that would be over 555k, plus a possible Cruz extension.

We should recoup some more money after June 1st as some of the players we released we declared as such. I'm not sure the exact number that we released under June 1st releases but our current dead money associated with those players is 6,771,306, after June 1st and assuming that all were June 1st declared it would free up another 3,385,653 in cap space.

Ahmad Bradshaw RB 2,500,000
Chris Canty DT 1,700,000
Greg Jones LB 100,132
Martin Parker DT 5,000
Matt McCants T 66,174
Michael Boley LB 1,400,000
Osi Umenyiora DE 1,000,000

But then the rest counts against next years cap. Doing too much of that stuff is what is killing teams like the Cowboys.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He officially is a giant...

https://twitter.com/AaronCurry51/status/332948917719281665

Quote:

EXCITED TO BE A GIANT!!! pic.twitter.com/AW8erwtKRY
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:

Quote:

reading through his twitter ...

I guess I'm not going to hate the signing now, but come game day he better work his tail off.

Bolieve in Masai
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen4ev wrote:
Acgott wrote:

Quote:

I guess I'm not going to hate the signing now, but come game day he better work his tail off.

I don't believe heart or work ethic was ever his issue. Just over drafted and injuries hurt his name. At least I think that's the deal.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
Gmen4ev wrote:
Acgott wrote:

Quote:

I don't believe heart or work ethic was ever his issue. Just over drafted and injuries hurt his name. At least I think that's the deal.

From what I've heard is that he is a work out machine and because of his great combine he was drafted highly. But he has no on field vision and looks lost on the field. Hopefully he can work on that and become a superstar, but I cant see this signing working out in the long run.

Bolieve in Masai
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a huge fan of the signing but its a typical signature move from Jerry Reese.

Just wish that Cruz would either sign his tender or sign the long term deal so that before the value empties out of the free agency we know where we stand with the cap moving forward.
bigbluefan80

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Reese must honestly just look back at recent drafts and see who was in the top 20 picks and go after them if theyre free agents.. I hope this kid does something for us because our LBs are a group of misfits as whole if u look at it.

JWill..
Connor..
Rivers..
Curry..
Paysinger..
Herzlich..

... there is a such thing as hope and they all JRs height - weight - speed guys he speaks of..................... god help us.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbluefan80 wrote:
Jerry Reese must honestly just look back at recent drafts and see who was in the top 20 picks and go after them if theyre free agents.. I hope this kid does something for us because our LBs are a group of misfits as whole if u look at it.

JWill..
Connor..
Rivers..
Curry..

Paysinger..
Herzlich..

... there is a such thing as hope and they all JRs height - weight - speed guys he speaks of..................... god help us.

Those four are talented enough to see the field. We only usually need two on the field at a time though.

We like to use the 3 safety package. So expect either Will Hill, or Cooper Taylor hanging around near the box quite a bit.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
Didn't Urlacher turn down $4m a year from the Bears or something like that? Let me look that up...ah ok, it was $2m.

http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/07/why-aaron-curry-makes-sense-for-the-new-york-giants-defense/

Quote:
In 2011, Curry had 114 total tackles between the Raiders and Seahawks, with 80 of them solo. And per his scouting report, he's a solid tackler who thrives in an attack/heavy-blitz defense, something the Giants have used in the past, especially with their pass rush.

Curry has great quickness in the open field and can chase down any ball carrier when needed. He's also a good pass defender and would be a major upgrade over Michael Boley at the position, who was released by the Giants back in early February. Along with his great speed, Curry is a very strong defender and can shed blockers away in pursuit of making a play, which is what made him such a can't-miss player in 2009 and why the Raiders were willing to trade for him two years ago.

Curry would make for an athletic upgrade and choice to take over the reigns of the outside linebacker position that was vacated by Boley, and he won't cost anything more than a one-year deal for less than $1 million for a salary.

The one thing that experts said that Curry lacked was proper coaching on defense, along with being surrounded by solid veteran players who can give him that professional mentality, along with the feeling of playing for a winner.

His main weakness is coverage. He really can't cover anyone. He's a physical and agressive (sometimes too agressive) run defender though.
Gmen

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
His main weakness is coverage. He really can't cover anyone. He's a physical and agressive (sometimes too agressive) run defender though.

It's hard to find linebackers that can defend both the run and pass.

The Giants had the 5th worst rush defense last year. So they went and got three guys in the front seven who are better run defenders than pass defenders. Dan Connor, Aaron Curry and Jon Hankins. Hopefully they pay dividends.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
ny92jefferis wrote:
fracdaddy14 wrote:
Per Spotrac, we have $4,468,227 in cap room, based on the highest 53 salaries. A vet min would cost $555k because of the vet min discount, which would make our cap even. We still have to use room for our 4 highest draft picks, aka the ones that would be over 555k, plus a possible Cruz extension.

We should recoup some more money after June 1st as some of the players we released we declared as such. I'm not sure the exact number that we released under June 1st releases but our current dead money associated with those players is 6,771,306, after June 1st and assuming that all were June 1st declared it would free up another 3,385,653 in cap space.

Chris Canty DT 1,700,000
Greg Jones LB 100,132
Martin Parker DT 5,000
Matt McCants T 66,174

But then the rest counts against next years cap. Doing too much of that stuff is what is killing teams like the Cowboys.

Understood. I'm not saying its good for business as I agree with you, too much of this stuff and it will damage the cap beyond repair.

In regards to Curry signing a one year deal, he's being paid a qualifying contract, in which his base is that of a two year vet (555,000) w/ 65,000 in bonuses, rather than the vet min of 715,000. Saves a little on the cap but it also suggest that the Giants aren't sure about his injuries. Still not sold that he makes the final 53.
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ny92jefferis wrote:
fracdaddy14 wrote:
ny92jefferis wrote:
fracdaddy14 wrote:

Chris Canty DT 1,700,000
Greg Jones LB 100,132
Martin Parker DT 5,000
Matt McCants T 66,174

Understood. I'm not saying its good for business as I agree with you, too much of this stuff and it will damage the cap beyond repair.

In regards to Curry signing a one year deal, he's being paid a qualifying contract, in which his base is that of a two year vet (555,000) w/ 65,000 in bonuses, rather than the vet min of 715,000. Saves a little on the cap but it also suggest that the Giants aren't sure about his injuries. Still not sold that he makes the final 53.

Signing a player for a vet min always gives the vet min salary cap discount, so guys like Rivers, Connor, and most of our FAs this year signed similar deals. Curry has little to no risk with a potential reward. It was put in the labor contract to help teams give vets more opportunities than going with cheap players with no experience. It really helps when your up against it like us.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldnt be less excited about this signing. Just cant see him making the field.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: