Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Giants after Aaron Curry
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bagh

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Giants after Aaron Curry Reply with quote

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-lb-curry-article-1.1336611

Quote:
The Giants' search for linebacking help will continue this week when they take a look at a player who was once expected to be one of the league’s best.

Aaron Curry, the fourth overall pick in the 2009 draft, is planning to make a free agent visit to the Giants on Thursday, the Daily News has learned. He hasn't played since he was cut by the Oakland Raiders last November in part due to chronic knee problems that helped derail his career.
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ughhhhh, why are they trying to kill me Laughing

We the North
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen4ev wrote:

At least they can't bring back Clint Sintim. I doubt Curry leaves with a contract, they will probably kick the tires on every vet minimum LB.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
Gmen4ev wrote:

At least they can't bring back Clint Sintim. I doubt Curry leaves with a contract, they will probably kick the tires on every vet minimum LB.

If we can sign him to the vet minimum...I'd be thrilled to have him at that TBH. He's pretty solid when healthy, I'd just wonder how his knees are doing.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y u no kick tires on Karlos Dansby Giants?
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:
y u no kick tires on Karlos Dansby Giants?

Not a vet minimum LB yet. I'd like Nick Barnett too, but likely in the same boat. The Giants may wait to closer to training camp for those guys.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or Urlacher. But...methinks he won't be for the vet min either. Razz

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
or Urlacher. But...methinks he won't be for the vet min either. Razz

I'm surprised we haven't even made an offer for him.

I'd prefer him over Curry honestly.

We the North
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Urlacher turn down $4m a year from the Bears or something like that? Let me look that up...ah ok, it was $2m.

http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/07/why-aaron-curry-makes-sense-for-the-new-york-giants-defense/

Quote:
In 2011, Curry had 114 total tackles between the Raiders and Seahawks, with 80 of them solo. And per his scouting report, he's a solid tackler who thrives in an attack/heavy-blitz defense, something the Giants have used in the past, especially with their pass rush.

Curry has great quickness in the open field and can chase down any ball carrier when needed. He's also a good pass defender and would be a major upgrade over Michael Boley at the position, who was released by the Giants back in early February. Along with his great speed, Curry is a very strong defender and can shed blockers away in pursuit of making a play, which is what made him such a can't-miss player in 2009 and why the Raiders were willing to trade for him two years ago.

Curry would make for an athletic upgrade and choice to take over the reigns of the outside linebacker position that was vacated by Boley, and he won't cost anything more than a one-year deal for less than $1 million for a salary.

The one thing that experts said that Curry lacked was proper coaching on defense, along with being surrounded by solid veteran players who can give him that professional mentality, along with the feeling of playing for a winner.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint Sintim retired the other day. Was in the NY Post i think. Curry is a bust its unfortunate because even i was very high on him in the draft he was in. Urlacher id prefer
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that Rivers is always injured and Connor and Herzalich are stiffs, we need someone capable of playing in the nickel LB packages with JWill. They could give Cooper Taylor a shot there, but we couldn't count on him. Curry would make more sense in this regard. Urlacher would cost more than the GMEN are willing to play and I think he is more of an upgrade at stiff LB than someone who can play 3 downs. Urlacher's body is just too beaten down to give him what he wants. Might as well go after Dansby (who is visiting Arizona now and could sign there) or Nick Barnett for that price.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Spotrac, we have $4,468,227 in cap room, based on the highest 53 salaries. A vet min would cost $555k because of the vet min discount, which would make our cap even. We still have to use room for our 4 highest draft picks, aka the ones that would be over 555k, plus a possible Cruz extension.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's funny is lets say curry we're to sign. If you asked me three years ago that are starting linebackers are Aaron Curry,Dan Conner, and Keith Rivers I would of said sign me up for that.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregdege wrote:
What's funny is lets say curry we're to sign. If you asked me three years ago that are starting linebackers are Aaron Curry,Dan Conner, and Keith Rivers I would of said sign me up for that.

Laughing That's an awesome point.

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
Per Spotrac, we have $4,468,227 in cap room, based on the highest 53 salaries. A vet min would cost $555k because of the vet min discount, which would make our cap even. We still have to use room for our 4 highest draft picks, aka the ones that would be over 555k, plus a possible Cruz extension.

We should recoup some more money after June 1st as some of the players we released we declared as such. I'm not sure the exact number that we released under June 1st releases but our current dead money associated with those players is 6,771,306, after June 1st and assuming that all were June 1st declared it would free up another 3,385,653 in cap space.

Ahmad Bradshaw RB 2,500,000
Chris Canty DT 1,700,000
Greg Jones LB 100,132
Martin Parker DT 5,000
Matt McCants T 66,174
Michael Boley LB 1,400,000
Osi Umenyiora DE 1,000,000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: