Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dolphins CEO calls Future in Miami "Bleak"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanSpiff

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Dolphins CEO calls Future in Miami "Bleak" Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9246386/miami-dolphins-pay-stadium-fixes-ceo-mike-dee

This is rather shocking to hear. What would the NFL be without the Miami Dolphins? [/quote]
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posturing.

Miami is such an attractive option for players to play, I don't see the team moving.
patdt13

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's bluffing.

#TeamMeowgatron
green4gulf

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's pouting.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they'll try again. If the team can actually make the playoffs one year, get the city excited in the process, then you might see some movement on Ross' desire for the upgrade.
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Dolphins left Miami, you'd have teams clamoring to tap into that market. Ross has no leverage, and he wants the State Legislature to pony up $ 200 Million. Unfortunately, he's asking for the money at the wrong time. After dumping so much money into the Marlins new stadium, Tax Payers are irritated & don't want to take another bath. Add to that, the Republicans control the State Legislature & are committed to fiscal discipline. This means no investment in infrastructure, schools, and yes- New Stadiums.

The element that I find questionable- Increasing the hotel tax 1% isn't going to pay for $ 200 million at least in the short term. It's really just a backstamped guarantee to repay the money.

What will change the State Legislatures Mind? Pressure from Miami's representatives. Specifically, they will focus on hosting future Super Bowls. If the State Legislature comes through with the money, you just watch.... The NFL will guarantee Miami hosts Super Bowl 50. If the legislature doesn't come through, the 49ers will host it in their new stadium.

But realistically, Ross isn't going anywhere. He's tried to add marquee players to spur fan interest this offseason. But the only REAL PRESSURE will be a product on the field. If the Dolphins deliver on their offseason, become a playoff participant, the money will follow suit. Look at the 49ers as the case in point.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the amount of money in Miami, someone would buy the Dolphins to keep them here.

The NFL would not allow the Dolphins to leave.

It's like saying the NBA would allow the Heat to leave, or MLB to let a team like the Braves leave ATL. It won't happen.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically, Mr. Ross isn't making ambitious demands. He wants $ 200 Million of public money to match his personal $ 200 million contribution to upgrade the stadium. Besides Met Life Stadium, not major project has been financed without public money. Eventually, the state legislature needs to budge. It'll happen, just give it time.
SUG

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
With the amount of money in Miami, someone would buy the Dolphins to keep them here.

It's like saying the NBA would allow the Heat to leave, or MLB to let a team like the Braves leave ATL. It won't happen.

I beg to differ simply because this statement simply depicts 1 scenario.

Now I'm not necessarily saying or agreeing with Mia staying or going here ...
I'm simply trying to point out that Ross could simply move the team to an even more coveted
market by the NFL than S. Fla.

Los Angeles.
Fla already has 2 teams & the league has already stated it would like to fill a void in what is
recognized as the 2nd largest market in the NFL. (as far as advertisement revenue & 2nd only to N.Y.)

Just sayin, that I don't agree at all with the statement of:
"The NFL would not allow the Dolphins to leave".
Mullarkey I say !!!

Especially if you provide a more lucrative venture with long term implications & the all powerful Dollar$.
Moving the Phins to new stadium in S. Cal alone would increase the value of the franchise.

just saying, there's "more than 1 way to skin a cat".
sug
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's just trying to play for leverage. No way the Dolphins leave Miami.

Nacho Simulation Football League
WAR ENSEMBLE

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Dolphins in Miami??? Unimaginable!
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
dolphan9954 wrote:

I'm simply trying to point out that Ross could simply move the team to an even more coveted

Los Angeles.
Fla already has 2 teams & the league has already stated it would like to fill a void in what is
recognized as the 2nd largest market in the NFL. (as far as advertisement revenue & 2nd only to N.Y.)

Mullarkey I say !!!

Especially if you provide a more lucrative venture with long term implications & the all powerful Dollar$.
Moving the Phins to new stadium in S. Cal alone would increase the value of the franchise.

sug

The problem stems from Ross owning the stadium...he could move the team, but what would he do with a stadium that doesn't have a major sports franchise attached to it.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
Realistically, Mr. Ross isn't making ambitious demands. He wants $ 200 Million of public money to match his personal $ 200 million contribution to upgrade the stadium. Besides Met Life Stadium, not major project has been financed without public money. Eventually, the state legislature needs to budge. It'll happen, just give it time.

He isn't even asking for that from the way I understand it. He is asking for a 200 million dollar loan. That's all. He is basically asking for an interest free loan for the same reason that other for profit organizations ask for loans from the government to support projects. The government can borrow money for pennies on the dollar compared to the interest rate Ross would have to pay on his loan. A revenue bond generally has very low interest rates for 2 reasons. It's completely tax free income for most investors since it's a municipal bond. And it's backed by tax revenues that are MUCH more stable than revenues tied to a buisiness that could fail tomorrow. Many revenue bonds these days cost in the range of 2 or 3% interest. Ross might be looking at twice that at a minimum.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the picture above, do you see the Dolphins representatives meeting with state officials asking for the money? Now look up again at the picture. Do you see the elephant? Thats the Miami Marlins.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 11, Tackles 11 Assists 3 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1
Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 11 : Death 30 Joe 34
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
dolphan9954 wrote:

Los Angeles.

Mullarkey I say !!!

sug

Why would the NFL move the Dolphins? Just like when ATL threatened to leave for LA, everyone knows the NFL won't let that happen so nobody takes it seriously. The only true large market team that could go to LA is SD, and that doesn't displace a fan base.

The Miami Dolphins are one of the five most historic teams in NFL history, South Florida is a premier destination for Super Bowls and potentially the Pro Bowl.

The thing you have to look at, is Miami is a top 20 media market, and as the NFL you need as many teams as you can get in the top 20. The realistic move would be to move someone like Jax, Buffalo or SD, teams in markets outside of the top 20, into the top 20.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: